• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bed/Body Rust Protection

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
Or just shart on it.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I'm not saying the oil doesn't work, but in some cases it is not the best option. My uncle had (IIRC) a late 50's chevy small block that had the down draft vent tube that kept the underside coated. If you had an older (70's or 80's ) truck that was a farm truck, or located in a rural area, you could do it no problem. I know in my area (NJ), if anyone saw me spraying used motor oil on the bottom of the truck, they would report me to the EPA and have me fined.

I know that I would not want to do that to a newer truck that I would be keeping for awhile. I would not want to have to work on it and deal with layers of crud that have to be scraped away. Plus, the motor oil will have to be reapplied often.
Just so we're clear. While motor oil works, the "oil" products made for this job like fluid film are actually more of a wax and do dry into a tacky film and not just stay a dripping mess. You can't lump the two into the same category. Alot of places (a couple in NJ) offer fluid film coating service. Usually costs about $175 bucks and is completely legal.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
I've been using Fluid Film. it does creep into seams. even up the outside of a door about 3".

anybody use one of the electronic rust inhibitors?

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
I assume that's a NO!

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Oh you were serious...

Its a scam. The concept comes from sacrificial anodes on boats, bridges, water heaters etc. The anode and metal its protecting need to be submerged in a electrolyte solution for it to work. So yes electronic rust prevention systems work, if you keep your car parked in a lake.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
Fluid film is better than nothing but it smells like rotting flesh and washes off real fast. Bar and chain oil works great but you have to keep it away from body mounts, brake hoses, and anything else made of rubber.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I must be a zombie... I think fluid film smells good. :ROFLMAO:

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
Oh you were serious...

Its a scam. The concept comes from sacrificial anodes on boats, bridges, water heaters etc. The anode and metal its protecting need to be submerged in a electrolyte solution for it to work. So yes electronic rust prevention systems work, if you keep your car parked in a lake.
somewhat serious.
I know about the sacrificial anode stuff. after all that's what galvanizing is.
according to what little I remember from chemistry classes rust/oxidation occurs when some electro-voltaic imbalance is present and it tries to equalize itself
by oxidizing something, usually iron. or zinc in the case of galvanized parts.

"according to them", the "electronic rust stoppers" apply an opposite electrical charge that negates the urge to oxidize.

I've seen the opposite of rust stoppers occur, like how a battery tray or steel hold down will evenly coat itself with a thin layer of rust.
also had it happen on a car in storage once. a VW with a dead battery had the thin layer of rust evenly creep across the valve cover.
it was a well defined line between paint and a skim of rust, and the rust was very even over the area affected.

once the battery was removed the rust stopped advancing.

as to how well they work when subjected to a salt bath, well I'm not so sure about that. those pesky sodium and chlorine ions seem to take a real intense liking to iron.
and aluminum.

MikeG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
235/75r15
Batteries out-gas and that is why they rust everything around them.

I believe that galvanic corrosion requires an electrolyte solution (ie. water with at least some trace minerals / ions in it).

From everything that I have read about it, I don't think any electrical device could work on a car, because the car is electrically isolated from the ground. They do work on pipelines, ships, and so forth.

Last edited:

09fx4guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre Key w/ #1 Bars
Tire Size
265/70R16
Dirtman- I do use fluid film in spots that would be tough to reach, and I have no complaints. I didn't mean to imply that fluid film is illegal, but since I live in a metro area where people are always around. I know if somebody saw me spraying used motor oil, I would have some crazy lady come up to me shouting about how I am destroying the environment and that I should be in jail, blah blah blah. Then I'd end up on a video on facebook. And no, you are not a zombie, I do enjoy the smell of FluidFilm too.

PJtoledo- So, here is my experience with electronic anti-rust systems. When my grandfather brought his Grand Marquis brand new in 2001, they sold him on some electronic anti rust thing. I always thought it was a hoax myself. However, after 20 years of time on the roads in NJ, where they use salt six months of the year because nobody can drive on one inch of snow, the car is remarkably rust free. The frame has zero rust, and the body has one slight bit of rust from being pinched in one small area. It is a slight bit of surface rust that has not progressed in almost 10 years.

I am not saying that I would ever spend money on one, but I can't say that it doesn't work.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
Dirtman- I do use fluid film in spots that would be tough to reach, and I have no complaints. I didn't mean to imply that fluid film is illegal, but since I live in a metro area where people are always around. I know if somebody saw me spraying used motor oil, I would have some crazy lady come up to me shouting about how I am destroying the environment and that I should be in jail, blah blah blah. Then I'd end up on a video on facebook. And no, you are not a zombie, I do enjoy the smell of FluidFilm too.

PJtoledo- So, here is my experience with electronic anti-rust systems. When my grandfather brought his Grand Marquis brand new in 2001, they sold him on some electronic anti rust thing. I always thought it was a hoax myself. However, after 20 years of time on the roads in NJ, where they use salt six months of the year because nobody can drive on one inch of snow, the car is remarkably rust free. The frame has zero rust, and the body has one slight bit of rust from being pinched in one small area. It is a slight bit of surface rust that has not progressed in almost 10 years.

I am not saying that I would ever spend money on one, but I can't say that it doesn't work.

thanks.

my 2019 Edge is equipped with one, time will tell.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals