• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What mounts are the easiest

Benny87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Doing my first v8 swap what mounts are the easiest I have seen a bunch of different ways but is the mustang convertible mounts the easiest or what running a 302 with a aod

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I was going to use the Mustang convertible mounts to put the 351 into my 93 but the Anchor brand mounts I got from Napa were made wrong and wouldn't bolt to the engine. I reused the old 302 mounts that were in the truck when I got it and I regret it. It has adapters that bolt to the frame with the common 60's and 70's truck mounts on the engine, it's hard to impossible to adjust or neutralize them. I'd either find a better brand of convertible mounts or use the 4.0 mounts and adapters if I did it again.

35Remmy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Benny I responded in a previous post earlier that I am using the James Duff heavy duty mounts....they are VERY well built, with poly busings etc...could not be built any better in my opinion. However the instructions on where to drill your new holes into the crossmember are terrible and I simply could not go by them. Their measurements were totally wrong and not even close compared to what hole they want you to measure from and mark based on the existing holes in my crossmember...('88 2.9)....not necessarily their fault as i am sure their are many variations over the years. As stated before, I had to use my C4 to locate the engine with the mounts bolted to the block to figure out where it wanted to land, also taking into consideration its position based upon header clearances in side each of the frame rails. With the bellhousing bolted up and the trans mount loose, i lowered the hoist and marked as best as I could where the engine mount studs landed on the crossmember....then centered a punch and marked these locations. Man idk if there is a better way but by the Grace of God it was perfect.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I used the Mustang convertible mounts. I would not go that route again, I feel that they make the engine sit too high which also affects how far back you can put it.

Benny87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
So the convertible mounts supposed to fit in 2.8 2.9 an 4.0 mounting location I am not sure also seen conversation plates that mount to the motor an drop on the stud they look like they would make the motor to far forward I don’t know yet wanted to get it done I have everything minus the mounts an don’t really know what route to take

Elutheros

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I bought the flat steel mounts another member was making for $20 and they fit right on top of the old 4.0 mounts. I had to drill an extra hole to make it work for my application, but I like them. My transmission sits on the original mount and I cut the front core to move the radiator forward 2". I have room with the Explorer FEAD to use the OEM Explorer fan or an electric. Somewhere recently I saw those mounts for sale--can't remember what site I was on.

Benny87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Elutheros I think there the same ones on eBay you would know but I am going to run the 4.0 rad with a big electric fan to see how it dose my truck is lowered so the The height on the engine and the position I would like to keep try to keep the same I believe the motor mounts that you’re talking about the flat piece of metal with two holes drilled in the bolt and the slot hole to move the motor back-and-forth let me know if that’s the same one there on eBay typing V8 swap motor mounts and they pop up

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
The convertible mounts do not fit the stock V6 mount holes. Not even close.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
4.0L mounts and adapter plates from Rick's Rangerz

Haven't installed myself, but a lot of people use this combo. Have had a set of L&L swap mounts I got cheap over a decade incase I ever got around to doing a swap, but didn't really like them. Like the Rick's Rangerz setup better so I ordered a set a couple of years ago to put on the shelf for future use.

Last edited:

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
For low 2 wd applications usually better off making your own

2drxploder

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
lower
Tire Size
235 on 15s
ricks mounts here, used his trans crossmember for the t5 too

.38spl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
My credo
James 1:19
I started with Fox Vert mounts, ended up with a contraption that moved the engine 1.5" forward and 1" up, along with redrilling the crossmember because the Vert mounts didn't line up with anything whatsoever.

I am using a stock 5.0 F150 oil pan. I've also slid the engine forward enough that my valve covers will come off and clear the brake booster and the heater box. I reworked my core support so that my radiator is mid mounted to buy extra room, but that also means that my engine, transmission, and transfer will all come out the front in one piece.

There's a dozen ways to go about this, and none are going to be all direct bolt in.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals