• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. What did you do to your Ranger today? (Part Deux!)

Do you have a large life insurance policy with the GF as beneficiary, and does she know anything about brakes? :LOL:
  2. Apparently what I "wanted" to do tonight was...

Okay, I'll ask. What movie is that?
  3. Please elaborate on what you use to prevent seized brake drum

Ditto for putting oil on threads before assembly. Torque should be reduced to account for the oil as well. Given the problems I've always had with corrosion causing seizure, most fasteners probably should have some sort of antiseize, especially in parts exposed to heat, chemicals such as salt...
  4. What did you do to your Ranger today? (Part Deux!)

If you replace one valve, rule of thumb says replace them all. Same with lifters, valve springs, etc. Don't replace just one. Call it the "Lay's potato chip" rule.
  5. Please elaborate on what you use to prevent seized brake drum

I've always heard your way was the proper way to self-adjust rear drum brakes (pump brakes while moving in reverse).
  6. Working the clutch- ankle or knee?

You guys are making me glad my Ranger is an automatic. My knees aren't shot, but they aren't the best either. :LOL: When I seriously started Ranger shopping, I would have preferred a four with a manual. The best Ranger I found and could get my hands on, the one I got last year, had the 4.0...
  7. 30-31 Model A

I would wisecrack about someone parting out a new Maverick truck already, but I know better. :LOL: It's impressive you found one of the old Mavericks somewhere. Everyone rags on '70s cars, but in some ways they were better than a lot of more recent stuff. Also, remember that 8–inch rear is...
  8. What did you do to your Ranger today? (Part Deux!)

On Saturday (was really tired after the trip and slept a lot on Sunday, so sorry about the late post) I drove the Ranger down to Ocracoke on the Outer Banks of North Carolina. This was a 400+ mile round trip. Left at midnight Saturday morning and got back at about 8 pm after a side stop in...
  9. Mileage and limited slip differentials

Especially about what not to do... :D
  10. What did you do to your Ranger today? (Part Deux!)

I assume you mean to get parts and not to junk the Ranger, right? :unsure:
  11. Mileage and limited slip differentials

Absolutely change all bearings and seals while it's apart. That includes the axle bearings and seals at each end by the wheels. The cost of those parts is minimal compared with the hassle of pulling out the axles again later. Remember you will need to add limited-slip additive to the fresh...
  12. how do i make the tachometer work in my truck?

Wait a minute. If the truck didn't move, you've got bigger problems than the tach. Right? :unsure:
  13. expensive cleaning mistake, plastic intake dissolves.

Holy moley. I would have stopped with throttle body cleaner. You would be surprised at the chemicals that can damage plastic or at least mar the finish. That includes the detailing sprays such as Armor All, if left on when it's hot outside. Even Kroil penetrating oil and Marvel Mystery Oil...
  14. New Owner - Want to Make it a Hobby

Yes, extended cab. Ford called it the SuperCab. Yours appears to be the 4–door version. If it wasn't extended, the rear glass would be right behind your headrest. In Mexico and South America Ford had Rangers with a true 4–door crew cab. :love: We got the Explorer Sport Trac instead. :rolleyes:
  15. 1998 Ford Ranger XLT Super Cab, 4X4, 6" Lift, 4.0L, Super clean vehicle!

Hmm. 217,000 miles. And when you look at the details, it says new engine, repainted body, and other things that suggest it needed some serious work. What happened to require all that work? No mention of rustproofing or undercoating either. What kind of shape are the frame and undercarriage...
  16. Tool box?

If you have a Tractor Supply near you, look at their tool boxes. Theirs are popular out my way. One later Ranger in my neighborhood has not just a cross-bed box, but long tool boxes mounted on top of the bed sides. They have the same diamond-plate finish, and I think all came from Tractor...
  17. Can you put 2000 4x4 Ranger shocks on a 2000 RWD Ranger?

Yeah, as Uncle Gump mentioned, if the 4WD shocks are longer fully compressed, you could bottom them out and tear up other things. Maybe you could look at aftermarket springs. Just thought about this: check the "sagging" springs carefully for damage. Coil springs can crack and break, though...
  18. Power windows shuddering when lowering

The can I have is red, CRC Heavy Duty Silicone 05074. Make sure it has the applicator tube taped to the can. You need that tube. It goes without saying, but just in case, here goes: this is not an application for anything like WD-40. That stuff will attack rubber stripping. Stick to silicone.
  19. Engine’s happier when I abuse it

Chapap, only on real performance applications do you see a choice of heat range for spark plugs. Racers want to vary the heat range depending on the type of racing and endurance, but that seldom applies on the street. Usually Ford (or Chevrolet, Toyota, etc.) picks the best compromise for the...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad