• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

new shifter kit leaking M5od

vagabond80

U.S. Military - Veteran
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock 4wd
Tire Size
31x10.5R15
Hi folks,
I recently put a junkyard m5od in my 87, and replaced the shifter bushings with the kit from allstategear "M50D Ranger F150 Shifter Repair Kit, M50-SK". The trans already had 3 metal rail plugs when I got it
I'd used the same kit on another m5od without issue.
After a few long highway drives I noticed a couple drips of ATF coming down. not much, but a noticeable amount just after driving. doesn't leak when sitting.
I finally pulled my jerryrigged shift-boot cover off the top expecting to find the rail plugs leaking, but the wetness is all the way up to the "stick shift boot retainer" plate, and all around front to back.

My question, was I supposed to put any kind of sealant or something else on the top retainer?
there's a thin paper gasket on the top-cup for the flat surface of the trans, and the rubber that surrounds the shift lever...
The rail plugs don't -appear- to be leaking, I think its all coming out the top. I wiped the top cup off with a shop towel and reassembled.
Any thoughts on what I've done wrong here? I used Mag1 DEXRON III/MERCON ATF thru the fill plug.

Thanks

Last edited:

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual

vagabond80

U.S. Military - Veteran
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock 4wd
Tire Size
31x10.5R15
I was looking in the Ford manual on the M5OD here. https://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/pdf_documents/ford_m5od_manual_transmission_shop_manual.pdf

and the first thing that jumped out at me reading the troubleshooting chart where it says oil leaks, that the tranny could be overfilled. You said you filled it from the top, but did you fill it to the bottom of the plug on the side of the trans or does it have more oil in it than that?
I've been considering this... I used a tube with a hand pump into the fill plug (top plug, not thru the shifter opening), filled till it began running out of the hole.
I wouldn't think I could have gotten so much in above the fill hole that it would over pressurize out the top, especially still after leaking some out, but I've been wrong before

I suppose an obvious step is open the fill plug and see if anything comes out, but gotta find a level surface where I can do that now. My last spot is unavailable.

Last edited:

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
You are ok if you filled it from the hole in the side. I thought you may have filled it through the shifter hole in the top. You can keep reading on in the manual to see if it says anything about that gasket on the shifter. A little sealer could not hurt I would think.

Jazzer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I used a very thin coat of sealant on my M5OD’s shifter retaining plate gasket. Might help can’t hurt.

-Jazzer

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals