• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. 4x4junkie

Power Steering Fluid Change Mercon, Mercon V, Mercon LV

I lost faith in Ford's fluid recommendations after all that went down. I've seen (and experienced myself) many a M5OD shifting illness with Mercon V (and unfortunately the problem doesn't seem to go away by switching back to regular Mercon again either.... Maybe if you change out the fluid 10 or...
  2. 4x4junkie

Bronco II rear seat delete/cargo area modifications

Thanks guys. I've made a few updates since that page on BII Corral was written (64" Chevy rear leafs, an onboard welder, and ditching those god-awful Goodyear MT-Rs, among some other littler stuff that can be found on my BII build page), however since then I haven't really had any major updates...
  3. 4x4junkie

Considering Rough Country Springs and Shocks

Stay away from Rancho (been there, done that). 70-80% of everything Rancho I've ever owned failed in some way or another. If Bilstein is too $$$, maybe look at KYB. Their "Gas-A-Just" shocks are quite good and are about the same cost as the bottom rung of Rancho's offerings. Only thing is they...
  4. 4x4junkie

D35 TTB with Limited Slip Carrier from D35 Jeep Rear?

The D35 TTB uses reverse-cut (a.k.a. reverse-spiral a.k.a. reverse-rotation) gears, so you would need to use the TTB (Ford) gears.
  5. 4x4junkie

Cab swap on a 1996 4x4

×2. 2WD Rangers are quite plentiful still, and can be real cheap if you happen to find one in non-running condition. Finding one with good paint though might be a bit tough, the paint on these seems to last maybe 10-15 years at most unless you can find one that spent much of it's life garaged...
  6. 4x4junkie

86 Standard cab, can I fit 5x7's on my door without interference with the window?

The factory speakers on mine are almost right where you have your red circle As for the wire harness, on mine it appears to go behind the fender (between the inner & outer fenders) all the way up to the front and then connects to another harness right behind the headlight (both sides). Kindof...
  7. 4x4junkie

86 Standard cab, can I fit 5x7's on my door without interference with the window?

I have Pioneer 6x8s in the doors of my '90... I would think the interior of the doors on your '86 are similar enough, which if so, 5x7 or 6x8 should fit. There may already be a pre-cut hole behind there. On mine I had to of course cut the hole out a little bigger, but everything went smoothly I...
  8. 4x4junkie

2G to 3G confusion.....

Looks like you've got some pretty deep modifications done to your wiring (Ford never used spade connectors here, for example)... If it helps at all, years ago I swapped out the 2G unit for a 3G on my '90. Going by recollection, the two larger output wires from the 2G output plug (the plug...
  9. 4x4junkie

Anyone ever make a "temporary" bed?

Laws in different states vary, but I would think that as long as there is some sort of fender (like) coverings over the rear tires and there is something to function as a bumper on the rear of the frame with lights & red reflective tape attached, you'd be legal (don't forget to attach the rear...
  10. 4x4junkie

What is wrong with my locking hub...?

That sounds to me also like something in the hub isn't engaging or releasing right (though it's not possible for the axle shaft to stick out too far unless the seal at the rear of the spindle is hosed, which that may be something to check for as well). If the seals are fine, then I'd suggest...
  11. 4x4junkie

Front differential leaking, safe to drive in 2WD mode with front hubs unlocked?

Indeed it is because it's additives are too slippery for the electromagnetic spin-up clutch to spin the front driveshaft up to speed properly. If it takes too long to spin up before the shift happens, the difference in speed between the t-case itself and the front driveshaft causes the shift...
  12. 4x4junkie

M50d r1 oil

I've seen some issues with Mercon V causing hard shifting in a manual trans... I recommend (specifically): "Dex/Merc" fluid. It matches the original Mercon specification for the M5OD transmission (all before 2008). If you want a synthetic, Royal Purple Synchromax should be a good bet that is...
  13. 4x4junkie

M5r1 should I rebuild it found "shavings"

Hard to tell from your pic how much depth is left on the friction material on your clutch disc... I would suggest that if it's the original clutch, go ahead and replace it since you got everything apart. Things to replace: Clutch disc, Pressure plate, Pilot bearing, Release (a.k.a Throwout)...
  14. 4x4junkie

Shock mounts

It's pretty tight under there, but here's as good a pic I could do... I cut the original mount (red line), welded a 3/8" thick plate onto it, then welded the top part of the mount to the top of the 3/8" plate (grinding it down a bit to account for the thickness of the plate). Finally I welded a...
  15. 4x4junkie

What causes battery crusties

"Maintenance-free" batteries having lead-calcium plates produce very little gas under normal circumstances (virtually all conventional "wet" batteries are this type nowadays). Older "low-maintenance" type batteries of decades ago (with lead-antimony plates) gassed out much more while charging...
  16. 4x4junkie

Shock mounts

A little bit of creativity will be needed to raise the upper shock mounts, this is true... (they are mounted inside the c-channel of the frame) On my BII I cut the mounts just below where the upper stud is, then welded in a section of 3/8" steel plate to raise it, then added a couple gussets to...
  17. 4x4junkie

bronco 2 on 35s, what gears best? 4.56 or 4.88

You're using an OD transmission with your swap... No question, 4.88:1
  18. 4x4junkie

Duff dual shock tower with skyjacker arms

The JD coil mounts make it easier to fit early Bronco or Jeep coil springs that have a lower PPI rate for more articulation.
  19. 4x4junkie

What causes battery crusties

My experience with this issue has generally been because acid slowly seeps out from under where the vent caps are pressed on, and eventually the acid makes it's way over to the terminals, causing the crusties (the caps are just a plastic-against-plastic seal, and not a very good seal at that)...
  20. 4x4junkie

Shock mounts

Do you have a suspension lift on it (at least 3" or so)? If so, putting shorter shocks on after you raise the lower shock mounts shouldn't be a problem (you may need to lower the rear bump stops slightly). If no susp. lift, then you'll probably want to raise the uppers as well. The one-ahead...