• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Moab trail closures - comment period closes 4/26

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I received this in my email - some of you have been to Moab, many probably have not, but have heard of it. It's a very special place for motorized recreation but unfortunately it's subject to death by a thousand cuts.

As someone who lives in an area that lost 95% of our trail system in 2010, I can assure you that closures simply result in more resource damage and law enforcement issues by packing a lot of people into smaller areas instead of allowing them to spread out. Closures also prohibit people with disabilities from using an area that they have historically been able to drive into. Comment however you see fit... but please keep in mind that closures have a ripple effect that touches everyone in the community... your favorite hiking trail might be next!

"Southwest Utah Wilderness Alliance is trying to shutdown 330,000 acres of motorized recreation access in the Labyrinth Rims/Gemini Bridge Special Recreation Area outside of Moab. This includes every trail west of Highway 191 and north of town to the interstate. Affected trails include: Gemini Bridges, Rusty Nail, Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Golden Crack, Poison Spider, Monitor & Merimac, Seven Mile Rim, Bull Canyon, White Wash Dunes, 10 Mile Canyon, Bartlett, Tusher, Determination Towers, Mashed Potatoes, Secret Spire, Dubinky, 3D, Dead Cow, The Tubes, and all the atv/single-track surrounding the dunes.

Make your voice heard! Visit https://eplanning.blm.gov/eplanning-ui/project/2001224/510. Click the green box on the left that says "Participate Now" and then click on the green box on the right that says "Participate Now". Follow the submission process and urge the BLM to keep this wonderful area open. Submissions are open until 4/26/21. Please feel free to share this link to anyone who enjoys riding in the beauty that is Moab!"

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
With a name like "Dead Cow" it has to be good... :icon_rofl:

I guess I would go scorched earth on this crap. If they wanna close it for offroad vehicles, hoved animals (horses) and hikers have no business out there either.

We have 0 public trails in Iowa. There are public parks for ATV's and trails for horses but NOTHING for a full size vehicle that is open to the public.

Last edited:

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
I have run some of that area. The trails there are very established and I don't understand why they would close it. As I recall there is a BLM campsite not too far from Gemini Bridges. Would they close that down too?

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
They can close whatever they want, when ever they want, and if there are archaeological sites/special plants or animals/resource damage happening, the process happens with zero oversight and no recourse.

As I mentioned we lost 95% of our trail system in the Black Hills in 2010. That number is not an exaggeration. Much of our trail system was very well established as well and consisted of fire trails, mining roads and railroad beds - didn't matter, it's gone. And once it's gone, you don't easily get it back, because in their eyes it never existed to begin with.

BLM operates differently than the Forest Service that we deal with but my experience leads me to believe that both agencies are both very much against almost all motorized recreation. The only reason we have what we have now is because there were many decades of "open unless closed" and some public pressure to keep things open. Unfortunately the tree hugger organizations are very well funded, very well organized and the proliferation of twits ripping around drunk on UTVs are making it very easy for them to campaign for closures.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
More info from Blue Ribbon Coalition:

"We've seen a lot of posts about the "proposed trail closures" around Moab. The BLM is doing travel management planning for a large area of beloved trails and riding areas North of Moab, but at this point in the process no trail closures have been recommended. We are certain BLM will propose one alternative that will include a lot of closures. We also believe BLM will propose an alternative that will keep as much of the area open as possible. We need to do everything we can to justify a more permissive alternative. We've had some people ask us what information they can include in their comments, so we put together a quick article and video to give you some ideas."

This paragraph specifically hits home, and I would point out that it's not even motorized related... if you enjoy camping, it's on the chopping block too.

"While most people will focus on how travel management affects motorized access to this area, we have found in other areas that those who are trying to restrict access are working harder to restrict dispersed camping than they are working to restrict OHVs. If you enjoy dispersed camping, you need to let the BLM know that they should be looking for ways to increase and manage dispersed camping instead of trying to eliminate it. "

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals