• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Remove oil pan 1990 Bronco2 ?

AvlAndrew

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco ii
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I need to tear down my engine. Id like to tear it down while still installed. I think I have a bearing that needs to be replaced. Question; is there enough wiggle room to remove the oil pan?

ecgreen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
If I where going that deep, I would remove the engine. removing the 2.9 is not that hard. I can have mine out in 30 minutes at this point. Also, reinstalling that oil pan correctly would be so much easier on a stand.

Even so, if you want to do it while its installed, I am guessing you would have to remove the front axle and front cross member. Not sure. Look forward to seeing what folks say.

AvlAndrew

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco ii
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If I where going that deep, I would remove the engine. removing the 2.9 is not that hard. I can have mine out in 30 minutes at this point. Also, reinstalling that oil pan correctly would be so much easier on a stand.

Even so, if you want to do it while its installed, I am guessing you would have to remove the front axle and front cross member. Not sure. Look forward to seeing what folks say.
30 minutes, that's impressive.

Do you have any tips for installing engine/mating engine to auto transmission?
That specifically gave me a hard time.

ecgreen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
30 minutes, that's impressive.

Do you have any tips for installing engine/mating engine to auto transmission?
That specifically gave me a hard time.
OK maybe 45min lol! Even so, I have it down pretty good now, but 30min was my best time. Anything below the heads, and she comes out. Even heads are so much nicer to do on a stand.

Tips for mating to auto...none. I have a manual. Find the right angle and she slides in.

I am guessing someone on here has done an oil pan without lifting the engine out.

Northidahotrailblazer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
8 inches
Tire Size
37"
To get the oil pan off you have to pull the transmission, and undo the motor mounts and lift the engine up high. The cross member is riveted to the frame and not easy to remove, and you would have to unbolt the motor mounts anyways. It is easier to pull the engine.

Auto trans is easy. Make sure to unbolt the torque convertor through the starter hole? or its through the inspection cover on the bottom of the bell housing. Bell housing bolts and it slides right out.

Idk about 45 mins, but with my body lift, it made things extremely easy. My rig is pretty high also, so it doesn't need to be on blocks. If i remember right I had to pull the tires and lower it one of the times, I don't think my transmission jack went high enough if i remember right lol

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
Would you rather wrestle or wrench? me I would rent a cherry picker and yank the thing to wrench proper and comfortably. once its back in, a floor jack and 2x4 under the crank pulley should give the flex a roo you need to finagle the trans back in. Nothings too heavy on a ranger, especially compared to a 1 ton dodge diesel. NV4500 is a big heavy trans.

AvlAndrew

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco ii
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks for the advice.
I am tired of removing the engine without a lift... I am going to talk to a local shop and see what they will quote me for removal/install.
Ill do a quick rebuild and save myself the driveway headache... one day soon I will have my own home garage with a lift :))

ecgreen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
Harbor frieght lifts are wicked cheap and they work well BTW

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals