• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Finally first time owner of a '87 Ranger XTS

UnclBen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XTS
Transmission
Manual
hey yall. Im very new to the site and a proud and pleased owner of a beautiful 1987 Ranger XTS 2.9l v6 4x4. Which i will say im used to driving but im not very savvy with the electrical and most importantly the interior of the engine and transmission.

I got this XTS from a gentleman who didn't have time for it. A week after I made the smartest vehicle decision ever, I was plagued with 1st gear and Reverse not engaging( yes manual if you haven't already guessed). Didnt faze me in the slightest. Every bit of work on this truck is my hobby. But now I am starting to get a lot of minor issues that come with an old girl like this. Power steering, brake lines, tir rod ends and minor oil leak on the back of the engine. And the window gear and motor.

So I guess I have come on the ranger station to see if anyone has a minute and is happy to give me some insight into the XTS model. I am happy with anything to note. This is a project truck that I plan to keep as original as I can. Also while modifying it just right for my minimalist/ Survivalist lifestyle.

I would also ask if anyone knows what would be a good engine to swap into it if possible. I know probably dumb but i wanna learn all I can. I dont see any reason not to upgrade what I can without ruining the visual weathered looked it has on it.

I cant wait for some feedback and hope I can learn and help whenever I can. Thank you

Attachments

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
So I guess I have come on the ranger station to see if anyone has a minute and is happy to give me some insight into the XTS model.

I have a little insight... It’s a STX.

Rimjam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Health is wealth
Leave the engine alone other than regular maintenance. While the 2.9 isn't a powerhouse it is a good, reliable engine. Just don't ever let it overheat! Read articles here on TRS about engine swaps & all that's involved, that should convince you to focus your efforts on other areas.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Welcome! Looks like a nice truck to me, and it's certainly got a lot of potential. For feedback, here's how I would approach things.

Not a bad idea to assume that it's never been maintained, so change all fluids, check hoses and belts, and real importantly make sure that the engine cooling system is in top shape. Repair what's needed to get the brakes, steering and suspension up to snuff.

If the 2.9 in it is sound, I'd definitely keep it. If it were mine, I'd want to address the transmission, either rebuilding what's there or plugging in a good replacement unit. At the same time, do the clutch and at minimum a new slave cylinder, and replace the rear main seal on the engine too, since you're there. Replacing the valve cover gaskets isn't hard, and it's very likely that those two items will take care of the "minor oil leak on the back of the engine".

The power windows are not real difficult. I'd first pull the panel and make sure that you're getting power and ground at the motor with the switch pressed, before buying a replacement motor unit.

I like seeing your enthusiasm for your new truck; I hope that you have a good journey ahead with it. There is a ton of good info here, and the best thing to do is to go through the tech articles, and use the "search" function to find informative posts.

A "DIY manual", like a Chiltons, would be helpful, and even better, are the Ford factory manuals, which can be found reasonably on eBay.

Good luck!

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
Unclben,

She's sittin kindof High???

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
It could be an STX HiRider, which came from the factory with a 1.5" lift. I pulled the hirider lift in my race truck from a wrecked 87.

89Twincharge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I seem survivalist... its probably not EMP proof if that's what your looking for... welcome to ranger station

Peter4u

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford bronco II
Transmission
Automatic
I sharé the same enthusiasm and worries. I just bought a 1986 mini bronco II...repaired the motor and learning a Lot to keep ir original as posible. I think this is the Best place to learn from You all guys.

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
Nice find. Welcome to the site.

UnclBen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XTS
Transmission
Manual
I have a little insight... It’s a STX.
Yea. I saw that after I posted and didn't adjusts that was my mistake. I am thoroughly pleased working on it. Thank you tho for replying and correcting me. I will be adjusting that

UnclBen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XTS
Transmission
Manual
Welcome! Looks like a nice truck to me, and it's certainly got a lot of potential. For feedback, here's how I would approach things.

Not a bad idea to assume that it's never been maintained, so change all fluids, check hoses and belts, and real importantly make sure that the engine cooling system is in top shape. Repair what's needed to get the brakes, steering and suspension up to snuff.

If the 2.9 in it is sound, I'd definitely keep it. If it were mine, I'd want to address the transmission, either rebuilding what's there or plugging in a good replacement unit. At the same time, do the clutch and at minimum a new slave cylinder, and replace the rear main seal on the engine too, since you're there. Replacing the valve cover gaskets isn't hard, and it's very likely that those two items will take care of the "minor oil leak on the back of the engine".

The power windows are not real difficult. I'd first pull the panel and make sure that you're getting power and ground at the motor with the switch pressed, before buying a replacement motor unit.

I like seeing your enthusiasm for your new truck; I hope that you have a good journey ahead with it. There is a ton of good info here, and the best thing to do is to go through the tech articles, and use the "search" function to find informative posts.

A "DIY manual", like a Chiltons, would be helpful, and even better, are the Ford factory manuals, which can be found reasonably on eBay.

Good luck!
Thank you very much sir.

A little update: I got into the transmission (with the help of Ranger lover for a supervisor) and swapped it out. Ill be taking time later this summer to get into the old transmission and really learn how the whole assembly works.

I then went through and covered every valve I found sucking in air. That helped a little with the cleansing process. I changed out my EGR valve pressure sensor and a good chunk of the hoses.

Right around then I began work at Autozone. Got tie rod ends, brakes, rotors, calipers, brake line, and currently looking at tires and gauging what i will want on it when im done.

Next came the fuel filter, fuel injector and pump. More or less to have for when they do go. Seals, gaskets, plugs and wires, distributor Cap and Rotor, and Clutch master cylinder.

The window has not ruined my mood on the way things are going but now that the rain season is here and me finding the motor is simply dead, I am caving this Friday and replacing the motor. I cant tell how proud it makes me to be able to get back to something basic and learn new things on these great machines. I have a Chilton repair manual for the decade and along with that I have taken it upon myself.to get a good old fashion notebook and pen and have written down every part number I have bought for my beauty and im writing it down so I can have my own personal Ranger Bible right in the ceiling basket in place of the visor.
I have had nothing but positive feedback and appreciation from folks from all walks of life and not one has walked away without given a small bit of advice. I like that!
I do apologize for my first post. I was not really being attentive and now that I have put hours and days under the hood and looking up at her belly I feel like a nob. But I will be posting some more pics on once I get more time on here. Than k you again for the info and I plan to be reading up on all I can to beef up the suspension and tires.

UnclBen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XTS
Transmission
Manual
I seem survivalist... its probably not EMP proof if that's what your looking for... welcome to ranger station
I do want this truck to be outfitted and beefed up with all of my bug out gear. Along with my Tac. gear and firearms, but I do want to first thoroughly know this truck and stock up on a few of each parts before I begin looking into its "Off The Grid" modifications. I say this only because I want to be prepared for when there is any sort of issue that comes my way with the Ranger. But this is just a great ride. Thank you sir

89Twincharge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have spare electronics for a few vehicles in a faraday cage, trying to get more!! Also consumables like plugs wires oil air filters and the tools needed to change them.. there's lots of dead space on these trucks one could make storage for items to keep cargo area free for other items!!!

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Do you want me or another mod to change the thread title to STX?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals