• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. Happy Thanksgiving! Hearing a grinding sound during ignition. Is it my starter? (See video)

Thanks. I'm assuming if I pull the starter, then that is where I will see the teeth of the flywheel? And what is the best way to rotate the engine? Breaker bar on the crank bolt?
  2. How to: replace valve cover gaskets, fuel rail gaskets and lower intake gaskets

Thanks, 97RangerXLT. It looks like I used too big of a torque wrench for the job and just pushed past the limit. A good - and frustrating - learning experience for me.
  3. How tight should valve cover bolts be?

Thanks, RonD. You have helped me several times now and I really appreciate it. I have the 4.0L. Looks like I need to get an inch-pounds torque wrench. I used a big one and that it was did it I think.
  4. How tight should valve cover bolts be?

The lower intake manifold gasket is metal with rubber inlays. The valve cover gaskets are some sort of plastic-rubber combo. Am I good to reuse them? You are saying to do finger-tight then a 1/4 turn? Or just re-do with an inch-lb torque wrench?
  5. How to: replace valve cover gaskets, fuel rail gaskets and lower intake gaskets

Hi there, How tight should the valve cover bolts be? My Haynes manual says between 3 and 6 foot-lbs, but even with my torque wrench set at about 4.5 foot-lbs, it was too much force and stripped out the threads of the lower intake manifold bolt hole. Now I have to get it drilled out, helicoil...
  6. How tight should valve cover bolts be?

Hi there, I was just installing my valve covers and tightening down the bolts when the threads stripped out of one of the holes on the lower intake manifold. Now I have to go get it drilled out and have a helicoil placed in there. My manual said that these bolts should be tightened between 3 -...
  7. Lower Intake Manifold Edge Not Quite Flush With Header (see pics)

Thanks, RonD and Dirtman. I plan on putting some RTV on those spots, so hopefully it will be fine.
  8. Lower Intake Manifold Edge Not Quite Flush With Header (see pics)

I recently installed the lower intake manifold gaskets on my 4.0 V6 and torqued them down to spec. The edge of the valve cover gasket surface on the lower intake manifold seems to be sitting just a hair proud of the gasket surface edge of the header. Is this a problem, or am I okay to go ahead...
  9. Broken fuel injector. Can I replace just one? Or the tip of this broken one?

Hi there, I was cleaning my fuel injectors last night and managed to drop the sixth and final one I was cleaning. It hit the ground and cracked/removed the plastic tip-thing as seen in the photo. Should I just replace the whole injector? Or can I replace just that plastic part (the metal tip...
  10. Please help! Some questions on a 91 4.0L OHV Lower Intake Manifold and Valve Cover Gaskets Job

I am in the middle of this project now and noticed that my valve cover bolts were only about hand tight when I took them off (!). Can I/should I put loctite on them when putting them back on? Also, I noticed this small wire that connects to the lower intake manifold was exposed. Do you think...
  11. How to: replace valve cover gaskets, fuel rail gaskets and lower intake gaskets

I am in the middle of this project now and noticed that my valve cover bolts were only about hand tight when I took them off (!). Can I/should I put loctite on them when putting them back on? Also, I noticed this small wire that connects to the lower intake manifold was exposed. Do you think...
  12. Please help! Some questions on a 91 4.0L OHV Lower Intake Manifold and Valve Cover Gaskets Job

Hi Eddo Rogue, Thanks for your thoughts - it is really helpful. When you say soft wire wheel, do you mean brass? Did you have any worries about scratching the mating surfaces? How do you have your injectors cleaned? Did you do it yourself or take them somewhere?
  13. Please help! Some questions on a 91 4.0L OHV Lower Intake Manifold and Valve Cover Gaskets Job

Thanks, RonD. Can you help me understand which are the coolant ports and which are the air passages? I circled one set in green and what I think is the other in blue in the attached pic. What I don't understand is how the rest of the edge (circled in yellow) seals if I only put RTV in the...
  14. How to: replace valve cover gaskets, fuel rail gaskets and lower intake gaskets

First off, a huge thanks to you, 97RangerXLT. So cool that (1) you wrote this amazing write-up and (2) that you have been answering questions from people on the same thread for over 10 years! I will be doing this project soon and have a few questions about the process. I actually started a new...
  15. Please help! Some questions on a 91 4.0L OHV Lower Intake Manifold and Valve Cover Gaskets Job

I am preparing to do the lower intake manifold gaskets, fuel rail gaskets, and valve cover gaskets on my 91 4.0L OHV. I have been referencing this thread, which has been incredibly helpful, but I still have a few questions. My main question is this: 1. Should I try and find a one piece lower...
  16. Belt on wrong side of pulley? 1991 4.0L

Yes, I saw this diagram too. I guess it should be on the inside. Thanks!