• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1998 ranger 4.0 swap?

Jeeker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger ( T
Transmission
Manual
Hi looking for advice on putting a 1998 4.0 motor into my 1994 Ranger 4x4 totally out of desperation to get my Ranger back on the road? the 4.0 is available for me at this time
would it bolt up to my 2.3 Standard Tranny? also will there be any alignment issues with this ?
thank you a bit green but willing to do the work myself?

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Will not bolt to the 2.3 trans. What engine does the truck have now? I looked it up and it should have a 2.5 engine?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
1988 and up Ranger 2WDs use the M5OD-R1(M5R1) manual trans

These do not have detachable bell housings so are Engine Specific
2.3l, 3.0l and 4.0l transmissions are NOT interchangeable, will not bolt to any other engine except the size it was made for

Engine computers and wiring harnesses are also Engine Specific, and in most cases YEAR Specific
Up thru 1994 Rangers used 60-wire computers, EEC-IV and OBD1
In 1995 and up they use a 104-wire computer, EEC-V and OBD2

To do the swap you would need a 1990-2000 4.0l 4WD M5OD-R1 trans to go with the 4.0l engine, needs to be 4WD trans so you can used your 1994 transfer case

Also would be an easier swap using 1990-1994 4.0l manual trans computer and wiring harness, but can use the 1998 4.0l computer and wiring harness, just more wiring needed, if the 1998 is an automatic then there may be some running issues for computer, still drive-able

And just as a heads up
If your 1994 is a 2.3l SOHC then it can only be replaced with a 1989 to 1994 2.3l SOHC, the 1995-1997 2.3l SOHC won't work, nor would the 1998-2001 2.5l SOHC

Last edited:

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Will not bolt to the 2.3 trans. What engine does the truck have now? I looked it up and it should have a 2.5 engine?
I got that mixed up didn't I? 1998 is the donor into a 1994. Sorry about that.

Jeeker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger ( T
Transmission
Manual
Thank you Both for trying to help me, i got the truck from someone who put a 2.3 Turbo in it! It ran ok for a couple years but was never that great from the beginning it leaked oil and ran Hot all the time,Not to long ago one day it just basically stopped running and i limped it home now there she sits for about a Month now? its a super clean truck for these parts of the country(New York) i would really like to restore it to normal state and ditch the Turbo thing?
I guess i would just need another 1994 4x4 motor and tranny and basically switch it out Everything!!
thanx again for your advice
Best Regards
Marco

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
Thank you Both for trying to help me, i got the truck from someone who put a 2.3 Turbo in it! It ran ok for a couple years but was never that great from the beginning it leaked oil and ran Hot all the time,Not to long ago one day it just basically stopped running and i limped it home now there she sits for about a Month now? its a super clean truck for these parts of the country(New York) i would really like to restore it to normal state and ditch the Turbo thing?
I guess i would just need another 1994 4x4 motor and tranny and basically switch it out Everything!!
thanx again for your advice
Best Regards
Marco
What part of NY?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals