• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. gw33gp

New catalytic converter pipe failure.

I installed a complete Walker catalytic converter system last year in July. A couple weeks ago on my way to work in the morning, my exhaust suddenly got really loud. I thought my Gibson cat back with over 250K miles had finally failed. When I got to work I checked it out and the Gibson system...
  2. gw33gp

O2 sensor question

I have not replaced my O2 sensors in over 150K miles. I am noticing fuel mileage starting to drop, but my Ranger is still running great. I thought I would try replacing the O2 sensors since they are overdue anyway. A question is, would worn upstream O2 sensors have the most affect on fuel...
  3. gw33gp

Inner tie rod replacement

I replaced the inner tie rods this weekend and was surprised to see how easy it was for the most part. I did buy the inner tie rod tool from Harbor Freight which helped a lot. Yes, you can use a pipe wrench also but you have to turn the steering all the way out and I think the force used to...
  4. gw33gp

Inner tie rod information

I am getting near doing an inner tie rod replacement. I understand a crowfoot wrench can be use to loosen and tighten the inner tie rod. Does anyone know what size the hex is on the inner tie rod? I have a set but may not have the right size. I could order the a new inner tie rod and measure...
  5. gw33gp

Clutch slave bleeding with white paste coming out?

I recently installed a new clutch and slave. I initially did a gravity bleed and that seemed to work okay but the clutch was engaging closer to the floor than I was used to. After driving it a while like that I bled it again with the clutch pedal depressed to build up pressure in the slave. I...
  6. gw33gp

Water pump with no bypass port.

I wanted to replace the water pump in a recent engine tear down. When I when I went to install it I realized the connection for the bypass hose was not there. There was no hole in the water pump for the stub pipe or any indication of any attempt to have one there. I am guessing it was a...
  7. gw33gp

Surprises when doing tensioner and guide replacement.

With 254K miles, I decided to do the full tensioner and guide replacement. First surprise was both cam chain guides were in good condition and functioning normally. The second surprise was the tensioner for the crankshaft to jackshaft was completely broken off. The guide was still there but...
  8. gw33gp

Need serious techincal advice on my M50D transmission.

On my way to Kansas from CA my M50D transmission began popping out of 5th gear so much, I had the drive most of the way in 4th. My brother is a professional mechanic and has his own shop in Kansas. We dropped the transmission and opened it up to have a look. We can find nothing wrong but have...
  9. gw33gp

4.0 SOHC pulley bolt

I am gathering parts to replace the timing chain cassettes and other related parts in my 4.0 SOHC engine with over 250K miles on it. I plan to do this work later this year. I have found Ford part numbers for almost everything and confirmation they are the parts I need. The one thing I have...
  10. gw33gp

Discount code

I placed an order for $1,000 worth of parts with RockAuto. I used the discount code and did everything as I have done in the past but got no discount this time. Has something changed about how to use the discount code? I am not allowed to reply here so I will just edit this post. Jim, I used...
  11. gw33gp

Diagnosis of a clogged catalytic converter.

A couple days ago I was driving about 80 mph, keeping up with SoCal freeway traffic. Suddenly, I noticed I was slowing down without letting up on the accelerator pedal. I stepped on the pedal a little and it just bogged. I moved to the right lanes as it slowly reduced speed. I had to feather...
  12. gw33gp

Free 2001 to 2005 Chrome Bumper

I don't want to throw this bumper away if anyone can use it. It is the original bumper for my 2002 FX4. It is still in pretty good condition but a trailer and the tow vehicle rolled into it and put a small dent in it. The person responsible offered to by a new bumper so I accepted. The...
  13. gw33gp

Max A/C temperatrue control

In another thread on A/C, I posted a question about being able to control temperature while in the Max A/C position. I want to do this because it recirculates the cabin air instead of bringing in outside air. This would help keep dust, smoke, foul odors, etc. from entering the cab without...
  14. gw33gp

Off-road drivetrain issue.

I just spent a week on an off-road trip in Western Colorado and Eastern Utah. A issue came up that I have not experienced before. When going downhill in 4 WD low range and going around corners I would get this thump from the drivetrain with the truck slipping forward a little. It was almost...
  15. gw33gp

Stock lower ball joint replacement

I just went through replacing my lower ball joints. I did a search to get tips on how to do it and it seems most people remove the caliper and hub to take on this project. I decided to see if there is a way to do it without removing the hub. It looked like removing the torsion bar and...
  16. gw33gp

Questions for BW 1354 transfer case experts

I recently disassembled my TC and found everything to be in good condition at 234K miles. The bearings were still in excellent shape so I just installed new seals and a new chain (it really didn't need it). Once everything was back together it shifted manually as it should and everything...
  17. gw33gp

Had transmission checked out

I had to take my transmission out to replace the slave cylinder that had a very slow leak when cold. I decided to take the transmission to a rebuild shop to have it checked out because it has almost 243K miles on it. It was working perfectly with no unusual noises with the exception of a very...
  18. gw33gp

Rear main seal

It seems that OEM rear main seals (part number F5TZ-6701-A) have a metal sleeve that is pushed on the crank with the seal. Is this the proper seal to use? Is there another OEM part number that does not have this metal sleeve? I know there are after market seals that can be used that don't...
  19. gw33gp

Rebuilding transfer case question.

I am preparing to pull my transfer case and do at least a partial rebuild. My Ford repair manual indicates the rear output flange nut requires a torque of around 260 ft lbs. Is that correct or a typo? That seems to be very high. I don' have a torque wrench that goes that high. It also...
  20. gw33gp

Transmission rebuild shop

I am thinking about getting my Mazda manual transmission rebuilt while I have it out to install a new clutch slave cylinder. I am not having any problems with it but do get a slight rhythmic bearing type sound from the transmission when in first and cruising. It has been doing this for a...