• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. 3.73 vs 4.10 gears - fuel economy?

I have a 3.73 I have a 3.73 rear end , open differential. I'd like to have an e-locker and 4.10 gears in it someday.
  2. 3.73 vs 4.10 gears - fuel economy?

I towed my boat and trailer from Maryland to Kentucky and back with a 2000 2.5 with 5 speed. Old steel trailer + 3 marine batteries + boat + outboard were about 1800lbs I'd guess. It was wood runabout, 2 rows of seating. 200lb outboard. Other than having to go into 3rd through the mountains a...
  3. 2.9L Head Gasket replacement

They have a tester that fits on the radiator cap that fills with fluid, the fluid changes color if their is exhaust gas in the cooling system. This can also be a useful tool for testing for a cracked head or head gasket. Good to hear that it sounds like you solved your problem without...
  4. Never received title

I had good results on my last motorcycle with one of the online title companies.
  5. Vin locations

Not defending OP, but I bought a Jeep once many years ago and accidentally did laundry with the title in my pocket ruining it. The seller was moving and his cell number was disconnected. I called the West Virginia DMV as it had been a WVa car, I was told I would have to let them verify the VIN...
  6. Why did you choose a Ranger?

I had a couple Rangers in the past, this one came to me on more interesting circumstances. I was driving my F250 to Baltimore and hit a hellacious pothole in an industrial area that snapped my leaf spring hanger and sent the leaf spring up through the bed. Parts I needed weren't available for a...
  7. Woah Black Betty, the Danger Ranger!

Cool project, how did the truck do on the BLM and forest roads in 2wd open diff configuration? I've thought about adding one of those e-lockers to both of my last couple 2wd rangers. It seems to have stopped snowing in the winter here though for the last 3 years so I'd lost my motivation.
  8. Dealership service quote, advice needed!

Another option if you don't have a setup for pressing the u-joints yourself is to pull the driveshafts and take them to a garage with a press. I took three with me one day and they pressed in 6 of my new joints for $50 and I took the driveshafts home and re-installed. I've had mixed luck with...
  9. Rear turn signal bulbs come on when applying brake

Thanks for the assist Eric. I got under the truck after work and checked everything out, the ground looked ok. I removed the wirenut where the trailer hitch got power and there was some corrosion so I cleaned that off. One of the crimped on butt connectors was a little loose on one of the other...
  10. Rear turn signal bulbs come on when applying brake

Hello, was hoping someone could point me in the right direction of what kind of wiring problem to look for on my tail lights. It is a 2000 Ranger 2wd , 2.5 4 cyl manual transmission regular cab. When I hit the turn signal I get the fast flashing bulb, when I apply the brake pedal I get my tail...
  11. 2.5L ('98-'01) Upstream Oxygen Sensor Replacement Experience , get the thread chaser!

So as Walt correctly predicted, 2 miles after putting in the new upstream sensor and resetting the computer the check engine came back on, guess that downstream one is needed. Is there a negative performance effect from not having it? I seem to have a bit of a bog/misfire occasionally with the...
  12. 2.5L ('98-'01) Upstream Oxygen Sensor Replacement Experience , get the thread chaser!

Unfortunately the cat / exhaust system was cut off of my truck before I got it and I just ran some new pipe from what was left to a new muffler and tailpipe. I was under the impression the secondary o2 sensor didn't play much of a role in computer input/performance. Is that accurate ?
  13. 2.5L ('98-'01) Upstream Oxygen Sensor Replacement Experience , get the thread chaser!

About a week ago I set about to change my upstream O2 sensor as it was throwing a code , I tried getting it off with a variety of open end and crows foot wrenches and it was not happening even with multiple PB Blaster soaks. I finally got an O2 sensor socket and it took all 220lbs of me and a...
  14. Tow hitch that mounts further back

Hello all, I have a 2000 ranger. Back of my frame has a bit of damage from previous owner, my bumper is bolted in but it took some shimming with washers and it's not perfect. Frame is fine and straight back a foot or so from the end. I was wondering if there was a tow hitch that bolts in...
  15. 87 fuel Canister, figuring out if it has a filter

I am trying to track down some backfiring and low power on hills/throttle issues and starting with fuel and electrical systems. I seem to smell some gas at the tailpipe and in the filter area after hard driving, i could somewhat smell gas around the canister this evening (did not drive it today)...