• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Restoring coolant reservoir?

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
1.5” till I get these springs replaced
Tire Size
225-70-R14
My reservoir is so stained that I can’t see the coolant level. I have to pop the cap off and shine a light to see where it is. I figure I could drill a couple holes and add a sight tube (possible leak problem) or try to clean it. This is the only successful cleaning process I found, but no directions are given. He only gives ingredients used. Anyone have any ideas as to what to do? This appears to clean it, but does it destroy the plastic?

1. Sulphamic acid mix
2. Sonax ultra cleaner
2. Dishwasher salt

09fx4guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre Key w/ #1 Bars
Tire Size
265/70R16
The easiest thing to do may be to just pick up a replacement one. I think the ones for your truck are readily available. You can also check some junkyards, they are usually cheap and sometimes you can get lucky and find ones in good shape.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Replace the reservoir and flush the crap out of the cooling system because if the reservoir got that dirty the inside of the rest of the cooling system is undoubtedly far worse.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I use a Bottle brush and vinegar solution to clean these

But yes, you can often find similar combo overflow/washer tanks in wrecking yards in better shape, they are not specific to Rangers, these were used on many Ford models of similar years

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
I'd just buy a new universal one off ebay/Amazon. Under 20$ shipped for a plastic one and right around 30 for an aluminum one.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
It's not a degas system so the overflow is just a unpressurized tank. Like Ron and Blmpkin said you can use pretty much any tank that you can make fit. And remember to always believe in yourself.

Last edited:

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Agree 100%, that if the overflow tank is nasty, the cooling system itself needs a close check, and likely flushing or other attention.

My overflow tank was so nasty I didn't know if it was salvageable, but now it's like new. The trick is getting a brush in there. Like RonD I used a small, long twisted-wire bottle brush, which can be bent to reach all parts of the tank's insides, working through the fill hole.

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
Tire Size
225-70-R14
I’ve basically ordered a new cooling system… radiator, hcore, tstat & housing, pump, hoses. Gave the radiator a flush already and put in a bottle of cleaner stuff. Going to do a simple flush a couple more times before all the parts get here, then I’ll do an actual engine flush once I have the tstat out. Guess I’ll find a better tank at the junk yard. I’m still curious about that bleaching acid. Might get a couple and see if I can make one look new.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, small can of "elbow grease" and a bottle brush will do wonders for overflow tanks :)
The bendable metal ones are the best

tinman_72

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Factory
Total Drop
None
Tire Size
255/60R15
My credo
RoHS compliant
Remove the reservoir, put a wet soapy rag in it, put the cap on, plug any holes and shake the heck out of it.

Jazzer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Or shake with a lot of salt and 91% iso alcohol. For the abrasiveness of the salt.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
And after it's clean, don't ignore it anymore. My 98 is 23 years old, I've owned it 21 years. Overflow tank is still pristine. I've drained and changed the coolant only twice in that time. Second time was last year. Bottle is a bit "foggy", but can still easily see the level of the fluid within it.

My 04 Lightning has polished aluminum tanks for the radiator and intercooler. I made up home made dipsticks for that application.

Cheburashka

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
4.0 XLT
Transmission
Manual
Yeah mine's pretty disgusting too. I did a full system flush last year and tried to clean it to the best of my abilities but it's just too far gone at this point. I'll probably replace it. New ones are pretty cheap and they come with a bonus of a new windshield washer tank as well.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
IF you are going to neglect It use better coolant. Motorcraft gold can go for near 10 years without getting nasty. Your typical ole fashion cheap green coolant is really only made for about 2 years before it breaks down and allows rust and gunk to form. They both work just as good as far as cooling goes, but gold simply lasts alot longer. I've changed the coolant on my truck once in 12 years and the system is immaculate using Motorcraft gold.

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
Tire Size
225-70-R14
Obligatory disclaimer: you can’t mix this stuff.
So my takeaway from the plethora of types out there, the 3 main American ones (used by many foreign males too) are:

Green (Inorganic Acid): Best for corrosion resistance for 2 years. After that it breaks down and becomes conductive making it corrosive

Orange (Organic Acid): Just fine, lasts longer, isn’t conductive, has sludg problems… i.e. DexKill

Yellow (Hybrid Organic): Nearly as good for corrosion as green, isn’t conductive like orange, and no sludge problems.

There’s others but I haven’t found dumbed down explanations of them. As far as I know, but can’t quite confirm, yellow is the best there is, has no down sides (maybe more $ than green), and every vehicle should be transitioned to it, especially if you have OAT DexKill. Green is fine, but I’m not going to remember to change it every two years.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals