• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

The First Gen Facelift Conspiracy

broncc

Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
My credo
Giving my truck more money than it deserves.
It started with a little disappointment. Then turned into annoyance. Now its full on paranoia. Since before I have purchased my Bronco II there has been a small dent in the front bumper. I am not too upset because the chrome is in good shape and its not contacting the body. Most people won't even notice it if I don't bring it to attention. I can do better. I know I can.

1.PNG

When it became time to purchase a parts explorer I was excited to finally put the bent bumper blooper behind me. Due to a long chat with the previous owner, it was dark when I loaded it up onto the trailer. I did not even realize my mistake until the next day. The explorer had an identical dent! I was inconsolable. Why was I punished to be forever doomed to the "fat lip" look? Even with my spare I'm still hesitant to attempt to massage out the crease. Maybe a block of wood will keep the chrome adhered...

2.PNG

At this point I was feeling dizzy and beginning to forget what the front of my Ford was supposed to look like. I browsed through the files on my computer to find a saved image of another bronco II. To my horror this one was also damaged! Maybe he also tried to repair his bumper only to worsen the damage and require a rattle can correction. Oh I hope this doesn't get out of hand!

3.PNG

I am convinced not a single one of these '89-'94 bumpers survives to this day without the telltale mark. I'm not sure whether to attribute this to gang stalking, evil gnomes, or just pervasive human error. What I do know that I'm stuck with this bumper for a very long time.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Bumpers go bump...

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
A 2x4 and a rubber mallet. Hit the wood, not the bumper. Might even want 2 pieces of wood. One to put on the underside of the "hump" to add resistance, so you don't over do it, and one to put on top of the hump to strike with the rubber mallet.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I owned 4 different 1965 mustangs at one point (kept buying parts cars). Every single one had the same exact damage to the sheet metal between the bumper and trunk lip where the filler neck is. Went to a classic car junkyard and saw several more with either the same damage, or repairs done to that section.

My theory at this point is that it must have been common for cars to pull up too close to mustangs while they were refueling with the pump nozzle in and ended up smacking the nozzle into the back of the car. :dunno:

As for your bumper damage, that is clearly the work of bigfoots...

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I think your original could be straightened pretty easily!

I noticed a similar trend with mid 60's GM pickups...they often had wraparound rear bumpers and the sides would get tweaked, which in turn would crush in the box sides.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Hey that's my black Bronco II. I hit that bumper on a rock during that wheeling trip.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
You guys may be surprised to find out that damage is not done by a "bump", but by a hook being hooked to the front bumper when the truck doesn't run and is being towed. Or it's towing something else backing up. There is a reason I know this. :)

With the rubber air dam hanging down in the front, there is little to no place to hook to on the front of these trucks.

broncc

Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
My credo
Hey that's my black Bronco II. I hit that bumper on a rock during that wheeling trip.
Ha small world. I like the truck a lot.

With the rubber air dam hanging down in the front, there is little to no place to hook to on the front of these trucks.
If you look at the first pic of the thread you can see baby's first metal working project: front tow hooks!

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Now I’m going to have to look at all of mine... see what you started!

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
Come-along wrapped around a tree with hook on bumper, get taunt, then hit the bulge in the bumper with a sledge on a 2x4. It will come right out.

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Never put off ‘til tomorrow what you can put off indefinitely
Hey, I’m crazy, but looks to me like the truck bumped something outside the frame bolts, pushed that outside of the bumper back, so it popped the bumper up and probably down at a “fold” spot.

Check if there’s a similar warp outward at the same place underneath. That would support my theory. Simply trying to push the top warp down and the bottom warp up will just make it more wavy.

Edit insert: I don’t think you can push the warps up and down or squeeze them together resulting in the end of the bumper moving forward. You have to do both at once.

I’m thinking you have to pull the bumper forward near the guilty end at the same time you squeeze the warps inward. (Huh? Yeah, standing on one leg facing north?)

Maybe this: loosen the bumper bolts. Pull the truck up to a tree in front of the guilty side, put a come along around the tree with a strap around the bumper (no hooks), and very very gently start pulling the bumper forward. At the same time, squeeze the two warps together with a big C clamp. Go very slow. Once it’s tensed up, get a big mallet, and you can bump (shock) the end of the bumper forward, and bump the warps inward. The come a long and the clamp will set the alignment, the bumping/rapping will morph the metal and lock it in place.

Note: it’s easy to bend the bumper back and deform it. That’s actually part of the crush zone safety design. It’s very hard to pull it out. Once it’s pulled to the original curve, the curved-in top and bottom stop it from pulling further. So you can’t pull it to far and then let it spring back to the right place. Working it with the mallets will morph the metal so it stays in place.

For mallets, many times I have taken a pine limb of the right diameter (“2” to 10”), drilled in the side, and glued in a handle (a smaller limb). Takes 3 minutes. I have also made these “log” mallets with angles or curved faces, ballpine looking end, points, etc., depending what I want to hammer into place.

As always, my 2 cents, hope it helps. & I lived your write up!

broncc

Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
My credo
Oh my its inescapable. Got a picture from a friend who recently got a Bronco...

This photo actually gives insight on how the bumps are created and how to remove them. Seems if you pull the grille, you can massage the dent down with a mallet while pulling the corner of the bumper in the forward direction supporting Rick's theory.

Last edited:

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Funny.... My '90 had a straight front bumper:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals