• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What did you do to your Ranger today? (Part Deux!)

G8orFord

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC S/C
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Just the right size to touch the ground.
And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you — ask what you can do for your country.

My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.
and why did I quote JFK?

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I think I'm worthy of being quoted.

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo

jelinski

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
I have a '94 Mazda B4000 (rebadged Ranger with 4.0 liter engine). For a long time (years!) it has seemed like the air conditioner does not blow as hard as it should. The blower sounds like it's running OK, just not much airflow out of the dash panel outlets.
Today (after putting if off for years!) I finally got in the right mood, and dug into it. I pulled the air cleaner and coolant overflow/washer fluid tank out of the way, and removed the blower, intending to check and see if the blower motor was running properly, and to see if it was getting full voltage when on high speed.
Removing the blower, I saw bits of leaves in the ductwork. I removed the dropping resistor assembly, and it was FULL of leaf bits! The blower is fine, the AC evaporator core was stopped up with leaf bits!
I used a shop vacuum (with the hose at the blower passages) and compressed air (blowing in at the dropping resistor pack opening) in the heater unit housing, and blew/vacuumed out all the leaf bits. Used a piece of rubber hose on the air blower for flexibility, then a piece of plastic tubing pressed into the end of the rubber hose as a blower tip, and was able to flex this nozzle all around to blow out all the leaf bits. Used a flashlight and a 'mirror on a stick' through the blower duct to inspect the entire surface of the evaporator core and make sure it was all clear.
Put 'er back together and now it flows more air on 'low' than it used to flow on 'high'.

Not a big deal, but a nice little evening project with a good result.

That's what I did with my (rebadged) Ranger today!

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
I have a '94 Mazda B4000 (rebadged Ranger with 4.0 liter engine). For a long time (years!) it has seemed like the air conditioner does not blow as hard as it should. The blower sounds like it's running OK, just not much airflow out of the dash panel outlets.
Today (after putting if off for years!) I finally got in the right mood, and dug into it. I pulled the air cleaner and coolant overflow/washer fluid tank out of the way, and removed the blower, intending to check and see if the blower motor was running properly, and to see if it was getting full voltage when on high speed.
Removing the blower, I saw bits of leaves in the ductwork. I removed the dropping resistor assembly, and it was FULL of leaf bits! The blower is fine, the AC evaporator core was stopped up with leaf bits!
I used a shop vacuum (with the hose at the blower passages) and compressed air (blowing in at the dropping resistor pack opening) in the heater unit housing, and blew/vacuumed out all the leaf bits. Used a piece of rubber hose on the air blower for flexibility, then a piece of plastic tubing pressed into the end of the rubber hose as a blower tip, and was able to flex this nozzle all around to blow out all the leaf bits. Used a flashlight and a 'mirror on a stick' through the blower duct to inspect the entire surface of the evaporator core and make sure it was all clear.
Put 'er back together and now it flows more air on 'low' than it used to flow on 'high'.

Not a big deal, but a nice little evening project with a good result.

That's what I did with my (rebadged) Ranger today!
You’re lucky the leaves didn’t catch fire from the resistor.

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15

Alan_nc

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Finally got the drive shaft back in. Took Floyd for about a 10 mile run. Seems to have gotten rid of some vibrations.
Hey....I'm happy anyway.

ThatOneGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1983 1993
Make / Model
Ranger Explorer
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Explorer is 4.0 ranger is 2.3 soon to be 4.0
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75/15
My credo
Let the universe take you where it will !!!
I recently bought another 83 ranger 2.3 4x4, my original was a 2.8 but has sat for ten years now, I have a good running truck but she is rough around the edges. Iv'e been stripping the entire interior dash frame included going to go through wires with a fine tooth comb damn tweaker wire mutilation. Gotta replace fuse box clean,deal with surface rust as that's all there is even original floor pans are solid as new. Truck does look like a pine tree died in it though needles and dirt everywhere. Once clean and repainted I have a nearly perfect full interior out of my 85 I will be installing. I figure with my three trucks and one title I should end up with a really good truck. As long as no one hates on my meticulous rattle can paint job. It can be made to look and last well if done right. Done it a few times.

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In preparation for the trail ride, I loaded some parts, extra fluids, tools, etc. In the new toolbox I had mounted in the bed, tweaked the alignment slightly to center the steering wheel and give a bit more toe-in and drove it to pick up Chinese takeout for dinner.

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
I don't count birthday's anymore...just happy to be looking down at the ground instead of looking up
Bought a set of side step bars from Amazon. Spec D 3 inch. Wife gave me permission to spend a few $$$.
I know there mostly useless but I always liked the look. Delivered next Wednesday.

Attachments

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Bought a set of side step bars from Amazon. Spec D 3 inch. Wife gave me permission to spend a few $$$.
I know there mostly useless but I always liked the look. Delivered next Wednesday.
I remember when you bought your truck... the goal was completely stock... and you were going to keep it that way. lol My how things change. It's hard to not modify...

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
I don't count birthday's anymore...just happy to be looking down at the ground instead of looking up
I remember when you bought your truck... the goal was completely stock... and you were going to keep it that way. lol My how things change. It's hard to not modify...
Hard not to mod these things. Don't think I've ever owned a vehicle that I didn't do something too.
But, I do get a lot of "thumbs up" :icon_thumby: when I'm out driving...even from "the others" owners. Even had a Chebbie owner try to buy it from me.
Havent posted in the how too's too much cause I haven't had any problems at all. Guess I'm lucky, and that I have a bit of $$$ to throw at it.
But, I do admire and respect all you members who keep the old one's going, doing your own heavy mods, rebuilding and renewing. You all have some great skill
set's, and a wealth of knowledge. :icon_cheers:

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals