• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Never received title

xlranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger xl
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
ford 302
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
Tire Size
40s
Ok I'm hoping I can get some help on were to go with this bc the dmv never answers. I have a 86 ranger reg cab good clean title truck is heavily modified axles motor ect however the body is roached bad I was younger and didn't really know how hard it was to obtain a title without a bill of sale but I found an amazing cab bed good doors fenders for $300 I live in Pennsylvania it was listed in ohio I beat feet to get it and I asked if he had a title he said yes he was keeping it for his docs on his build he used the frame of the truck for his rod he was building I was so stoked about the condition of the parts i didn't ask for a bill of sale well 6 yrs later I'm ready to get my body prepped painted and ready but thought I'll look into obtaining a title and it's near impossible. It was 6 yrs ago and I don't remember were I got it i did a title search and theres no lien or stolen it hasn't been re titled/registered since 13' so I've heard other states it's easier to get proof of ownership but I don't have a bill of sale. maybe do a bonded title I'm not sure what my options are or how would I get the guys info off the title to contact him this body is in such amazing shape for an 84 I can't let it go to waist and I'll never find another please help. Maybe try a title place that kinda makes ownership out of nothing? Does ohio have anything after so many years of no activity of registration that its booted out of the dmv system

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
You live in a different state than the title, so that is going to make it very difficult. I was in this situation one time in Va, but the car was titled in Va. The guy I was buying it from had a garage (had a car repair business license) and he went to the DMV and requested a mechanics lien. The DMV sent a letter to the last known registered title holder, and they had 30 days to respond. If they do not respond in 30 days, the garage goes to the DMV and gets the title in their name and then they can sell it. In my case, it was a old 57 chevy 2 dr hardtop, and hadn't been registered since the 60's. The guy did show up, but was too late and even offered the garage guy more money, but he kept his word and sold it to me, the other guy had gone past the 30 day limit.

If you know any guys with a garage business, they may be able to help you out.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
From everything I've read, it's possible to do but there is going to be a lot of work, time, and frustration involved in getting it done. They person you bought the truck off of basically did you dirty.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
hell, I had enough of a bad time getting a title tranfered that was involved with a estate, I’ll never mess with that again. They make too big a deal about older vehicles, this aint no 428 CJ mustang, Theres litterly next to no book value on any 20+ year old ranger. A few years back I was scrapping out the body of one of dads old S10 blazers, I towed it in on a flatbed wagon, just the body. no frame/motor/axles/glass/interior. THEY wanted a title, like I would go to all that effort over $50 in scrap? So not only is getting it road legal a issue, but you cant seem to get rid of them either.

Alan_nc

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I don't know if this is a site violation or not .....please remove if it is

The on-line title companies do work. I have used them several times.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
hell, I had enough of a bad time getting a title tranfered that was involved with a estate, I’ll never mess with that again. They make too big a deal about older vehicles, this aint no 428 CJ mustang, Theres litterly next to no book value on any 20+ year old ranger. A few years back I was scrapping out the body of one of dads old S10 blazers, I towed it in on a flatbed wagon, just the body. no frame/motor/axles/glass/interior. THEY wanted a title, like I would go to all that effort over $50 in scrap? So not only is getting it road legal a issue, but you cant seem to get rid of them either.
You can thank the car theft rings for all the paperwork you have to go through. When metal was bringing lots of money (it's getting pretty high again now) people were stealing cars parked in peoples back fields and yards and taking them to the scrapper for money. That's why you need a title for a vehicle you bring in.

They also want all your information and sometimes take your picture if you bring in something suspicious. Like a bunch of copper wire or copper plumbing pipe. I think I read in the news years ago they had people stealing man hole covers and taking them to the scrapper. They had a couple guys get electrocuted trying to steal powered wires off a electric pole.

dccarpenter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I had good results on my last motorcycle with one of the online title companies.

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
For me if no title no deal

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
So you have the body, but no frame? Why not just keep it titled as the truck you are swapping the parts onto?

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
So you have the body, but no frame? Why not just keep it titled as the truck you are swapping the parts onto?
Because the vin tag you can see in the windshield would not match the title. There are some numbers on the frame, not sure where they are at on a ranger frame. Disturbing the tag in the windshield on the new cab by taking it off or replacing it puts you in the same category as the car thieves and chop shops giving clear low mileage titles to pieces of junk to make money or swapping tags to clean up a stolen vehicle. It's a mess for sure.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Because the vin tag you can see in the windshield would not match the title. There are some numbers on the frame, not sure where they are at on a ranger frame. Disturbing the tag in the windshield on the new cab by taking it off or replacing it puts you in the same category as the car thieves and chop shops giving clear low mileage titles to pieces of junk to make money or swapping tags to clean up a stolen vehicle. It's a mess for sure.
^^^^This^^^^ Thank the crooks for making things difficult for the rest of society. Because of what they do, and the government wanting their pound of flesh in tribute, the system has been made very difficult for those wanting to do the right thing.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Research the heck out of it but I have heard of people going thru Vermont to get plates/title.

No idea on the precise legality and ease of process.

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
Research the heck out of it but I have heard of people going thru Vermont to get plates/title.

No idea on the precise legality and ease of process.
you beat me to it, anything older than 15 years (I believe) in VT does not need a title and you don't need to live there or go to the dmv to register a vehicle, it can be done through the mail. You would get a registration and that could be turned into a title in your state. I'd imagine the loophole will close up eventually though.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B3000
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Even VT requires a Bill of Sale which he states that he does not have.

Ray

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Here's what I would do. I would go back to the DMV in the state where it was last registered. Due to privacy laws, they probably can't give you the name of the person it was registered to, but they may be able to contact him on your behalf and have him get in touch with you.

Or, you could call your local police department and report an abandoned vehicle. They'll then run the VIN to find the prior owner, contact him regarding removal, and when he comes to "remove" the truck, offer to buy it from him again.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals