• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. How tight should valve cover bolts be?

Hi there, I was just installing my valve covers and tightening down the bolts when the threads stripped out of one of the holes on the lower intake manifold. Now I have to go get it drilled out and have a helicoil placed in there. My manual said that these bolts should be tightened between 3 -...
  2. Lower Intake Manifold Edge Not Quite Flush With Header (see pics)

I recently installed the lower intake manifold gaskets on my 4.0 V6 and torqued them down to spec. The edge of the valve cover gasket surface on the lower intake manifold seems to be sitting just a hair proud of the gasket surface edge of the header. Is this a problem, or am I okay to go ahead...
  3. Broken fuel injector. Can I replace just one? Or the tip of this broken one?

Hi there, I was cleaning my fuel injectors last night and managed to drop the sixth and final one I was cleaning. It hit the ground and cracked/removed the plastic tip-thing as seen in the photo. Should I just replace the whole injector? Or can I replace just that plastic part (the metal tip...
  4. Please help! Some questions on a 91 4.0L OHV Lower Intake Manifold and Valve Cover Gaskets Job

I am preparing to do the lower intake manifold gaskets, fuel rail gaskets, and valve cover gaskets on my 91 4.0L OHV. I have been referencing this thread, which has been incredibly helpful, but I still have a few questions. My main question is this: 1. Should I try and find a one piece lower...
  5. Belt on wrong side of pulley? 1991 4.0L

Hi there, after looking at engine diagrams, it looks like my belt is on the wrong side of the idler pulley (red arrow in pic). Can anyone confirm this for me? Strange, because I have had this car for 3 years now and only just noticed this. The belt has been like this the whole time.
  6. Help with overall build plan/ideas! '91 4.0 XLT

Hello there. This is my 1991 4.0L XLT that I am hoping to fix up. As this is my first project car, I am trying to put a plan of sorts together. As I think through the various options and components, I get overwhelmed pretty quickly. I was recently told about the semi-popular 2.3 turbo engine...
  7. Transmission (M5R1)/clutch issues rabbit hole

1991 Ford Ranger 4.0 RWD Main problem: I have a hard time shifting from 1st to 2nd, and sometimes into 1st. There is no grinding, I just have to push/yank the gearshift to get it in gear. I changed the transmission fluid, but realized that there is a broken seal/gasket where the driveshaft...
  8. 9" drum brake issues: can I reuse cylinder if piston came out?

Hello there, I am new and hopefully follow protocol here. I have a new-to-me 1991 2WD Ranger (4.0) with 9 in drum brakes. I am currently replacing them and have 2 questions. 1) I was surprised and disappointed when pulling off the drums to find that some of the interior parts were incorrectly...