• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Questions from a potential new Ford Ranger buyer (1986!)

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
In addition to what’s already been mentioned, I would sight down the body lines and feel the edges of panels for tape lines, check for turned bolts on the fenders and stuff. It can indicate if there’s been bodywork. A wavy panel or body line indicates body work. And check the radiator support for rust.

Rimjam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Health is wealth
Price is way high for my area of the country but prices vary by locale. That's a really nice looking basic, original truck. Can't believe the door panels aren't warped & the dash pad isn't cracked! As others have suggested, look very carefully for evidence of past body damage & repairs. If you're not knowledgeable in that area take it to someone who is. Crawl around underneath with a flashlight & look for major rust.

Jazzer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Run a magnet over the lower cab corners and rocker covers to spot bondo repair unless you're sure it's the original paint.

-Jazzer

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Check the area below the windshield for rot. There is a big cabity under the grills. Leaves plug the drains so water sits there... until new drains form via rust.

Blue 92

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Supercab
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Check the headliner in the upper corners of the windshield and around the rear window for signs of leaking. Mine had evidence of leaking that I was not smart enough to spot but I'm sure the guy I bought it from knew it leaked. Would have offered less than I did.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
I’m curious for some thoughts and advice on buying my first Ford Ranger. I’m really wanting to buy a classic Ranger, something from the mid-90s and older. I found one on Facebook Marketplace that feels promising: 1986; 2WD; 2.0L (need to confirm that); 121K miles; body, bed and frame claim to be in very good condition though the paint is a bit thin; wheels are at about 80%; timing belt done a few miles back; ready to sticker and drive (all of this according to the owner/poster). This one’s $5,500. And for reference, I live in New England and the truck has been driven in New England for its entire life. I added some pics from the original FB post as well.

From what I know, the 1986 Ranger is highly regarded and really reliable. Is that true? What should I know about a used 1986 Ranger? What should I look for? What questions do you suggest I ask? Whatever insight you all have would be appreciated!
@ajtoole have you gone to look at this truck yet? Keep us updated plz.

ajtoole

Reaction score
@ajtoole have you gone to look at this truck yet? Keep us updated plz.
Sorry about that! I wasn't getting email notifications for posts, so I missed a lot of these. MANY thanks to those who contributed, I really appreciate it.

Decided against buying it, financially it didn't make sense as a truck to replace my daily driver, and I couldn't afford it as a second toy. So, I moved on. Another Ranger down the line perhaps!

svtcards

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3'' front 4''back
Tire Size
245 35 18
Sorry about that! I wasn't getting email notifications for posts, so I missed a lot of these. MANY thanks to those who contributed, I really appreciate it.

Decided against buying it, financially it didn't make sense as a truck to replace my daily driver, and I couldn't afford it as a second toy. So, I moved on. Another Ranger down the line perhaps!
Where in new England is it located?

svtcards

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3'' front 4''back
Tire Size
245 35 18
And it's on Facebook marketplace?sounds like it's in my neighborhood.5500 is pretty steep though.to bad it's that pricey I'd go look at it.

ajtoole

Reaction score
And it's on Facebook marketplace?sounds like it's in my neighborhood.5500 is pretty steep though.to bad it's that pricey I'd go look at it.
Yeah I appreciate that, I passed it up because it was a little pricey to just get as a second vehicle

Saxwing1988

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3” with torsion crank
Tire Size
33x12.5
I would buy a newer one for that price but if you really really like the older ones I think it looks really clean

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals