• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. Alternatives for intermediate steering shaft 1992 2wd

My 1992 4.0v6 2wd extended cab Ranger is getting closer to 300K miles. But, it has a lot of play in the intermediate steering shaft. It's at the point where you have to oscillate the steering wheel back and forth to get it go straight. I know this part is no longer available. Is there a...
  2. Kick down cable adjustment procedure

Got my rebuilt A4LD installed and am back on the road with my 92 4.0 OHV. I had to replace the kick down cable as I discovered it was broken and probably had been for many years. Problem now is when I get on the road, as soon as I put a little foot into it, it kicks out of OD right away. It...
  3. Oil pan bolt torque?

What is the correct torque for the oil pan bolts on the 4.0 OHV V6. Is it the same for the two torx bolts on either side of the rear main seal?
  4. 4.0 OHV oil pan removed; next steps...

I raised the engine and was able to drop the pan in my effort to replace the leaking pan gasket. Now with the pan off, I wonder if there is anything else I should do like torque the bolts on the bottom or replace the oil pump? The engine has 265K but is still running very well. I wonder if I...
  5. 4.0 OHV Motor Mounts

Do the OEM motor mounts in a 1992 4.0 OHV 2wd Ranger last the life of the truck? I'm going to lift the motor to fix an oil pan leak and wondered if I should do the mounts at the same time since they would be easy. They are almost 30 years old with 250 K miles on them but I haven't noticed that...
  6. 4.0 OHV Oil pan gasket replacement

The A4LD in my 1992 2wd Ranger is going to be pulled out of the truck for a while and I was wondering if this makes it easy to remove the oil pan to replace the leaking gasket. I had heard the 4.0 OHV V6 had to be pulled out to do this and I was hoping that is not the case.
  7. Improving Engine Cooling

I am looking at what I can do to improve the cooling on my 1992 4.0/auto extended cab Ranger. It generally runs cool except when towing. One thing I notice is that while the clutch fan looks to have the stock shroud around it, the fan sits almost in the open, closer to the water pump and not...
  8. 4.0 OHV Rear Main Seal

Back in the day, when I bought my first '92 Ranger new, the dealer had to replace the rear main seal in the 4.0 OHV V6 three times until it stopped leaking. Now, I have newly acquired, used '92 Ranger and it too has a leaking rear main seal. I have having the transmission replaced and figured...
  9. Its A4LD time again...

It was just six years and 10K miles ago that I bolted in a beefed up A4LD transmission into my '92 4.0 2WD extended cab ranger. It worked fine up until this weekend when it started slipping out of OD when on the freeway. My local shop took off the pan and found a lot of clutch material in the...
  10. Cooling System Upgrade

My 92 extended cab 4.0V6/auto has always run a little on the hot side when towing. I plan to tow a lot this summer and was thinking of upgrading the original radiator. I don't see any evidence of leaks nor loss of coolant but it is old and I don't want any trouble on long trips. I've replaced...
  11. Valve Cover gaskets on 4.0 OHV

Back in the day when I drove a 2.8L V6 Ford Capri, it was easy to pull the valve covers to adjust the valve clearances and replace the gaskets. On my 1992 4.0 OHV Ranger however, things don't seem so easy. The A/C plumbing looks like a problem for the left side cover and the right side cover...
  12. The gas gauge and the slosh module

After parking my 1992 Ranger in a field over the holidays, I jumped in it to haul a trailer to the dump. Right away, I noticed something strange, the fuel gauge was bouncing around between empty and full and even past full. Since the truck had been parked so long, I forgot how much fuel was in...
  13. "Rear Antilock" light on in my 1992

The Rear Antilock light is comes on and stays on in my 1992 Ranger after driving a short distance. I redid the brakes about 6 months ago and had no problems since then, however now the light is on. I believe this is a simple rear brake system only. How can I trouble-shoot this type of problem...
  14. 1992 Door Speaker Replacements?

I'm replacing the power window mechanisms on the doors of my 1992 extended cab Ranger. While I'm in there I through I would replace the speakers since one is cracking. Any recommendations on an exact fit and impedance match speaker as I want to continue to run the stock stereo. I might...
  15. Silicon cooling hose kits for 4.0 V6

It's getting hot and now my water pump just blew its seal. I'm going to replace it along with all the hoses but would like to do that with a silicon hose kit. Does anyone know if a silicon hose kit is available for the 4.0 V6? I have a 1992 but don't imagine the hoses are much different...
  16. Windshield/Headliner leak

My 1992 Extended cab Ranger just developed a leak in the upper-right corner of the windshield that results in a wet headliner. I had a few rock chips in the glass so I had the windshield replaced on Friday. It rained Saturday and I had the same soaked headliner in the same spot. I'm wondering...
  17. Rough Idle...

My 1992 4.0/auto extended cab Ranger runs exceptionally well even with 250K on the original motor. But, every once in a while, if I backup and stop a little abruptly (like when you trying to back into a parking spot quickly on a busy street), and then park, when I first start it up some 5-30...
  18. 1992 Ranger Headlight Adjustment

The headlights on my 1992 seem to be aimed to low in front of the truck. I adjusted the vertical rods as much as I could to raise the beams but the aim is still too low. Is there any other vertical adjustment other than the vertical rods on these headlights?
  19. D -> P rpm drop

Lately, I've noticed when shifting from drive to park (or drive to neutral) in my 92 4.0 Ranger, the rpm drops by 50-100 rpm from the usual 650 when in drive. I imagine rpm would go up slightly or perhaps stay the same when shifting from drive to park since there is no drive line drag on the...
  20. Adding Pics to Album???

Is it me or has it gotten really difficult to upload new pictures to existing albums? No way I could find a link to Add/upload new pics.