• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. Shran

4R55E delayed/no shift into Drive

1995 Ranger, 4.0/auto. Was my fiance's grandpa's truck and it has just a hair under 88,000 miles on it. He told us that he had the trans rebuilt years ago, but it was parked for several years so it doesn't have many miles on it. I didn't get any paperwork with it and I kind of question why it...
  2. Shran

Deer season 2020

Who has filled their tags so far? I got mine last Saturday, medium size whitetail doe and my fiance got a young whitetail buck on Sunday. We got about 45lbs of meat from the pair, kept a couple back straps and a couple roasts and ground up the rest with 20% bacon ends & pieces. I'm not a...
  3. Shran

2.3L ('83-'97) '88 2.3 weird fuel pressure readings

I am kind of at a loss on this. 1988 Ranger, 2.3 Back story: this truck has run weird for as long as I've had it (about 6 years.) It spits and sputters when it's cold and runs a lot better after it's warmed up. It has been getting progressively worse. Now it has an obvious miss even when...
  4. Shran

Need paint spray gun recommendations

I'm thinking about buying a sprayer for painting my stepside truck, probably my Explorer later on, and my F150. Currently I have the $15 Harbor Freight purple gun. I have painted a fair bit of stuff with it using Rustoleum and similar paints so I guess I am familiar enough with it but I don't...
  5. Shran

For Sale FS: 1990 Ranger engine, 2.3

Probably a long shot but I am parting out a 1990 Ranger and will not need the engine (2.3, 8 plug.) Seems to run really well. Very dirty. Odometer shows 32071 - I am guessing from the condition of the interior, it probably has 132k on the engine but who knows. I have the long block by itself...
  6. Shran

Neat little truck with bonus quiz

Here's a cool little rig I ran across - 4 cylinder, 4x4 trucks are kinda hard to find! Unfortunately most of the glass is gone, I can't get a title and it has been sitting for a long time so it'll be a parts rig. Quiz: what exactly makes this an exceptionally desirable truck? There are two...
  7. Shran

The cast iron thread

Who else on TRS is a cast iron user/collector? I am both... more of a serious user, my "collection" is pretty hodgepodge but I've run across quite a few pieces over the years that I just really like using. I'll start, I usually find cast iron at yard sales and thrift stores. The only piece...
  8. Shran

"Barn" find '95

My fiance and I took a trip up north of Bismarck this weekend to pick up her new Ranger. This truck has been in her family since new and was most recently driven by her grandpa, who can't drive it any longer and offered it to her if we go pick it up. I was under the impression that it had been...
  9. Shran

Electrical code

Does anyone have access to the up-to-date NEC code book and/or do we have any electricians on the site? I have two electric meters on my property, one old one on the house (100 amp, overhead service) and a new one on my shop (200 amp, underground.) I want to subfeed the house off the shop and...
  10. Shran

Removing 4.0 OHV cam sensor from cam synchronizer

I seem to be finding conflicting information about this topic. The truck in question is a 1994 Mazda B4000 that has the early style cam synchronizer with the window on the top. Someone prior to me broke the electrical connector off the back of the sensor and it's just dangling. I would like...
  11. Shran

M5OD has begun popping out of first and sometimes second

I will preface this discussion by stating that I rebuilt the trans in question, I have successfully rebuilt several others and have had a bunch of them apart and am looking for some experienced guidance on how to proceed. This is all in a 1992 Explorer and the goal was to get a trans with lower...
  12. Shran

2020 Utah Overlanding trip

Just returned home from a weeklong adventure camping trip in south eastern Utah. We drove in and met some friends from Texas near Bluff and then we did a bunch of sightseeing in the Butler Wash area where we found numerous ancient Indian ruins. From there we moved on to a super cool high...
  13. Shran

2.5L ('98-'01) Cheap fix for cracked oil pan?

I acquired a '98 Ranger, 2wd, 2.5L for $100 recently and have got it running, but have discovered that the oil pan is cracked right under the drain plug. Anyone successfully fix something like this before? My gut instinct is to let as much oil drain as possible over several days (in progress...
  14. Shran

M5OD shifter stub length FYI

Most of you will probably never run into this issue, but I did. My buddy and I had four transmissions torn down at once and piles of parts that got assembled into two good ones. One of them happened to be a 2wd 3.0 trans with a speedo gear - so probably 97? or older. We used the top cover...
  15. Shran

M5OD breather tube/fitting/location

So this was a real treat... I got my rebuilt M5OD installed, put a couple hundred miles on it to break it in, and went to change the fluid while it was still warm. Apparently at operating temp it is pressurized, imagine my surprise when I got blasted with a 6' jet of ATF when I pulled the drain...
  16. Shran

"Predator" Ranger

???? Found this locally on Facebook Marketplace, I have no relation to the seller or the truck. It is absolutely hysterical. "This is a one of a kind 13 hp predator truck. This machine is completely STREET LEGAL and has a top speed of 32 mph. It is a good 4x4 with a 5 speed and high and low...
  17. Shran

XLS Ranger

This is not really "rare" per se but it's definitely uncommon enough to document, and it has a couple neat features that have been discussed recently, namely the swivel map light and roll up center console. Additionally, it has the XLS body trim. I've seen XLS Bronco II's before, I think those...
  18. Shran

M5OD technical question - 30 vs 36 tooth 5th/reverse cluster

I have four M5ODs torn down right now - an '88 4 cylinder, two 93/94 4.0's, and one mid 90's 3.0. As you can probably guess, I am doing the lower gear mod on the two 4.0 cases. I have run into a slight hangup with the '88 trans. It has a 36 tooth 5th/reverse synchro ring. The synchro itself...
  19. Shran

Dana 35 3.73 gears

I have two sets of gears available - ring and pinion only - from Dana 35 (TTB, 97 and older) that were removed to install deeper gears. They were functional when removed and should be usable. I hate to throw these away, they are free, just pay shipping on them.
  20. Shran

Master cylinder push rod length

Here I am again with another obscure problem... I put that 2nd gen dash in my '88 Ranger along with 2nd gen pedals. I had an assortment of master cylinders, hoses, and whatnot to use including one that I think was from an Explorer. I had to use a different hose (different quick connect...