• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Woah Black Betty, the Danger Ranger!

strugbus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Ok, so the woodworking is pretty much done! Sunday ended up being a super long day. We wanted to go ride the mountain bikes but ended up burning the daylight on the faucet install. Allie had the idea that she could build a pivot for a stow away faucet that would use the cabinet top to lock into place. As you can tell we got the faucet done, we also got the 41" cutting board top cut and hinged, but it's not "finished" as we're still planning to route a blood channel into the surface. I didn't get pics of this as I was in a hurry to get the truck home from the wood shop. I have some very minor bits of woodworking left to do, but this week should see the last of that completed and allow us to start on plumbing and electrical.

Of course, as is always the case after spending a fortune on a vehicle the Check engine light came on while I was driving it home. I pulled over, made sure I had oil and she wasn't overheating then just drove her home. I'll pull the code tomorrow night when I get home and see what's up. I'm not terribly concerned about it, worst case scenario I have a good running 4.0 in the driveway I can toss in. I'm sure with all the work and banging around some stupid PoS smog thing failed though.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
There is always something...

strugbus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I'm not dead yet! Things have been progressing...

I went to my good friend Kelly's for assistance getting the lift and new suspension installed. She's amazing and has her name in the Bonneville record books as the mechanic on a record setting team.
20210213_100733.jpg

I don't think it to her 10 minutes to get the truck in the air and wheels off.

I bought a 4" lift kit from wulf. It was basically just drop spindles and an add a leaf. There were no instructions at all and although they have a help line it was Saturday.

There was definitely some assembly required up front.
20210213_144851.jpg

Had to cut and grind off the lip because the spindles were slightly bound up.
20210214_154737.jpg

New spindles and Bilstein's on.

20210214_163036.jpg

New rotors and pads up front. My rotors and all things suspension were completely shot.

Rear up and add a leaf going in:
20210214_122504.jpg

20210214140037_IMG_0698.JPG

I bet you want to see a picture of it done? To bad I haven't taken one because I'm lazy.

I also got latches installed on the solar panels to stop them from flopping around. No pics of that or the new tailgate handle (I'm on my 3rd handle).

I did get a picture of the new water inlet for the onboard tank though:
20210217_143219.jpg

Ok now, for the issues:
The rear isn't level, it'll probably need about 1.5-2" of lift. Taking recommendations on blocks and shackles for that. I'll do it when we swap the axle.

I have what I think is an abs issue. At very low speeds if the wheel is even slightly turned it clicks and pops. Its never done this before and we put new speed sensors in with the spindles and rotors. Everything up front is new.

Any thoughts?

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
1.5-2”? Axle blocks from a pre-2008 4X4 Ranger should get you that.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Did the kit come with new brake lines?

rumblecloud

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1-1/2 inch front leveling
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
31/10.50/15
My credo
What's the worst that could happen?
Oooh, I happen to have a pre 2008 4x4 ranger in my driveway...
Ooooohhh....sarcasm...I love sarcasm. Love this build too.
You mean you really don't have one in your driveway...do you? :yahoo:

strugbus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Did the kit come with new brake lines?
It did not. They don't seem to have an issues though.
Ooooohhh....sarcasm...I love sarcasm. Love this build too.
You mean you really don't have one in your driveway...do you? :yahoo:
I do....

Ok more work has been done! The driver side wheel speed sensor wasn't fully tight and was tripping the ABS a couple turns with the wrench and all good.

We got more woodworking done on the rear and besides some latches and minor things that will probably come up from electrical and plumbing to come.

Quick shot of the truck for those of you needing a post lift look. Don't judge her, 35's are coming!
20210223_101433.jpg

GF made the handle for opening the rear a ❤!
20210222_204130.jpg

I think this is the first pic since all the pieces went in of the cabinets themselves in action. I got the interior spaces we left between the bed walls spray foamed along with the gaps in the wood floor/skin.
20210223_101403.jpg

Extended and with the 41" cutting board top:
20210223_112910.jpg

Pushed in:
20210223_113240.jpg

WHAT'S IN THE BOX!?!
20210223_115330.jpg

Other notable progress was cutting the bedding into cushions. My GF's wife is making the covers for me, she's a sweetheart. We also got a 90⁰ fitting and drilled the hole for the propane hose.

I'm hoping to get her out to a local camping spot for a night or two soon and see what's up and what I need to change. Plumbing and electrical is coming soon and I plan on doing it right because I don't want to do it again.

I either have a flu or covid, have been feeling rough the past couple days. Waiting on test results

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Thanks, I'm buying the same kit soon, probably gonna install it this spring. I was curious if the OEM lines had enough reach when the caliper is moved down. :icon_thumby:

I don't suppose you have any other pics of the binding issue you had on the lower control arm that you had to grind? First time I've heard of this issue so its a little concerning but doesn't look like you had to do too much to fix it.

Have you had it aligned since installing the spindles? A spindle lift shouldn't effect much but im also curious about that as well as any effects on On-Road ride quality changes? Obviously some more body roll i would assume but its a truck not a sports car.

Love your truck. :icon_thumby:

strugbus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Thanks, I'm buying the same kit soon, probably gonna install it this spring. I was curious if the OEM lines had enough reach when the caliper is moved down. :icon_thumby:

I don't suppose you have any other pics of the binding issue you had on the lower control arm that you had to grind? First time I've heard of this issue so its a little concerning but doesn't look like you had to do too much to fix it.

Have you had it aligned since installing the spindles? A spindle lift shouldn't effect much but im also curious about that as well as any effects on On-Road ride quality changes? Obviously some more body roll i would assume but its a truck not a sports car.

Love your truck. :icon_thumby:
So I did get it aligned and it wasn't a big deal at all. They didn't have any issues. I'll attach a before and then the after pics of the trim. I didn't trim it myself but basically the edge of the lip was binding. It was actually bad enough we couldn't get the spindle on without the trim, it was a bit of a leap of faith to do the trim and hope it would be enough. It totally is though and I'd do it again.

Before:
20210213_120739.jpg

After:
20210213_144846.jpg

20210213_144851.jpg

Hope that helps!

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
So I did get it aligned and it wasn't a big deal at all. They didn't have any issues. I'll attach a before and then the after pics of the trim. I didn't trim it myself but basically the edge of the lip was binding. It was actually bad enough we couldn't get the spindle on without the trim, it was a bit of a leap of faith to do the trim and hope it would be enough. It totally is though and I'd do it again.

Before:
View attachment 56031

After:
View attachment 56029
View attachment 56030

Hope that helps!
Thanks, you're awesome.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Great work! How do you plan on hinging the lids? Piano hinge? It has worked well enough with the current platform in my 2011. When I go to replace the platform with a taller one that has drawers, I plan on using piano hinges again since the one has worked so well. However, since you are doing such a nicer job than I plan to do and have done, piano hinge with the barrel exposed might not be the look you want.

strugbus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Great work! How do you plan on hinging the lids? Piano hinge? It has worked well enough with the current platform in my 2011. When I go to replace the platform with a taller one that has drawers, I plan on using piano hinges again since the one has worked so well. However, since you are doing such a nicer job than I plan to do and have done, piano hinge with the barrel exposed might not be the look you want.
Yes, they're all hinged with Piano hinges. My girlfriend has had so much fun doing this she wants to do more. If anyone else is near Santa Maria CA we'll be looking for more toys to build afterward. My skoolie project is still a ways off.

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.

strugbus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I think a shakedown trip may happen this weekend, do an overnight camping trip to get an idea of how she actually feels as a sleeping platform before I do electrical & plumbing.

We got side furring strips into the shell and latches for the cabinets installed. I've been using her a lot more, starting to miss my stereo pretty badly heh. That will be fixed soon I hope.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals