• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'95-'97 Radiators?

RedBowTies88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
So my '95 is pushing through the 180 T-stat on warm days on the highway. No evidence currnetly of head cracking, leaks, or pump issues.

I'd like to replace the original, grimey 250k Rad with an all aluminum one. I just don't think it's transferring heat well anymore plus being as old as it is I don't trust it's integrity. The winch and bumper blocking some airflow definitely isn't helping, and the winter snow plow really makes this an issue.

For whatever reason all I can find in all aluminum rads are up to '94 and then '98-'11. I get that the '98+ facelift made plenty of changes, but why/how are the '93-'94 rads different? If it's just a case of hose routing I can handle that, but I'd like to know before dropping the money on an Ebay radiator. If it's the mounting can anyone shed some light on the differences? I can rig things as well as the next guy but I'd like to know what I'm in for ahead of time.

Thanks!

rhekman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
So my '95 is pushing through the 180 T-stat on warm days on the highway. No evidence currnetly of head cracking, leaks, or pump issues.

I'd like to replace the original, grimey 250k Rad with an all aluminum one. I just don't think it's transferring heat well anymore plus being as old as it is I don't trust it's integrity. The winch and bumper blocking some airflow definitely isn't helping, and the winter snow plow really makes this an issue.

For whatever reason all I can find in all aluminum rads are up to '94 and then '98-'11. I get that the '98+ facelift made plenty of changes, but why/how are the '93-'94 rads different? If it's just a case of hose routing I can handle that, but I'd like to know before dropping the money on an Ebay radiator. If it's the mounting can anyone shed some light on the differences? I can rig things as well as the next guy but I'd like to know what I'm in for ahead of time.

Thanks!
I replaced my '95 4.0L (5spd, A/c) radiator last summer with this listing below on eBay. I just plugged the trans cooler ports, and the fitment was just fine. My original Motorcraft cap was still sealing OK, so I kept that instead of using the China special cap (literally covered in mandarin characters).

Aluminum Radiator For 1995-1997 1996 Ford Ranger 3.0L 4.0L 3Rows AT

This is not a review or an endorsement. I have put 5,000 miles on the truck since install, and it's worked in 80+ and -30 degree fahrenheit weather so far. Beyond that I cannot speak to the longevity of the unit.

RedBowTies88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I replaced my '95 4.0L (5spd, A/c) radiator last summer with this listing below on eBay. I just plugged the trans cooler ports, and the fitment was just fine. My original Motorcraft cap was still sealing OK, so I kept that instead of using the China special cap (literally covered in mandarin characters).

Aluminum Radiator For 1995-1997 1996 Ford Ranger 3.0L 4.0L 3Rows AT

This is not a review or an endorsement. I have put 5,000 miles on the truck since install, and it's worked in 80+ and -30 degree fahrenheit weather so far. Beyond that I cannot speak to the longevity of the unit.

Thank you kindly for the link and info. I was unable to find to find that in my searching.

I never expect much from chinaware either but frankly the new production plastic/alum options are just as questionable and from the same nation origins. At least with the all aluminum unit I have the ability to solder it if it cracks, and in theory it should transfer heat a bit better.

I'll probably throw on a new gates cap for good measure while I'm at it.

I am still very curious about the differences though between the pre and post '95 rads.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Thank you kindly for the link and info. I was unable to find to find that in my searching.

I never expect much from chinaware either but frankly the new production plastic/alum options are just as questionable and from the same nation origins. At least with the all aluminum unit I have the ability to solder it if it cracks, and in theory it should transfer heat a bit better.

I'll probably throw on a new gates cap for good measure while I'm at it.

I am still very curious about the differences though between the pre and post '95 rads.
The difference is how the radiator is mounted to the core support. 94 and older has two little dowels on the bottom that go through rubber grommets on the core support, 95+ has two legs that stick out from the sides of the radiator. I think you could actually use a 2.9 radiator from as far back as 1986 in a '94 4.0 truck, 93/94 were spit shined with new body panels but they are very similar to everything made before that in many ways. '95 was a totally different animal.

FWIW I'm not sold on all aluminum radiators! My Duff V8 swap radiator has a slow leak, my buddy's mega expensive Ron Davis radiator has cracked at least once if not twice. Say what you will about plastic but I see no difference in durability.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals