• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. stmitch

2013 C-Maxx opinions

I have the same power train as the CMax in my Fusion Energi. It's been flawless for 60k miles. They make a standard hybrid CMax and PHEV Energi trim that can do local trips on electricity only. I think they're really decent deal. But I wouldn't buy one that I couldn't drive.
  2. stmitch

Ecosport/Fusion questions...

Many CVTs use bands or cones that tend to wear quickly. The hybrid ones are completely different. They're the component that enables switching between the ICE and electric drive. There's really nothing that can wear out in the hybrid CVTs that Ford and Toyota use. Ford and Toyota hybrids are...
  3. stmitch

2000 3.0L Flex Fuel Vin V - Rough idle, Misfire codes, P0174 P0171 lean codes. Cannot figure out the problem

Your local parts store probably rents compression testing equipment
  4. stmitch

Ecosport/Fusion questions...

Eco sports don't have a great reputation. Fusions do. My 2016 Fusion Energi has been flawless for me. It had 23k on it when I bought it and I've added another 37k. The lifetime fuel economy hovers around 90mpg in the summer (I charge on a regular 120v outlet nightly and do a bit over half of my...
  5. stmitch

2000 3.0L Flex Fuel Vin V - Rough idle, Misfire codes, P0174 P0171 lean codes. Cannot figure out the problem

Since you've got misfires for specific cylinders, I think it's worth swapping fuel injectors from those cylinders to other cylinders to see if the misfires follow the injectors or if they stay on the same cylinders. That would at least tell you if there's an issue with the injectors or not...
  6. stmitch

Shop wall materials?

Ha! The floor is super resistant to most automotive fluids, but it does have a long sheet of cardboard underneath just in case!
  7. stmitch

Shop wall materials?

Steel liner panel is great...until you try to hang something on it. I went with painted OSB, and added FRP board to the lower 4 ft with PVC base board for a bit more protection down low. The ceiling will end up being white liner panel to reflect light and be easy, but I didn't want to deal with...
  8. stmitch

Pics of my rig

Thanks! The front brakes use a custom made kit. There was a forum member back in the day that designed and made a couple of dozen kits. The details change a bit depending on the year and suspension of the truck they're installed on, but the basic idea is a Ranger brake rotor is turned down to...
  9. stmitch

Pics of my rig

I suck at updating this thread. Sorry! Can't believe it's been 10 years since I started this thread. Life has changed a lot in the last 10 years, and house projects, kid stuff, etc have pushed the truck down the priority list quite a bit. I still have the truck, and it gets driven occasionally...
  10. stmitch

Ranger Thunderbolt?

The Thunderbolt did come with thicker front/rear sway bars in addition to the cosmetic stuff and optional intake/exhaust. All of the Thunderbolt stuff was sold a la carte as Roush parts for a few years too.
  11. stmitch

Duratec 2.3 reliability

The Duratec is probably the most modern engine Ford put in the older Rangers. They make more power and torque than the older Lima 4 cylinders while also getting better fuel economy and having lower emissions. They're super reliable as long as you watch the oil level (they don't have a ton of oil...
  12. stmitch

New low emissions, hi torque engine

There are already plans for CA to ban the sale of new ICE passenger vehicles by 2035. Other states are likely to follow. Personally, I think concerns about 'the grid' are valid but typically overblown. For the most part, we make enough total power now, we just have to be smarter about where/when...
  13. stmitch

3.0 performance mods

Turbo 3.0's have been done, as have supercharged. Not sure if any of them will pass emissions tests or not. If we're following the spirit of the emissions laws, then the same thing that keeps a 5.0 from being viable would keep modifications like boost or aftermarket cams/heads/etc from passing...
  14. stmitch

3.0 performance mods

Not sure really. I've never looked at a 3.0 SHO engine. The internet says that they share some basic dimensions but not much more than that as far as I know. I'm not sure what (if any) performance gains might be had with a SHO short block. The real performance advantages for those engines comes...
  15. stmitch

New low emissions, hi torque engine

Cummins is working with achates on a larger 4 cylinder version for military applications: https://www.cummins.com/engines/defense/advanced-combat-engine They're definitely interesting power units, but by the time they're production ready in another 2-5 years, there will be a bunch of...
  16. stmitch

3.0 performance mods

Not really. Vulcan's didn't share much with any other Ford engines. You can mix/match different years of upper intake manifolds if you prefer aluminum vs plastic (this may require switching the lower intakes too, or drilling/tapping the bolt holes). Technically, flex fuel Vulcans should have...
  17. stmitch

AJE Ranger K-Member Who's Done It!?

I'm really liking the direction of this project! Which gearing option did you select for the TKX?
  18. stmitch

The Ford Maverick is coming June 8th

An 03 Extended cab Ranger was 203" long, 69" wide and 65-68" tall
  19. stmitch

The Ford Maverick is coming June 8th

As we've pretty much known for awhile now, it's FWD standard, unibody, shares a platform with Escape/Bronco Sport, etc. What we didn't know is that in standard form it comes as a hybrid with 40mpg, that it starts at $20k, and that it's very close in size and capability to the older rangers that...
  20. stmitch

Seeking Balance from the wise.

Yeah, if OP's truck is the 01 in their profile we can ignore any talk about steering boxes or pitman arms.