• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

D35 swap driveshaft length

ecgreen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
Drawing closer to completing my D35 restoration, re-gear, lock and swap. I know the driveshaft needs to be shortened an inch. Can I just go ahead and have my driveshaft guy do this, or should I install the D35 and the do some measuring first?

Thanks for all the help guys, I literally couldn't do this without ya'll.

Sean

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I would get it together and measure for sure. Also keep an eye on your clearances, the pinion sits a little higher than it does on a D28 so things like a custom exhaust may now interfere.

Last edited:

ecgreen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
OK, I am at the point where I need to consider the driveshaft (I know, my build is wicked slow). The driveshaft I have has about an inch of play at ride height. So if unbolted, I can push it back out of the front yoke by an inch before it bottoms out. How much do I need? It would be nice if I could get away with it like it is.

Awaiting wisdom download...

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I would be more comfortable with 1.5 - 2 inches. If you should bump into something hard enough with the left-front tire, your radius arm bushing could deflect enough for it to bottom out completely, possibly damaging the t-case.

Is the truck lifted (using drop brackets)? If not (and you do have plans to lift it), you may be able to get away with not having to shorten it once the lift is on.

ecgreen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
I would be more comfortable with 1.5 - 2 inches. If you should bump into something hard enough with the left-front tire, your radius arm bushing could deflect enough for it to bottom out completely, possibly damaging the t-case.

Is the truck lifted (using drop brackets)? If not (and you do have plans to lift it), you may be able to get away with not having to shorten it once the lift is on.
Its lifted with a Duff Stage 1 kit. Sounds like I should get it shortened an inch then. Thanks!

ecgreen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size

Do you think i should cycle the suspension without the coil after i get the shaft shortened just to be sure?

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
It certainly can't hurt.
The driveshaft does compress some with upward suspension travel, though it isn't a whole lot.

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
What transfer case you have? If it's the 1350, then there was a factory shaft from a Ranger with the FM145 or maybe TK5 that was already an inch shorter.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I think that's been tried before (the shaft from a FM145 truck would be two inches shorter than one from a FM146 truck, which might be enough for it to come apart at the yoke). If you were to move the axle forward slightly by rearranging the radius arm bushings (or moving the mounts on the frame) might be another way to get around this issue (the axle can be pushed forward slightly more than an inch before causing a clearance issue elsewhere).

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals