• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. Taxes and older Rangers

The crazy prices of used vehicles are affecting more than you think. Carvana wants $20K for old Rangers. Now the chickens are coming home to roost. Virginia, like some other states, has a personal property tax on vehicles. It is paid annually to the locality (city or county) and is based on...
  2. Shift tubes a problem on older Rangers?

A member on another forum (not automotive) mentioned he had had to replace the shift tube on his 1998 Ranger for the second time. Here's what he said: When I asked why this happened, here was his response: There don't seem to be any threads here discussing having to replace the shift tube...
  3. Suppose I wanted separate turn signals in the rear...

The 1993–2012 Ranger taillamps all had (or appear to have) the same shape, so physically they will fit. The lenses and light functions were different depending on year. The brake lamps and turn signals use the same bulb filament behind a red lens for 2006–2012. Suppose I wanted separate amber...
  4. Factory running board rusted. What do you think?

Discovered today that the right (passenger's) factory chrome-plated running board that was installed when the truck was new has serious rust on the inside toward the cab and around the holes to attach the plastic step cover. Chrome-plated stuff is prone to rust once the coating is compromised...
  5. Surprise on 2011 extended-cab 2wd 4.0 drivetrain...

The Haynes manual and other sources indicate the later extended-cab Rangers all had 2–piece driveshafts with a center bearing. I was under my 2011 last week to change the diff oil and noticed right off (pleasant surprise) that mine has a long single driveshaft from tranny to diff. The center...
  6. Small trucks (including Rangers) as future classics on another forum

Rangers included, of course, and I'm a member there with the same user ID. Enjoy. https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/small-trucks-will-become-americas-future-classics.344894/
  7. What was in the optional "Light Group" on later Rangers?

My 2011 has the plain red third brake light on the cab. By chance I found out the cargo lights with the red/clear brake light lens were available as part of an optional "Light Group" package that my truck doesn't have. What else did the package contain? I would guess the package included...
  8. Vent repair to radio bezel

Maybe this description of a quick repair will help some of you. On most Rangers the radio bezel has two vents at the top. On my 2011 the vent deflector on the left (driver's) seemed to be broken, and the one on the right was a bit loose. Neither deflector would stay in position. I found a...
  9. Instrument light replacements

Thanks to this site for carrying the instructions with clear pictures for replacing instrument panel bulbs. That helps a lot. Having the bulb number needed is another big help. The Haynes manual says to "remove the radio", which did not seem to make sense. Now I see I just need to loosen the...
  10. 5R55E lifetime?

In your experience, how long (miles) will the 5R55E in later Rangers hold up? The truck had 101,000 miles when I bought it. The very next day after delivery a local shop flushed and changed the ATF and filter for me. The shop had a BG machine, so I'm sure the trans has BG's ATF (I believe...
  11. How do you feel about changing a water pump as preventive measure?

The 2011 Ranger I bought has 102,000 miles and it's time to change the original coolant. Ford specifies 105,000. I have the 50/50 Motorcraft Gold coolant to match what's specified. No reason to go to another type of coolant, I don't think. To avoid draining coolant again sooner than...
  12. How to remove dash panel under steering wheel on 2011?

To replace the turn signal relay on my 2011, I was able to reach above the OBD port and feel where the relay is (I think). There really isn't enough room to work. I want to remove the plastic dash panel under the steering wheel and the metal panel behind it to be able to see and reach. My...
  13. Strange noise and gremlin in dash

Hi, new member, posted an introduction in the intro forum. Have a question about a weird thing. 2011 XLT Supercab 4-door, 4.0 V-6, 2WD An electrical noise appears with the truck running or off. It sounds like a fan grinding or a worn-out buzzer. It's coming from around the instrument panel...
  14. New member

Hello everyone, just bought a 2011 Ranger XLT Supercab 4-door 2WD with the 4.0 V-6 and automatic. It has the factory tow package, which will be handy as I have a small cargo trailer for hauling trash and brush. This truck was clean and had just over 100,000 miles. It was used as a trade-in at...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad