• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Vacuum leak?

sauldlt

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hey all!
I've got a 99 Ranger 4.0L with a high idle. With the A/C on It takes 5-6 seconds to come down to normal idle when coming to a stop, sometimes the "check gage" light will come on and then go away. I have already replaced IAC valve, also looked at most if not all hoses for tears. Im not sure where else there could be a leak. Or is something pulling in air? Any help would be appreciated!

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I thought certain year 4.0 engines had a problem with leaking intake gaskets?

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I did some searching, there was a TSB 98-6-8. Don't know if this expanded out to others. Here is a copy of it.

Article No. 98-6-8

LIGHT TRUCK: 1997 RANGER, AEROSTAR

4.0L ENGINES ONLY

This TSB article is being republished in its entirety to correct the part number listed, revise the Service Procedure, and add Aerostar.

ISSUE:
A rough idle, stalling at an idle and/or Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) P0171, P0174, P1131, and/or P1151 may be stored in memory on some vehicles with a 4.0L engine. This may be caused by the gasket located between the fuel rail and lower intake manifold losing its compressive loading and becoming drawn into the intake manifold runners resulting in a vacuum leak.

ACTION:
Replace the fuel rail-to-intake manifold paper gasket with a revised gasket.

SERVICE PROCEDURE
1. Remove the upper intake manifold and inspect the O-ring style gaskets on the mounting surface of the upper intake manifold. If the gasket bead is above the intake surface and is not torn, do not disturb the gasket. If any of the O-ring gaskets are torn or do not protrude beyond the mounting surface of the upper intake manifold, the gasket should be replaced.
2. Remove six (6) studs and lift off fuel rail manifold and paper gasket.
3. Inspect all holes in the lower intake manifold to make sure there is no debris.
4. Replace the Gasket (F8PZ-9E436-AA) (bright green paper and blue bead) and set the fuel rail manifold on the gasket. No paper gasket is needed on the top side of the fuel rail manifold.
5. Lubricate the lower portion of the stud bolts with a light grade oil such as 5W30 and torque the bolts to 14 ±2 Nm (10 ±1.5 lb-ft)
6. The upper intake manifold should be installed and the nuts torqued to 25 Nm (18.5 lb-ft)
7.Start and warm the engine.
8. Allow the engine to cool and retorque all of the nuts to 25 Nm (18.5 lb-ft).

PART NUMBER / PART NAME
F8PZ-9E436-AA / Fuel Rail-To-Intake Manifold Gasket

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:
NONE

SUPERSEDES:
97-20-10

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under The Provisions Of Bumper To Bumper Warranty Coverage And Emissions Warranty Coverage

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
The 'check gauge' light is a little curious since that is separate from the CEL. But Franklin2's suggestion of the intake vacuum leak is a strong possibility. You can also look for a leak with starter fluid or a smoke machine. Any codes?

sauldlt

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I haven't pulled codes yet since I have no CEL, I am going to smoke it later today and pull codes, so I can let y'all know what comes of it. For TSB I haven't had any stalling issues

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
With the A/C on It takes 5-6 seconds to come down to normal idle when coming to a stop,

Does this happen with the a/c off? or just on? any chance your brake booster is leaking air in the vacuum process?

sauldlt

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
With the A/C on It takes 5-6 seconds to come down to normal idle when coming to a stop,

Does this happen with the a/c off? or just on? any chance your brake booster is leaking air in the vacuum process?
Not as high of an idle, just more noticeable with A/C on. On start up its has an unusually high idle as well. Would that show up on the smoke test?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals