• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. Bill

What did you do to your Ranger today? (Part Deux!)

The 4.0 uses 5w30 due to the design of the oil pump and it's inability to maintain adequate oil pressure at operating temperature using 5w20. That engine design comes from a V4 designed in the early 60s. It's big, fat, inefficient, and clunky when compared to the newer engines. Don't compare...
  2. Bill

Today I drove my Ranger to the place that sells Mexican food and bought a grande fajita burrito.
  3. Bill

Will it hurt my engine or not?

I really don't think it is going to make a difference in fuel economy unless there is a load placed on the engine such as towing or driving uphill, but not for normal freeway cruising where the same speed is maintained.
  4. Bill

Does a car’s year legally mean year

I think that generation is a better looking truck than the tenth generation.
  5. Bill

Does a car’s year legally mean year

Model year and assembly/production date are two different things. I had a 1997 Ranger that was built in December 1996. The legal requirement that goes along with this is a model year must have a production date no earlier than the year prior to the model year. A 2023 model year can be built...
  6. Bill

That still requires removing the valve cover. If I were to use a sealant I would use Aviation #3 because I can disassemble stuff after using it and it is easier to prep the surfaces with it for a new gasket. However, the molded rubber gaskets used now only require sealants where they cross...
  7. Bill

I haven't been on the board, so time to catch up. I noticed an oil leak which appears to be coming from the back of the valve cover. I re-torqued the valve cover bolts and noticed two in the back were loose. I wiped the oil off so I could see if tightening the bolts made a difference. I also...
  8. Bill

Are you rebuilding that engine, or do you have another one ready to go?
  9. Bill

I replaced the oil separator. So much for the instructions that state you only have to remove the tire, splash guard, and slide the coolant hose out of the way. I ended up having to unbolt the wiring harness to get access to the bolts and still had difficult with two more bolts. Especially the...
  10. Bill

What Are You Listening To???

11. Bill

I tried troubleshooting my high idle between shifts problem today, but it only did that about three times. The rest of the time the engine was running like it was new. Weird. I ended up adjusting the rear brakes because the adjustment mechanism isn't working and the parking brake wasn't...
  12. Bill

I had a camshaft position sensor fail on a 4.0. It threw a code, but the engine ran relatively fine, but wasn't quite as responsive as it could have been.
  13. Bill

There's nothing complex about it. The camshaft position sensor was mounted on what was the distributor housing and was synchronized with the camshaft. Distributors were driven by a gear via the camshaft and sent the spark to the appropriate cylinder as it turned. In the case of the camshaft...
  14. Bill

Where did you buy the mudflaps?
  15. Bill

I'm still having problems with the high idle between shifting. Something new: I ran the air conditioner yesterday because it almost reached 90° here. There are two new things going on when the air conditioner is running. The first is the idle runs higher between shifts and stays high for about...
  16. Bill

Intake manifold and cyl. head full of carbon buildup.

That's exactly what it's for.
  17. Bill

I used the formula from this website after correcting the mathematical syntax: https://www.motor.com/magazinepdfs/082010_05.pdf 800 rpm ÷ 2 (for 4-stroke cycle) ÷ 60 seconds in a minute = 6.67 power cycles per second 6.67 (2.261L x 1.184 grams per liter) X 15% Volumetric Efficiency = 2.68...
  18. Bill

It has a MAP sensor. I think most engines have a MAP sensor now as it assists with engine management at different elevations and as a backup for limp mode if the TPS or the MAF quits working.
  19. Bill

Roughly, it is based on displacement. A 4.0 will suck in twice as much air as a 2.0. There are other factors that come into play. Elevation - air is thinner at higher elevations, so that would reduce the amount of air pulled through the intake. Cold air is denser than warm air, so...
  20. Bill

I finally got around to checking the brakes to see if they need anything. They are in good shape, but I'm still going to replace the semi-metallic pads with ceramic because I'm tired of the brake dust. Since I've put just under 4,000 miles on the blend of different brands and weights of oil I...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad