• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. fixizin

These NASTY tar-like black patches inside the seatbelt retractor slots??

WTHey they be for?... sound-damping to prevent the rapidly retracting belt from slapping the sheet metal of the B-pillar?... err whut? :dunno: After 22 years of Vegas heat, Phoenix heat, and So-Fla heat, the one on the driver's side let go, and the adhesive on the backside stained the shyt out...
  2. fixizin

More than one shade of "tan" interior... oh well.

Apparently all Ranger sun visors go "limp" over time, in my case just the Driver Side, thought I had a good junkyard score from a 2001 Exploder Sport-Trac, BUT... not so much. Oh well, at least I have a makeup mirror on the driver side now... in case I find a GF who lies about "can't drive a...
  3. fixizin

UNused CONNector, Left Front, Underneath, XL trim...? (see pic)

Having owned the beast for 21.5 years, I'm sure I've seen it before, just never hit my "HMMMmmm" button... Body-to-Frame mount in upper right, amber running light framing lower part of pic... seems like a pretty clean connector for hanging out in the breeze... doesn't look high amperage...
  4. fixizin

Where does this anti-chafe SPRING attach for Left Rear P-brake cable?

One end done rusted off, it did... does it just go in a hole in the ladder frame? Here's how I found it, just flopping against the leaf spring... you can see it has chafed away most of the chafe-protection. Here I've just wedged it against the frame... looking for a likely attach...
  5. fixizin

>>> any Exploder / Sport-Trac REAR bumpers fit Gen IV (1999) Rangers? <<<

Don't know if the fairly adequate Ranger brakes aren't enough for the add'l weight of RBVs, or if said RBVs attract a different personality type (lulz), BUT... there's a LOT more Exploders and -Tracs at da U-pick-it yard here in So-Fla... ... and they gots da better visors, bumpers, etc... and...
  6. fixizin

Why so little about the 4.6L V8?

Just wondering... that mill seems to get quite a lot of accolades, and has some serious followers... and it came in the Exploder for many years... but no love from the Ranger community? Is it lame in the torque dept. er whut? Found one in the U-pick yard, 2006, clean looking... hmmm...
  7. fixizin

What BRAND is the OEM Alternator on ye olde Vulcan? BOSCH? Hitachi? AC-Delco?

After 21 years I think my alternator (or rather, the embedded Voltage Regulator) is overcharging my battery. It may be squeaking a bit too. On my old Mazda B2000 4-banger, the alternators were Mitsubishi, and BAP/GEON had them cheap. I doubt Ford or Mazda started making their own, so whose do...
  8. fixizin

> MAF HIGH (P0103) followed by MAF Low (P0102)... is that how they "burnout"??

I must say, things are running a lot more "sane" on MAF Low--except for the dying at idle half the time--lots o' HEEL-TOE practice. IT ALL STARTED with a STALL seconds after (Florida) "Cold" Start--I possibly gave it some gas--had been driving a classic carbureted vehicle recently... the...
  9. fixizin

Move fusebox aside to reach clutch master cylinder?

Seems I saw a video "somewhere", eons ago, where you could detach the underhood fusebox, and there was enough slack in the wiring harness to move it well away from the left fender, and thereby have MUCH greater access to the clutch master cylinder... what's the trick, where's the hold-down...
  10. fixizin

NO, not MAACO! Need Paint&Body recommends in Ft Laud, FL area...?

Time to put some resources into my trusty steed... only 78k original miles on a '99?... oh yeah, she's worth preserving. But, in my many decades on Terra, I've never known a single soul who was smiling and using clean language after picking up a vehicle from MAACO... but damn, they do spend on...
  11. fixizin

Use XG-8 "baby blue" grease on PVH hubs?

You know the stuff, pure synthetic, designed by FoMoCo to end the infamous Driveshaft Clunk, and, as an added bonus: safe for all plastics. :unsure: Any reason to NOT use it? There's traces of some kind of dried up grease in there, probably NOT XG-8... Mostly Duh PVHs just seem to run OK...
  12. fixizin

That *other* (Outer) 4x4 front hub O-ring!

OK, did not want to muddy up thee most excellent thread dealing with the 3.50" I.D. O-ring on the backside of the sealed front wheel bearings: https://www.therangerstation.com/forums/index.php?threads/4x4-front-hub-o-ring.57238/ <<--must be sticky-ed or Tech Lib'd! Instead I wanted to have a...
  13. fixizin

>>Plot THICKENS: "DEATH WOBBLE" afflicting my 4x4 (Torsion Bars) Ranger--missing PVH hubs allow half-shafts to flop around!!

Symptom: when hitting a "sharp" bump at speeds over 40 MPH, (feels like) right front wheel starts VIBRATING the whole truck to the point that image in rear view mirror is blurred... LOUD wheel-RPM-dependent moan/buzz as if tire is shredding itself. Have to slow to 10 MPH to make it...
  14. fixizin

Where to buy VACUUM lines? How to spec them??

There's a WHOLE lotta vacuum lines in Ye Olde Rangers, in many sizes, controlling everything from the infamous PVH front hubs, to the fuel modulator overflow(?) thingy, to the heater core cutoff valve (which blocks coolant flow when on MAX A/C), to the... ... and mine are plumb DRYING OUT and...
  15. fixizin

1-piece driveshaft CLUNK: which end of boot to UNclamp??

... I'm thinking the FRONT end, since the driveshaft is the female side, and slips over the transfer case stub, so more likely to get grease into the actual splines from the front...? ALSO, do I actually have to drop the driveshaft to make sure the uber-grease gets into the splines, or will a...
  16. fixizin

So the 76mm dia. pulley goes on the tensioner, and the 91mm... ??

... goes on the idler, up top... or the other way around? Long-short I've replaced both over the years (but not the tensioner itself), and IIRC I should be running (w/ A/C) an 88.2" drive belt, but instead I've had to run an 89.1" belt to keep the tensioner in the range-band... :icon_confused...
  17. fixizin

Fuel MIXTURE seems to vary ALL OVER the place!...??

Started out as this "ROUGH AS CRAP" below 2200 RPM problem... http://therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161830 ... which was "improving" over time, i.e. only having to drive 3 miles until it "smoothed out", instead of 5... this MIGHT have been due to running E85, and then PREMium 91...
  18. fixizin

Suddenly running >>ROUGH AS CRAP<< below 2200RPM!

DAY-um, just started out the blue the other day, made me think I'd gotten REALLY bad gasoline (+ water), but it had been 4 days/80 miles since I filled an almost empty tank... didn't think it'd take that long to manifest. Like it's running on 4 cylinders, tiny bit of surging, but mostly cutting...
  19. fixizin

3.0 runs significantly COOLER on full SYNTHETIC oil!

Back in early February I gave my low-mileage (52k) Vulcan a "transfusion"... got a sweet deal on a K&R filter and... Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30, and immediately noticed the (factory) temp gauge was down at the 20-25% point, rather than the usual 45-50% range. At first I thought well, it's "winter"...
  20. fixizin

SO... there's no room for aftermarket Diff Cover on Dana 35...??

... i.e. the FRONT diff on 1998+ 4WD Rangers... or is there? This one from SOLID Axle is sweet, and on sale... http://solidaxle.com/ProductCart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=32&idcategory=7