• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What did you do to your Ranger today? (Part Deux!)

Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I took it for a drive to Costco to pick up a pizza, and over the last several days I tested how well the A/C would work in 115° heat. The temperature coming out of the vent was between 45° and 52°. OBD 2 states the coolant temperature was around 190° to 195° while the intake was sucking in 134° air over 12 lanes of asphalt on US-50. If I got on the gas it would go up to around 200°.

I also discovered ONE advantage to 115° weather, and that is takeout pizza remains hot on the trip back home.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
you don't see many mosquitos in that temp, either

BiggSherm1988

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Total Lift
none...yet
Total Drop
not for me
Not today but over the long weekend.

Installed 2 pioneer 8" subs in a sealed box, 1500 watt amp, all new door speakers, 800 watt amp, and some fancy amazon special carbon fiber nock off mud flaps.

The box is just temporary. I had it left over from another vehicle. but the sub amp is mounted to the bottom of the driver side jump seat and the door amp is placed under the passenger side jump seat. once the box is sorted both jump seats will be fully functionable.

James Morse

1997 XLT 4.0L 4x4 1999 Mazda B3000 2wd
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 and 1999
Make / Model
XLT 4x4 & B3000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L in XLT, 3.0L in B3000
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5-15 K02's on the Ranger, 235/75R15 on Mazda
My credo
The perfect is the enemy of the good.
Replaced taillight lenses. Both had holes about the size of a quarter at the bottom. They passed it for inspection before I bought it a year ago, but they shouldn't have... and chances are for me they'd fail. Rock Auto ones are cheap and fit and look just great.

Weird thing here where because of 'demic you have 3 mos add'l to get inspection... but... you can still get stopped for bad equipment, and if you do, you get a ticket for that, PLUS a ticket for inspection out of date. In other words not inspected is ok for 3 mos as long as you don't get stopped (can't be a "primary" offense) but it can be a secondary offense if stopped for anything else... not worth the chance.

You can't get an inspection appointment unless you go to a dealer. Otherwise, you are leaving your vehicle in line at a place for, literally, days. Since the price of inspection is so low, they get addressed last after / in between any paying work. Kind of a mess if you ask me. They were doing similar thing with plates/registration last year, if you had a DMV appointment, you could drive with temp plates even if expired.

If you fail inspection you get 15 days to fix stuff or you are up a creek. I don't think there's an extension on that, so, you kind of want to make as sure as you can that you are going to pass it.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
we had extensions too, and maybe its still ongoing but i get to anxious driving with bad stickers. i just go during work hours when the lines are zero to almost zero at the inspection stations

Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
you don't see many mosquitos in that temp, either
I've seen quite a few dead insects from the heat. I think the mosquitos stay close to water when it is hot.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Sounds like 60x100 would solve that problem
At this point I’d be happy with being able to get the 18x28 I have up. Be even better if I could get two more frames for it to get it a little longer and maybe build a lean to off the side. Eventual plan is a 40x80-100 with a loft and basement. I need a backhoe and money though. For both.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
At this point I’d be happy with being able to get the 18x28 I have up. Be even better if I could get two more frames for it to get it a little longer and maybe build a lean to off the side. Eventual plan is a 40x80-100 with a loft and basement. I need a backhoe and money though. For both.
You need to get ready for the trip.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
I've seen quite a few dead insects from the heat. I think the mosquitos stay close to water when it is hot.
They stay in the shade under the taller grass and stuff like that. Mosquitos are part of everyday life here. And we near the water, 1/3 of a mile to the ocean :(

broncc

Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
My credo
Giving my truck more money than it deserves.
Been driving the bronco entirely too fast through the woods and doing sweet jumps. Hit/landed on something particularly nasty and it pushed the wheel into the fender and crunched it. Just hammered it back straight tonight.

IMG_20220909_194147950.jpg IMG_20220909_204301080.jpg

I was just rushing to get it done so no before image. The metal is a little streched inside the fender, but the outside profile is correct. Now I need to find out why I have positive camber on one side and negative on the other...

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Been driving the bronco entirely too fast through the woods and doing sweet jumps. Hit/landed on something particularly nasty and it pushed the wheel into the fender and crunched it. Just hammered it back straight tonight.

View attachment 81851 View attachment 81852

I was just rushing to get it done so no before image. The metal is a little streched inside the fender, but the outside profile is correct. Now I need to find out why I have positive camber on one side and negative on the other...
You probably bent something.

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
Trimmed the fenders and made upper coil retainers. The coil retainers were easier than I anticipated. Some 1/4” thick 2.5x3.5” angle iron with over sized washers to clamp the coil to the coil bucket without having to drill holes in the coil buckets.

4F3C2F7B-7D9E-4B83-9B00-B7602D7500AB.jpeg
4B799F99-0C34-4A86-915F-94D762B2FCB5.jpeg
B5C0EAC3-6270-41FA-9930-A483B8A9F66D.jpeg
73D5C1F0-07DF-4EAB-A296-541D96B450AA.jpeg

Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I cursed at it because it stalled twice due to the high idle, then dropping to 500 rpm and long term fuel trims that behave like there's a vacuum leak.

And while I'm complaining about this problem again, I'm going to complain about many of the automotive forums. I posted this issue on several forums thinking I would get some reasonable feedback. What did I get? People insisting that this is normal. 1200 rpm is normal when you are coming to a stop, not 3000 rpm. People telling me to clean my injectors, replace seals and gaskets AFTER I mentioned that I replaced these items. If someone wants to be helpful they can start with reading and comprehending the description I posted. Then there were the people who suggested various snake oils and "mechanics in a bottle." Someone suggested filling the intake with Seafoam to clean it. Then there were the people who like gas treatment to absorb water out of the gas tank and clean the injectors or the odd mention of how they used Marvel Mystery Oil and it fixed their idle issues (no, it didn't). There's also quite a few posts on forums with this problem, but they dead end with no resolution posted. People on the internet can be frustrating.

Maybe I didn't get much in the way of good replies because I posted too much technical information.

Anyway, Marvel Mystery Oil is good for breaking down carbon if you let it soak overnight in warm weather. So, it does work for something.

I think I'll go stare at my truck tomorrow and decide which part to randomly swap out and hope it fixes the problem.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals