• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.5L ('98-'01) Hard starting

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The Bluetooth OBD2 would probably be a good investment, $15-$25, assuming you have a smart phone that can run FREE APPs
Live Data can save you lots of time, you can see the voltage or data from each sensor in real time , just like computer is seeing it, so can see if its a sensor issue

DCman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
P205/75-R14
Can you recommend a make/model?

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
OBDLink Mx+ if you want the best ($100). BAFX if you want a cheap chinese knockoff, but they do work ($20).

Orca

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Can you recommend a make/model?
Assuming that you prefer a wireless (not USB-cabled) scantool and that your own hardware (tablet, phone, or laptop) supports Bluetooth communication...

If the only vehicle that you plan to use a scanner on is your 1998 Ford (or other Fords of similar vintage, say roughly 1996-2004) , then I'd recommend the Bluetooth version of the scanner made by "BAFX Products" ($21 on Amazon -- search for "BAFX OBD2", ignoring the $27 WiFi version).

If you think you might want to use the scanner on a newer Ford (probably 2005 and up, but I'm not sure about the exact year) and/or on some newer non-Ford vehicles, then I would recommend a scanner that supports MS-CAN (Medium-Speed CAN -- newer Ford vehicles use it) and/or SW-CAN (Single-Wire CAN -- newer GM vehicles use it). As just one example, the OBDLink MX+ supports both of those protocols.

As for the software to use with a scantool (which is at least as important as the scantool hardware itself!), I'm surprised that nobody here has mentioned FORScan. It's well worth the time investment to learn it.

EDIT TO ADD: Forgot to mention that Bluetooth BAFX won't work with iOS. Works fine with Android and Windows, though.

DCman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
P205/75-R14
I just want to keep my truck running.
Thanks for the advice,

DCman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
P205/75-R14
The Bluetooth OBD2 would probably be a good investment, $15-$25, assuming you have a smart phone that can run FREE APPs
Live Data can save you lots of time, you can see the voltage or data from each sensor in real time , just like computer is seeing it, so can see if its a sensor issue
Sorry, but is "The Bluetooth OBD2" a Make/Model of bluetooth reader?
I tried looking it up but nothing particular hit.
It sounds like you're talking about something specific, but I think I'm missing something here.
Can you please clarify what it is you're referring to?
Thanks.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
There are several models
I used an elm327, the blue one, for many years, no complaints

I recently got a BlueDriver which cost 4 times more but still not that expensive, because it can read transmission codes, elm327 couldn't
No complaints, but have only used it a few times on relative's vehicles

I did get a 5ft extension cable when I got the elm327 years ago, it was an extra $5 at the time, have not used it alot but DID NEED IT on a few vehicles because the OBD2 plug in the vehicle didn't line up with opening in dash, lol, so couldn't slide in the elm327 in all the way
Not an issue on most vehicles, but very handy to have when it IS an issue

DCman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
P205/75-R14
Thanks Ron.
Appreciate the guidance.

Orca

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I did get a 5ft extension cable when I got the elm327 years ago, it was an extra $5 at the time, have not used it alot but DID NEED IT on a few vehicles because the OBD2 plug in the vehicle didn't line up with opening in dash, lol, so couldn't slide in the elm327 in all the way
Not an issue on most vehicles, but very handy to have when it IS an issue
+1 on RonD's suggestion to get an OBD2 extension cable. Even if/when it's not needed to fit the scantool in the vehicle's OBD2 socket, it can be handy to put the scantool's status LEDs up where you can more easily see them. And some vehicles have a socket that's upside-down, making the LEDs virtually impossible to see without an extension cable (or a small mirror)!

I recently got a BlueDriver which cost 4 times more but still not that expensive, because it can read transmission codes, elm327 couldn't
Are you sure you mean "read" and not "interpret"? I can understand a piece of software not having the smarts to interpret some trouble codes (i.e. to show the human-friendly description of the code), but if the scantool's hardware supports the protocol used by the PCM, then it should have no issues reading any trouble codes from the PCM (transmission-related or otherwise). (For simplicity, I'm ignoring the [uncommon, IMHO] cases where a vehicle uses separate ECM and TCM.)

@DCman: Some software may not be able to show the human-friendly description of the code (typically because it's one of the many manufacturer-specific codes), but that doesn't (shouldn't) mean that the software cannot "read the code" (e.g. "P0700"). If the software can report but not describe the code, just look up the code/description on the Internet. And that's just one reason why I recommend using FORScan -- it knows the descriptions of Ford-specific trouble codes. There's a lot of misleading information out there and a lot of people get confused about this, so feel free to ask if you're uncertain about any of this.

I used an elm327, the blue one, for many years
"ELM327" is a popular chip sold by Elm Electronics, used in countless scantool designs. It's unfortunate that manufacturers of those scantools use that overly generic term to identify their products because it causes endless confusion!

DCman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
P205/75-R14
+1 on RonD's suggestion to get an OBD2 extension cable....
@DCman: Some software may not be able to show the human-friendly description of the code (typically because it's one of the many manufacturer-specific codes), but that doesn't (shouldn't) mean that the software cannot "read the code" (e.g. "P0700"). If the software can report but not describe the code, just look up the code/description on the Internet. And that's just one reason why I recommend using FORScan -- it knows the descriptions of Ford-specific trouble codes. There's a lot of misleading information out there and a lot of people get confused about this, so feel free to ask if you're uncertain about any of this.
"ELM327" is a popular chip sold by Elm Electronics, used in countless scantool designs. It's unfortunate that manufacturers of those scantools use that overly generic term to identify their products because it causes endless confusion!
I currently own a Zurich ZR4 and I believe it not only gives the code, but defines it as well.
What do you guys think about this one? --> https://www.amazon.com/unbrand-ELM327-Modified-ELMconfig-Forscan/dp/B07YFX46VM/ref=sr_1_18?dchild=1&keywords=ELM327&qid=1616423324&sr=8-18
(If you need a refresher on how my truck is setup, look at my info on the left)

Orca

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I currently own a Zurich ZR4 [...]
That's very helpful for us to know. I wish you'd said that earlier, but better late than never. :)
and I believe it not only gives the code, but defines it as well.
I cannot find a manual for that model online, so I assume that you're OK with its code-reading abilities. Just curious... what does it lack? Live data? Graphing? Access to certain modules (e.g. ABS or airbags)? Other stuff?

EDIT: Found the ZR4 manual (1.8MB PDF). It looks like it describes the generic codes nicely but refers you to their website for interpretation of any reported manufacturer-specific codes. And no live data or graphing.
What do you guys think about this one?
It's hard to recommend any scantool that I've never used. Having said that, here are some unorganized thoughts about the one you linked to....
  1. That is a wired (USB-cabled) scantool, so I assume you plan to use it on a (probably Windows) laptop. If you are wanting to use it with a tablet or smartphone, you'd need a "USB OTG" ("On-The-Go") adapter in most cases and your tablet or smartphone operating system would have to support USB OTG.
  2. Your link points to a good example of another scantool that uses the overly generic term "ELM327" to label it. In reality, at that price, there's almost no way it's using a genuine ELM327 chip, which can pose problems if it doesn't support the full ELM327 command set.
  3. I see no reviews on Amazon and very few sales on the Amazon page for that seller. That's not very encouraging.
  4. They use the term "Forscan" in the product "name". IIRC, I've seen people commenting on the FORScan forums saying that they bought adapters like that and had problems. FORScan officially supports the "OBDLink EX" scantool and, AFAIK, no others. But if all you want to use it on is your 1998 Ranger, then the 'OBDLink EX', which supports MS-CAN (which your truck undoubtedly does not have), is overkill.
  5. It has a manual toggle switch to select "HS-CAN" and "MS-CAN". A good thing, if it works, but your 1998 Ranger won't be using MS-CAN and those switches are often mislabeled, leading to countless cases where people using FORScan have (fixable, but confusing) problems.
I do own a Bluetooth "BAFX Products" scantool (and 3 other types, 2 USB and 1 more Bluetooth). I typically use my oldest, USB-cabled scantool (no longer sold), so my "BAFX" doesn't see a lot of use. But I've never had any issues with it to date and it supports everything I need for my 2004 Ranger (and several other vehicles of that vintage).

Hope that helps a bit.

Last edited:

DCman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
P205/75-R14
Orca,

Read back through the thread and you'll see where this conversation deviated from gathering the experience of other members, in order to fathom out a hard starting issue I'm having with my truck, to a recommendation thread on bluetooth readers (although one did begat the other, so its not a hard deviation).
Anyway, that will answer your question.
...and the ZR4 worked very nicely in diagnosing an earlier issue I had, which turned out to be a bad MAF sensor.
Unfortunately, this time, the pooder ain't throwin' any codes, so the ZR4 doesn't help me.

Orca

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Read back through the thread and you'll see where this conversation deviated [...]
Anyway, that will answer your question.
Huh?!? :icon_confused: I don't have a question.

@RonD (wisely) suggested that you look at "live data". I thought you were looking for advice on what scantool hardware to buy to accomplish that. I have lots of personal experience in that area and offered my best advice. If you're implying that I somehow derailed the thread, then I offer my sincere apologies and will cease to comment further.

DCman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
P205/75-R14
Never mind, you crossed it out. Finding the manual for my reader must've answered your question.
No, I did not ask about bluetooth scanners. It was something RonD brought up.
I'm trying to diagnois a hard starting problem that persists with my truck.

Orca

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Never mind, you crossed it out. Finding the manual for my reader must've answered your question.
No, I did not ask about bluetooth scanners. It was something RonD brought up.
I'm trying to diagnois a hard starting problem that persists with my truck.
I think I see the problem/confusion. You seem to have thought that my "deleted" questions were for my benefit. That was not the case. I asked them, prior to my having found the ZR4 manual, only to help assess your needs and hopefully give better advice. I assure you that I have no interest in buying the ZR4, but I realize that I didn't make that clear. I've had all of the ZR4's capabilities since buying my 1st USB scantool over 10 years ago.

Again, my apologies. I hope your thread gets back on track soon.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals