• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

08 FX4 SAS

Mr. Bossley

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
Around 6-7"
Tire Size
38x15.5
So the truck has been parked for the past couple of weeks. My front axle u joints and driver side hub were toast after my last trip out. So I got those replaced sometime last week. And I ordered some RCV outer axle tube seals which just arrived yesterday. It wasn't fun scraping the mud out from inside the axle so we'll have no more of that. I'll be putting those in this weekend.

Also this weekend I'll be building some simple removable mud flaps. Something I can throw on for the highway then quickly remove while I'm airing down at the trail. I had to do a decent amount of fender trimming a little bit ago so I had to remove the long john flaps I had on there before. Now I just have my tires sticking out like 4 inches so I gotta get those covered up a bit. I do have some universal Pacer flexy flares to put on as well eventually.

All of this is in preparation for next weekend. We will be heading back out to the Kootenays to stay with a buddy for a few days and do some decent snow wheeling. Its about a 4 hour trip each way so the truck needed some attention.

Oh and I found a good deal on some used 38" Nittos. Same tires I have now almost brand new. So I had to pick those up. I had no choice lol. I shouldn't have to buy tires for 3 or 4 years now.

Attachments

Mr. Bossley

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
Around 6-7"
Tire Size
38x15.5

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
That's an interesting route on mud flaps with the cables... almost exactly what I did bracket wise (you added a set screw which I'm not sure is necessary but other than that...) but mine only go down just past half way down the tire... The only time I got pulled over for mud flaps I had forgot to put them back on... the cop gave me a REALLY GOOFY look when I asked if he wanted me to put them back on since I had them with me... he even told me no...

Mr. Bossley

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
Around 6-7"
Tire Size
38x15.5
That's an interesting route on mud flaps with the cables... almost exactly what I did bracket wise (you added a set screw which I'm not sure is necessary but other than that...) but mine only go down just past half way down the tire... The only time I got pulled over for mud flaps I had forgot to put them back on... the cop gave me a REALLY GOOFY look when I asked if he wanted me to put them back on since I had them with me... he even told me no...
Ya the 1" tube I used didn't fit that tight so I added the set screw to hopefully prevent them from rattling too much. And I was considering cutting them shorter and getting rid of the cables but I'm gonna leave them for now. We'll see how it goes. They look tacky but if they prevent me from getting pulled over it's worth it.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
You Canadians sure do take "Ranger" to an entire different level. @ericbphoto maybe a calendar shot for future use?

Nice stack of spare tires you snagged too. I cringe a bit and don't even bother to see what ones of those cost new.

Enjoy your trip... stay safe and share the adventure when you get back.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
You Canadians sure do take "Ranger" to an entire different level. @ericbphoto maybe a calendar shot for future use?

View attachment 71263

Nice stack of spare tires you snagged too. I cringe a bit and don't even bother to see what ones of those cost new.

Enjoy your trip... stay safe and share the adventure when you get back.
I always enjoy Bossley's snow pix.

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
What's the specs on the red Ranger?

Mr. Bossley

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
Around 6-7"
Tire Size
38x15.5
What's the specs on the red Ranger?
Thats my buddies truck he calls Rodney. Front is a fully built Dana 30 with a true trac. Rear is a stock 28 spline 8.8 with a mini spool. 5.13 gears. 37" Toyo MTs. And a stock 4.0 with a 75 shot of Nitrous.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Gets no respect...

Mr. Bossley

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
Around 6-7"
Tire Size
38x15.5
Gets no respect...
That's ok I don't think he's looking for any lol

But in all seriousness, that truck goes everywhere mine goes for 1/3 the cost. So he's doing something right.

Brodydbar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
The sliders are finally done! I've been talking about doing these for almost two years lol. But I'm happy with the way they turned out. Bolt on was so much more work but worth it I think. Now I just gotta get out and beat them up.

As for the leaf springs, I've driven the truck around town a few times and they ride well. Pretty sure I'm going to do an Add-a-leaf to bring the rear end up a little bit though.
How did you manage to drill the holes for the sliders? I have already welded mounts with bolt plates to my sliders but have only been able to get like one or 2 holes drilled with a step bit being that it is so awkward to fit a drill and my hands up in between the cab and the frame. Let alone getting them in the exact spot lol

Mr. Bossley

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
Around 6-7"
Tire Size
38x15.5
How did you manage to drill the holes for the sliders? I have already welded mounts with bolt plates to my sliders but have only been able to get like one or 2 holes drilled with a step bit being that it is so awkward to fit a drill and my hands up in between the cab and the frame. Let alone getting them in the exact spot lol
I managed to drill all my holes with a regular 18v milwaukee drill and some good hss bits. There was just enough room in there. My arms were sore after but I got it done.

I always start with a 1/8" pilot and go up a few sizes at a time from there. Makes it easier to stay on your mark and you don't have to work as hard. If you can't get the regular drill in there for whatever reason you can get a right angle drill instead. Or once you have your pilot holes drilled you can go from the inside of the frame. And don't over heat the bits or you'll just kill them and each hole will get harder as you go lol

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Another helpful hint.

Put a small piece of pipe or tubing over your drill bit so that when it breaks through, it doesn't go too far and drill into something important like fuel tank, exhaust pipe, etc. This is a short piece of electrical conduit. PVC would work fine, too.

20220227_172241.jpg

Last edited:

Mr. Bossley

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
Around 6-7"
Tire Size
38x15.5
Well nothing much is new but I realized I haven't been on here in a while. It's a bit late but the Kootenays trip back in January went pretty well. Got to check out an old mine site. The snow was shit but still fun of course. Lots of shoveling and even some winching.

Only thing I've done to the truck since is put in a new battery. The old Optima yellow top finally quit on me after 10 years. So I got another one. (y)

I dont have many plans for trips in the near future. Just some camping this summer which will most likely be in the wifes Jeep. And I still walk past the half finished explorer axle everyday lol. I get around to it one of these days...

Attachments

Mr. Bossley

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
Around 6-7"
Tire Size
38x15.5
The Explorer axle swap is finally under way. So far so good.

Also here's what my mini spool looks like after 3 years of abuse. I'm honestly impressed. Not bad for $150.

Attachments

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals