• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Looks like Saleen got screwed by the Chinese government

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
Revenge for tiktok.

248.jpeg

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
China ripped off the bronco before the bronco was even released. Why would anyone try to work with them, especially from ford? They have zero obligation to follow a foreign countries patent/copyright laws so it's simply a bad decision to work with them. It sucks, but I don't feel bad for him. It's not like it was a big secret that china sucks...

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
China has been ripping off the USA for years. You have to be careful that you don't buy something on Amazon that's a Chinese knock off. They blatantly reproduce things and don't even try to alter its appearance.

This happened June 30th. Sounds like it started before that. Not sure when the TikTok drama started.

With the way things have been going in China, I don't trust them.

I remember back in the late 80's when I started in law enforcement, someone from the Department of Defense told me that there wouldn't be any wars like we had seen in the past, and that our biggest threat was terrorism. That turned out to be true.

Today I would say that our greatest threat is social media based terrorism. Those wishing to use social media as a weapon fall back on the 1st amendment of freedom of speech to keep anyone from stopping them.

Social media is the battleground of today and the future.

I think some of this really came to light with Cambridge Analytica. They used social media to influence people and control elections.

Even facebook has been accused by the United Nations in 2018 of fueling the genocide in Myanmar.

Twitter is probably the biggest hate spreader. Look at all the protests happening that are continually fueled by social media. Outsiders will use our own constitution and social media to create turmoil and violence in this country. Terrorism has found a new platform. Our constitution protects it.

So back to the TikTok issue, It seems like the concern is that data it collects from its millions of users may end up in the hands of the Chinese government. Clearly Saleen's case can serve as an example of how the Chinese government can go in and take over a company and it's intellectual properties.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I blame Nixon...

Sure, open up relations with China, what could go wrong...

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Like previously stated. It’s bot secret who China is and what they do. It’s like grabbing a tiger by the tail. Chances are very good it isn’t going to end well for the tail grabber. I don’t feel sorry for him.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Can’t say that I am surprised, China has a long history of doing whatever they want and figuring that nobody will stop them.

Once in awhile they get the knock-off right, I’ve been told that the low-speed drills that Harbor Freight is selling are the old Black & Decker ones, the kind that when you let off the trigger it will still make a couple revs and take you with it if it’s stuck. But most of the time they butcher it. I’ve broke three 3/8” breaker bars from HF and never had a cheater pipe on it. My 1/2” Craftsman I not only had a long cheater pipe on, but jumped up and down on the end of the cheater. It didn’t care. It’s not all that much beefier, but IIRC it was made in the USA instead of China....

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
China?

I use Chinet

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
It all started back in 600AD or so, when western visitors stole silk worm eggs so ended the dependence on China for silk, and then got the secret of gun power out in late 1300's
So China closed it boarders to visitors for the most part, lol.

"Sauce for the goose", so westerners approve of stealing industrial secrets/technology if its in their own interests :)

So no you should never trust China, or any other country for that matter, lol, because their best interest is by any definition the correct way to proceed.

If you don't protect your secrets/technology then that's YOUR choice, my choice is to do whats best for ME, thats western philosophy as taught to the rest of the world, China learned that

You can get more done with cooperation until you can't, thats when the chips fly and fall where they may

EDIT:
That deal Saleen and Wang did looked a little "too good to be true", not surprised they went for it, but they really had no leverage once the designs were done and the plant was built
"Good faith" is a virtuous human trait, and failing, and worth the paper is not written on

Never forget the moral of The scorpion and frog story
A scorpion, which cannot swim, asks a frog to carry it across a river on the frog's back.
The frog hesitates, afraid of being stung by the scorpion, but the scorpion argues that if it did that, they would both drown.
The frog considers this argument sensible and agrees to transport the scorpion.
Midway across the river, the scorpion stings the frog anyway, dooming them both.
The dying frog asks the scorpion why it stung despite knowing the consequence, to which the scorpion replies:
"I couldn't help it. It's in my nature."
The Scorpion is not evil, nor is any government, but "it is their nature" to do things that others would consider Evil

Last edited:

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Putting Muslims in concentration camps, Harvesting the organs of Christians and Falun Gong practitioners, Blatantly stealing American and European Intellectual property, Violating human rights for last 60+ years of its citizens and those in and around the area. Land grabs, Ocean grabs, Putting spies in our institutions for the last 4 decades, Turning low earth orbit into a shrapnel field. Dont even get me started on the silk road....
Or the way they "sell" infrastructure to poor African nations.

And the list goes on and on and on.....

The problem is how do we get the entire world against them? yes, including Russia and Pakistan....

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
The problem is how do we get the entire world against them? yes, including Russia and Pakistan....
I actually have a plan for this. It involves putting the Berlin wall back up, Selling California to the Australians, Alaska to the Japanese, and weaponizing bats.

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
It all started back in 600AD or so, when western visitors stole silk worm eggs so ended the dependence on China for silk, and then got the secret of gun power out in late 1300's
So China closed it boarders to visitors for the most part, lol.

"Sauce for the goose", so westerners approve of stealing industrial secrets/technology if its in their own interests :)

So no you should never trust China, or any other country for that matter, lol, because their best interest is by any definition the correct way to proceed.

If you don't protect your secrets/technology then that's YOUR choice, my choice is to do whats best for ME, thats western philosophy as taught to the rest of the world, China learned that

You can get more done with cooperation until you can't, thats when the chips fly and fall where they may

EDIT:
That deal Saleen and Wang did looked a little "too good to be true", not surprised they went for it, but they really had no leverage once the designs were done and the plant was built
"Good faith" is a virtuous human trait, and failing, and worth the paper is not written on

Never forget the moral of The scorpion and frog story

The Scorpion is not evil, nor is any government, but "it is their nature" to do things that other would consider Evil
All though I agree with the point you are drawing from a historical perspective. Thats no excuse, The CCP hasn't been around long enough for those grievances to be legitimate. They imposed communism on them selves after a pure evil assault from Imperial Japan. The only reason the PLA survived WW2 was they hid like cowards and waited for the war to be over to strick.

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I actually have a plan for this. It involves putting the Berlin wall back up, Selling California to the Australians, Alaska to the Japanese, and weaponizing bats.
Sounds legit.... I would rather sink California... You know, if only it was an island then we could just move everyone to one side and it will tip over.... kinda like that sitting congressman thought that about Guam.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals