• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Help needed, is my transmission dead

Chicago77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Ok so this is odd. Today while driving on the highway I had a moment where the truck acted like it shifted down a gear and reeved, then back to normal, then revved without power like it was in neutral for about a minute. Any time I pressed the gas pedal it would rev freely with no power. Then the engine cut. This is my first automatic ever (8th car) so I quickly tried to start it while coasting. Nothing. Coasted into a parking lot. All this happened in a minute or so.

My gas gage has been inaccurate so I thought that the reving was the engine coughing. And the car ran out of gas.

Well now the car isn’t starting. The starter motor spins but I don’t think the engine is cranking. I added gas and check the valve at the top of the engine and I’m getting gas there. I tried starter fluid and nothing.

I know good bit about cars and can repair most things, but this is my first automatic ever which is different for me.

is there something in the transmission that could have died causing all of these issues and then causing it not to start? I am inclined to replace the starter but the free reving has me worried. If the transmission is fried, I would like to scrap the truck without investing more cash in it. ($1500) truck to start with Up until this point the truck hasrun flawlessly. The transmission was supposedly rebuild 30k miles ago. I had no leaks and good fluid.

this is what it’s doing:

I have check the fuel shutoff inertia valve.

1998 Ranger 4.0 4wd

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
The fan belt isn't even moving while you crank the engine. It also sounds like it just free wheels.

I would say you broke the flex plate.

55trucker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
-
Total Drop
mild
One thing at a time, pull the starter, have a close look at the *bendix* drive.
It is on a worm gear, operating properly it should only rotate in 1 direction, it acts like a 1 way clutch, if it will spin in both directions the drive has failed.
When the starter engages the drive is forced outwards into the flex plate & the drive has to spin the flex plate, if the bendix failed this will not happen.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I based my answer on the fact that the first thing he noticed was the engine free rev'd and seemed to have lost transmission function. To me it would explain all of the symptoms... single point of failure. It also sounds like the starter is turning something over... but it's just not the engine.

I guess if you pull the starter... you will know for sure.

55trucker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
-
Total Drop
mild
I based my answer on the fact that the first thing he noticed was the engine free rev'd and seemed to have lost transmission function.

I guess if you pull the starter... you will know for sure.
I noted that as well, if the trans fluid is very low that same situation will occur as well, no drive.

Chicago77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks guys. I was puzzled because I would have thought the transmission would have shown some symptoms before totally going. The fact that the car rev’d then stalled while driving leads me to believe it’s the transmission.

it does sound like the starter is turning something. Is the flex plate breaking a common thing? And is it worth fixing or should I just part out the truck?

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Broken flex plates are fairly common. Usually the middle breaks off. I would concur that this is probably your issue but you should pull the starter, look at the bendix and/or have it tested just to rule that out first.

Just because you only spent $1500 on it doesn't mean that it's worth nothing now! I would definitely think about fixing it, if it's in fact a broken flex plate the part is less than $100 (but probably $6-700 in labor) unless the truck is really beat up or has other issues. A truck like that out here that runs/drives good and is in average condition would be worth at least a few thousand dollars... would be a shame to junk it!

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Thanks guys. I was puzzled because I would have thought the transmission would have shown some symptoms before totally going. The fact that the car rev’d then stalled while driving leads me to believe it’s the transmission.

it does sound like the starter is turning something. Is the flex plate breaking a common thing? And is it worth fixing or should I just part out the truck?
Well the flex plate is what connects the engine to the transmission... via the torque convertor. So when/if the flex plate breaks the engine would Rev because it's not driving the transmissions torque convertor. When not driving the torque convertor... the transmission stops working.

The symptoms and the sound it makes sure leads me to believe your flex plate broke.

Bronco ii Man

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco ii
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
2.8 v6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
31x10.50-15
Sounds like a flex plate or starter to me. Had to bet on anything, my money would be the flex plate! Did you happen to hear any knocking or anything before it shut off while you was driving? Meaning when it started acting up.

Bronco ii Man

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco ii
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
2.8 v6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
31x10.50-15
Honestly sounds like the ring gear is moving and not the flex plate it self! Had one on a mid 80’s mustang with a v-6 come apart while driving! Thought for sure it spin a rod bearing! Sounded like someone had a sledgehammer inside the block beating in there! When we started separating the engine from the transmission, pieces of the flex plate fell out! Was relieved it wasn’t the engine, but replaced it with a 5.0 anyway. Hopefully you get it figured out! Good luck with it!

Chicago77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you everyone. Doing some research the flex plate sounds like all the symptoms I had. This is what I needed to point me in the right direction, I’m more fluent in manuals.

To answer some questions, not it never had any issues till it failed. I’m one of the paranoid folks that’s always listening for little sounds. I think there was a small clunk right when it failed but definitely no grinding.

For $100 flex plate I will fix it. If I had to put a new transmission in, I probably would opt to donate or sell for parts. I mainly purchased the truck to run errands while I fix my house (almost complete).

Everything else on the little guy works though. Even the AC.

4x4prepper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
> The transmission was supposedly rebuild 30k miles ago
> Then the engine cut.

I wonder what would happen if the bolts fell out because they were not properly installed, last one let go (or maybe sheared off) and a head of one jammed up the transmission/ring gear, causing the engine to stall. Maybe when you remove the starter you can stick a flexible magnet in there and see if you can pull out any scrap metal.

Bronco ii Man

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco ii
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
2.8 v6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
31x10.50-15
Gonna make one hell of a racket! Lol

Bronco ii Man

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco ii
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
2.8 v6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
31x10.50-15
I’m sure there would be plenty of shaving’s and a few chucks in there!

Chicago77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
> The transmission was supposedly rebuild 30k miles ago
> Then the engine cut.

I wonder what would happen if the bolts fell out because they were not properly installed, last one let go (or maybe sheared off) and a head of one jammed up the transmission/ring gear, causing the engine to stall. Maybe when you remove the starter you can stick a flexible magnet in there and see if you can pull out any scrap metal.
Many months later....

It is definitly the flex plate. I finally got time to pull the starter and look in. The torque converter and tranmission side from what I can see look cleaner than the enginer and flex plate. I guess they probably didnt change the felx plate when the transmission was rebuilt. IDK. No bolts floadting around that I could see.

Next step is replacing it and hoping it stays good. If anyone has replaced one before I'd love advice. I am hoping to just pull the tranny back vs dropping it.

flexplate.jpg

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals