• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

94 ranger running rough within 5 mins.

Trey3511

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I have a 1994 ford ranger 2.3 that I've recently gotten running again after sitting for around 5 years. I've replaced the fuel sending unit, fuel filter twice, new plugs and wires, new radiator, water pump, thermostat, air filter, and cleaned maf, iac, and throttle body. The truck runs great after I've driven it for around 5 min but when start the truck and usually when I shift to 2nd gear going down my driveway it boggs down and shutters and wants to stall. I usually rev the engine and it will clear out by the time I get to the highway. Any suggestions on what could be the problem? Thanks!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to the forum

Upstream O2 sensor is not on the list?
They wear out, use up the chemicals inside, even while just sitting, 120k miles or 10 years or so

O2 sensors are not used until engine warms up, so 3-5min on a warm day, is when there would be a problem

Also ECT(engine coolant temp) sensor, it tells computer when to "turn off the choke", after 5min or so when engine warms up
You should get a check engine light(CEL) if this was happening, but not always
ECT sensor has 2 wires, only used by the computer, 5volt unit
The dash temp gauge uses a 1 wire sender, 12v unit

RegularGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I had a 1968 Ford C700 that skipped a tooth on the timing. Caused a similar issue to yours, the engine would get flooded and you had to clear it by reving the engine or else it would start to bog. The ranger lacking a distributor makes timing an unlikely issue, but I would suspect air/fuel mixture though as stated above.

O2 sensor, coolant temp sensor, EGR can do funny things but isn't expected to be the only issue if bogging

Another consideration, at 120k it shouldn't be drinking oil. If it is, you likely have bigger issues on your hands than a sensor.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals