• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ford Ranger Pursuit

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
10 speeds = more moving parts? Or are they using the valve body to get the additional speeds, or shift solenoid type stuff or both to get those magical additional speeds? To me its just something built with more places to fail, or is there? From what I understand the transmission really isn't much bigger physically then its 6 speed predecessor, or 5 speed whichever it was they ended Ranger production with, I think 5 speed maybe?

What about the Super Duty pickups? How's the 10 speeds doing in those? Guess honestly too soon to really know for sure what they're longevity is? I had a 2008 Toyota Tundra with the 6 speed, that thing would hunt all day long for the right gear it seemed like, wouldn't the 10 speeds do that but much worse due to the close ratio gearing? I'm several years away from buying so I guess time will tell how many the transmission shops start seeing in the next few years...but I'd think they'd still have to be better than some of those 4 speeds we had prior LOL. If I recall they have a 10 speed in the F150's as well now, so most likely that would be the biggest truck I'd really need given the towing capacity of 1/2 ton trucks now, I think at most I'd only be towing 7,000lbs, more closer to the 5,500-6,000lbs more frequently, but 7k-7.5k occasionally. I haven't done very much towing with my 2008 Explorer with its 6 speed, but the limited times I have towed with it, it doesn't seem like it hunts for gears like the 6 speed in my Toyota Tundra did...and that thing was quite annoying if you didn't manually select a lower gear and just leave it there. Can that be done with the 10 speed transmission as well, I thought I saw a Manual mode on them, even the Ranger I know does, but not sure I'd want to be towing 5-7k with it frequently...especially when there's the F150 out there that I can get with a larger engine to better handle the load.

The new Maverick though might eventually replace my Bronco 2 and Ranger...I just think I'd miss the bed length of my little Ranger...but maybe not since I could easily pull my little flat bed trailer behind it if I needed to haul something longer....I have my 88 Bronco 2, 87 Ranger, and 2008 Explorer....I'd kind of like to have less vehicles at some point HAHA!!! Maybe just an F150 and the Maverick to be a daily driver.

The 6r80 is a fargin gorilla.

These transmissions are mostly clutch to clutch. They are ridiculous in strength. Really less complicated in the parts department unlike the engines in front of them.

As strong as they are, these new engines are equally ridiculous in power.

The transmissions are much better then any c6 or aod and even the venerable 400.

They can shift instantly and brutally.....or....imperceptabally.

Some testing being done with custom tuning with the 6r and a windsor led to several teardowns and inspections with Curts truck.

Brutal simplicity for a trans ... Curt busted his ass on this and was tempted to throw in the towel ... But the knowledge gained here is a game changer. Guys with older rigs have some beast options these days..

9908.jpeg
9909.jpeg
8694.jpeg
9644.jpeg
9647.jpeg

Rocky fully approves of the 6r80 Windsor tire murderer combination ....

He says traction beams 4 lyfe breeches...

KIMG1098.JPG
KIMG1086.JPG
KIMG1088.JPG
KIMG1085.JPG
10204.jpeg

Last edited:

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
They use multiple gears at the same time to get some of the gears (like 2nd gear in the 5r55e). It isn’t new technology.

I have 10 speeds in both my ‘20 f150 and my ‘21 f550... so far no issues with either one and no issues with hunting for gears. (The programming is pretty good at staying in a specific gear until it needs to shift.). The only issue I have is when I’m cruising along and floor it... The ECM has to decide what gear it wants, shift to that gear, then it will allow the engine to accelerate. It takes a good half second to go through all that. I would much rather have instant acceleration.
Interesting info on the time delay for shifts...I think that's kind of normal on a lot of these newer transmissions, the 6R60 in my Explorer seems to do that too its a bit delayed downshifting at times it'll take a second to downshift when you stab the throttle....not so sure its just the transmission or if some of it has to do with the traction control and stability control thinking if its ok too possibly? Not sure if any of the traction control/stability control stuff talk to the transmission to keep a transmission from shifting down to prevent wheel spin or lockup of the wheels that would cause a potential traction issue? Is that even a thing I have no idea but wouldn't surprise me with the techie stuff they got in vehicles.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
The 6r80 is a fargin gorilla.

These transmissions are mostly clutch to clutch. They are ridiculous in strength. Really less complicated in the parts department unlike the engines in front of them.

As strong as they are, these new engines are equally ridiculous in power.

The transmissions are much better then any c6 or aod and even the venerable 400.

They can shift instantly and brutally.....or....imperceptabally.

Some testing being done with custom tuning with the 6r and a windsor led to several teardowns and inspections with Curts truck.

Brutal simplicity for a trans ... Curt busted his ass on this and was tempted to throw in the towel ... But the knowledge gained here is a game changer. Guys with older rigs have some beast options these days..

View attachment 70899View attachment 70900View attachment 70901View attachment 70902View attachment 70903

Rocky fully approves of the 6r80 Windsor tire murderer combination ....

He says traction beams 4 lyfe breeches...

View attachment 70904View attachment 70896View attachment 70897View attachment 70898View attachment 70965
So do the clutches tend to hold up better than the older style transmissions that used bands? I'd think so as most people never adjusted the bands so they just plain wear out from slipping and get burned up, where I'd think the clutches would be better as the valve body, solenoids, etc. would clamp down on those clutches much quicker and more firmly than the bands?

So the transmission might actually outlive the engines rather than the other way around with some of the A4LD issues and others LOL.

Not so sure the 6R60 in my Explorer is too much better than previous transmissions, I've heard they are and they aren't I guess like most things a lot of that depends on how well it was taken care of, service intervals, towing, etc.

I know the 6 speed auto in my Tundra spent way too much time hunting for gears if you didn't manually lock it out of 5th and 6th when towing. That's kind of why I wonder why so many gears now...10 speeds...if my 6 speed hunted for gears with 5-6k towing why would you want more gears in a truck capable of towing 12k+ LOL....but seems like the 10 speeds actually might use 2nd gear, 4th gear, etc...my aunt says they can skip gears shifting up and down depending on conditions....so I guess that would explain why the 10 speeds don't hunt as much as the 6 speeds did. I think the 8 speeds were marginally better maybe, but it sounds like the 10 speeds are programmed to help avoid a lot of that...but I'd hope they still have an auxiliary transmission cooler especially for the weights that trucks are rated for now.

So do the F-Series trucks all share the same 10 speed, or are they built different in the HD trucks?

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
So do the clutches tend to hold up better than the older style transmissions that used bands? I'd think so as most people never adjusted the bands so they just plain wear out from slipping and get burned up, where I'd think the clutches would be better as the valve body, solenoids, etc. would clamp down on those clutches much quicker and more firmly than the bands?

So the transmission might actually outlive the engines rather than the other way around with some of the A4LD issues and others LOL.

Not so sure the 6R60 in my Explorer is too much better than previous transmissions, I've heard they are and they aren't I guess like most things a lot of that depends on how well it was taken care of, service intervals, towing, etc.

I know the 6 speed auto in my Tundra spent way too much time hunting for gears if you didn't manually lock it out of 5th and 6th when towing. That's kind of why I wonder why so many gears now...10 speeds...if my 6 speed hunted for gears with 5-6k towing why would you want more gears in a truck capable of towing 12k+ LOL....but seems like the 10 speeds actually might use 2nd gear, 4th gear, etc...my aunt says they can skip gears shifting up and down depending on conditions....so I guess that would explain why the 10 speeds don't hunt as much as the 6 speeds did. I think the 8 speeds were marginally better maybe, but it sounds like the 10 speeds are programmed to help avoid a lot of that...but I'd hope they still have an auxiliary transmission cooler especially for the weights that trucks are rated for now.

So do the F-Series trucks all share the same 10 speed, or are they built different in the HD trucks?
Anything under 1/3 throttle from a dead stop and my 10 speed skips 2nd and 4th. I’ve never really watched it downshifting to see what it does.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Farm equipment has used wet clutch disks in hydraulically shifted transmissions since the 60's.

I don't know of any that ever tried bands. Maybe the Ford selectospeed having auto experiance... and they had a seller reputation.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo

The last 8 years these 6 speeds were dirt cheap...because they don't break.

Unfortunately...you have the a4ld version of it. Which is like a 4r70....and those are bad ass.

With all of the different bell designs and the advent of the 10 speed the market is shifting........pun intended.......rapidly.

That sucks. Because these things are awesome. 20 year run would have been epic for hot rodding and off roading. But we won't be that lucky.

I have a thread here with the Godzilla and the Powerboost.....I have both...with 10 speeds.

Drive by wire is the reason your trans acts stupid. Your perceptions are tune design. Not a bad trans

The a4ld .... 5r55e....are hunks of shit.....bad ideas and beating a dead horse 25 years longer then necessary.

The 550 pounds of torque rating is post torque multiplication....not pre converter.

It's pathetic.

Pressure regulation and all of the valve and accumulator spring and fluid damping wizardry in older hrdro mechanical transmissions...are the things that give slush boxes thier well deserved write offs.

People throw away manuals and swap in 6r80 transmissions more then auto to stick swaps with mustangs that are equipped with 6r80... ...and that is no simple affair in a modern mustang...with all of the traction control systems ect ...engine tune strategy not to mention custom trans tuning with it ...but worth it .

Tuning the latest ford trans offerings with custom programming or an aftermarket controller makes for some serious performance.

Not beating these with a manual.

If there is a pedal monster for your explorer application....I am sure you can break your trans .... Then beef it and dial it in to a level . .just by your statements....you won't believe...

Just look at the pictures of what it's made of ... That separator plate is wonderful.

Extremely simple

WyoRanger

U.S. Military - Veteran
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Umm those are pictures of a Maverick...someone really got confused in the Photoshop gallery it looks like...unless the new Ranger is going to a unibody with the bed attached to the cab like the Maverick.
That's the new Ranger:

"

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
Yeah, ford ditched the car-like front end for a more Truck-like nose. thankfully.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Jammed more electronic/bigger displays and controls in it too.

While I’m not all old school like rusty, I’m not a fan of even more electronics to glitch and fail.

I do like the new front end and the idea of a wider frame. I can’t tell if they shortened the bed sides or not. That would be nice if they did.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
What's stopping you?
torsion bars. blah

i actually have to get under and lift the front a little more. the front wheels are camber'd in a bit at the top and the truck still has a fair amount of rake on it. it doesn't bottom out on bumps but i would like it closer to level and the tires more upright.

still a good little truck though. i think it was worth the 3k i gave for her and i am impressed on the 18.5mpg i am getting when i travel all over texas doing 80-85.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
The problem.

Your applying 70s expectations to this situation.

Your proceeding with your mind and basing opinion on that and will force the square peg into the triangle hole.

Happens with the Ecoboost constantly.

They are low rpm engines. They offer power when needed for occasional work duty for the average bear...and economy when not needed. To a level never seen before. And they are long lived and more robust then ever thought possible because of those facts.

Nothing......from before these modern marvels compares.

Now...my experience with 10 speeds....they are shifty...just like 6 speeds...and 4 speeds....and 3 speeds.

But that's not the problem.

The problem is the engine is too powerful for a transmission that can fit in a normal pickup truck.

So....the reason we have such wonderful capacity....is they took the go pedal away.

The throttle pedal sucks. They have a cure for it...and I can get away with it...but I guarantee if I forget to put it back to stock....one of my hands that's towing our doghouse while I am driving the rig will destroy my transmission.

I suggest test driving a few with an open mind. And if you can ...work it back to back with an older truck.

When it comes to truck work.... These new ones are unbelievable in comparison.

If you have even a shred of intellectual honesty. You will be happily impressed.

Now...on edit.... All that said.

They are very complex.... Too complex

At least until they are not because one improves their knowledge.

Though....we will likely reminiss the old days of ice use sooner then later....
Hmmm, you have given me much to think about...Perhaps a test drive is in order.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals