• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What did you do to your Ranger today? (Part Deux!)

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
That typically costs a lot of money... and have questionable results.
I agree. Cheaper to buy a boat.

With the useless wife, the disposal and environmental fees are horrendous. Then choosing and purchasing the replacement costs so much more. The tryout periods are expensive and when you finally pick a replacement and make the purchase, you still don't really know exactly what you have. The whole process is Russian Roulette at its finest with the financial burden of a stock market crash.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
wasted time changing tires, I had the golf cart up for sale and one guy offered to buy it for my listed price, no questions asked but Id have to deliver it-40 miles (one way) Another person was on the way to look at it but theres no guarantee they would buy it. Of course it will only fit in the box trailer and the ranger has the 235/75/15 tires on it, fine if youre not towing but dragging the box trailer its too much. put on the 205/75/14’s and waited. Normally Id take the escape to tow with, its proven to me to be better at towing than the ranger but It was in town to get groceries, well the 1st guy did end up taking it home so I didnt need to go on a road trip after all. The truck looks hideuos with the tiny tires and fender flares, you could run duals on all 4 corners with those tiny things.
F39A889D-3E88-4C9D-A487-219B6E33D151.jpeg
6289366F-2FAC-434B-B29C-0015C90EF26A.jpeg

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Or I could replace her useless ass.
Or you could just renew them all yourself. Take a little advice from somebody who was married, but now isn't. Pick your battles wisely. And, for crying out loud, when you talk about her in public, do NOT run her down. Build her up, even here, where you don't think she will ever figure out that it's you. You have enough information in that one post for her to put two and two together.

Last edited:

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
The '97 made the first of 3 trips to town today, first to find some clear hose to make a long distance level to level the skirt boards on my shop. Bought 54' since that's what was on their spool, takes two people but after marking all 14 posts I know where level is EVERYWHERE.

The other two trips were related to the framing nailer I didn't know I needed... Took the '00 Explorer since it's the only thing with working A/C :), the pole barn kit came with 4000 16D 21 degree nails, went to HFT to get a nailer and a motor for my secondary air compressor, found one, got home and it has a 7/8" shaft, old was 5/8" or 1/2"... the old motor has blown capacitors, should have just gotten some of those... Third trip was to try to find a motor pulley, was too late for NAPA and any electric supply place so nada. Ended up just using 200' of air hose from the garage, wasted 3 hours on a side project...

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Or you could just renew them all yourself. Take a little advice from somebody who was married, but now isn't. Pick your battles wisely. And, for crying out loud, when you talk about her in public, do NOT run her down. Build her up, even here, where you don't think she will ever figure out that it's you. You have enough information in that one post for her to put two and two together.
I had forgotten my place, I will lie next time so I can be vapid also, I forgot we are in an alternate reality now.

Everything - our houses, our clothes, our hairstyles - is meant to help us forget ourselves and to protect us from vanity, greed and envy, which are just forms of selfishness. If we have little, and want for little, and we are all equal, we envy no one.

Lol

Is this better?

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
I had forgotten my place, I will lie next time so I can be vapid also, I forgot we are in an alternate reality now.

Everything - our houses, our clothes, our hairstyles - is meant to help us forget ourselves and to protect us from vanity, greed and envy, which are just forms of selfishness. If we have little, and want for little, and we are all equal, we envy no one.

View attachment 45745

Lol

Is this better?
Go stand in the corner.

Forever

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
took it camping over 2 hours away. the Ranger at 193k miles drives better than the wifes escape at 60k miles on the highway.

AJ

Alan_nc

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Looked at the 94 sitting in the drive as I was mowing the lawn. Mower quit half way through the job. Had to pull out the back up mower - adjust the height and finish the job. And oh, by the way, it's been 90 here all day. I looked like I had gone swimming with my cloths on.

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
Looked at the 94 sitting in the drive as I was mowing the lawn. Mower quit half way through the job. Had to pull out the back up mower - adjust the height and finish the job. And oh, by the way, it's been 90 here all day. I looked like I had gone swimming with my cloths on.
Only 90? You have it so easy way up north there.
😜🤪

Guggenheim99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
After like half a year of procrastinating, finally decided to do my front suspension rebuild. 5 days before a family vacation, lol. Had all the parts by January, but it was cold, then work got busy, and I put if off. Took around 3 days, had to wait for emergency parts for 2 days, then 1 more day after that.

Purchased upper control arms w/ ball joints and bushings, tie rod ends, lower ball joints and lower control arm bushings (never did use them, more later), swaybar end links and bushings. My one end link broke in the winter like a year prior, I removed the swaybar and did not put new links since I knew I'd be doing the suspension within the next year, so I thought it was a great time to put new ones in now. Also replaced the dust seals on the half shafts. I did my front hubs about 5 months prior. I would have done those as well during this if I didn't already do it earlier.

Decided to do the 2 piece UCA to the 1 piece UCA swap. Was going to go back with the 2 piece, as MOOG sold both versions, but decided against it because I read it wasn't needed, and it would bother me with having 2 different designs on each side, lol. Did install camber bolts for the UCA's. I believe they were 3 degree ones. Also decided to replace the torsion bar bolts, cuz why not.

All apart. Decided to paint the frame and surrounding areas while I was in there, since it can only help, and it looks better putting new stuff to semi-looking new stuff. All bolts came out surprisingly easy. That little impact on the floor took every bolt off without any issue. Everything was going pretty well, but then I ran into issues with my LCA's.

I read all about the issues people having removing their torsion bars. Read that best thing to do was soak them for weeks prior. I took it up a notch. Once a week since February, I'd go out and soak where the torsion bar goes into with penetrating oil. 5 months later, they still didn't budge at all. Tried everything short of heating them up. Decided to say screw it, bite the bullet, and just buy LCA's. This was on a Saturday afternoon, 4th of July weekend, so I couldn't even hope to finish it for Monday to do the alignment at work. So I just put everything back together as far as I could, painted the torsion bars after I finally got them out, and watched the tracking, lol. Waited 2 days, Wednesday rolls around. I take off work, and finish putting it back together. Went together pretty quick. Pretty sure I spent more time that day cleaning up the garage so cars could finally park back inside. My advice, and if I ever have to do this again, just buy LCA's ahead of time with all the other parts and avoid all the trouble.

After 5 days, it's all back together. Alignment was horrible, but drove great, besides the bad pulling, tire screeching when I turned, and crazy negative camber on the road test afterwards. As you can see, it looks really good besides the semi-new looking paint on the frame. The LCA bolts were a little crusty when I initially pulled them. Went to Ford and they couldn't get new ones for like a week and half. They were like 4 states away. So I just cleaned them up with a tap and die. All in all, project was just about done.

Finally on the alignment rack at my work, 4 days late, lol. This was actually the hardest part of the job. The camber bolts literally had to be half falling off to get the cams to move. Took 3 guys, one turning the cam, and hold it (me) while another guy tightened the bolt and nut, and one more to hold the light, lol. After some swearing and fighting, we got the camber in spec, as well as toe. Threw the wheel tubs back in, took it for a spin around the parking lot. All good. Thanked the guys, went home and loaded up for vacation. Drove it 200 miles the next day with 0 issues. 3 weeks later, still working flawlessly. No more clunking, creaking while stopping, and no more nearly-falling-out driver upper ball joint. One thing I do regret was not leveling it before the alignment. I want to, but I do not want to go through doing that alignment again, and neither would my coworkers, lol. I still may, but I would just pay to have the shop down the street align it. The laundry list is now slightly smaller now, haha. P.S. Sorry for the wall of text/pics, lol

Attachments

G8orFord

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC S/C
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Just the right size to touch the ground.
Found a 2005 XLT FX4 Level II online. Contacted the guy and plan to go look at it later this week. Was looking for more of a base truck, but 4x4, for my son, but this one may be too nice to pass up. He says it needs timing chains, but by his description, I think new adjusters might keep it going for a while. Also says the O/D light flashes sometimes with a hard shift to second, probably a sensor.

What do y'all think it's worth?

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Dang... clean southern FX4 level II.

If the body is as clean as it looks... depending on what you find when you look at I would go closer to the low price. Gives you 2K to fix it and get your money back at the high end. It's been there for sale for 6 weeks... might even go a bit lower.

Not like you have been there done that before.

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
That truck here would be around $10k, and if I had the money, I'd pay it, too, especially if it was mechanically sound. But given that it sounds like it might need some repairs, I'd offer that less the cost of the repairs.

Bear in mind, though, that my 1990 was listed for $1,200.00 when I bought it. I offered $900, and got it for $1,000.00. Down there, my truck would have been less than $500.00, probably.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
Im kinda burnt out on doing stuff to my ranger, and there is so much left to do.

CEL came on the other day code 214.
Wheel bearings are loose.
Camber needs alignment, spring pads need to go in.
A/C compressor is shot.
Could use new leafs in the rear.
Both diffs could use a fluid change.
I gotta do something about the cab light.

Probably ten more things I can't think of....

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
Im kinda burnt out on doing stuff to my ranger, and there is so much left to do.

CEL came on the other day code 214.
Wheel bearings are loose.
Camber needs alignment, spring pads need to go in.
A/C compressor is shot.
Could use new leafs in the rear.
Both diffs could use a fluid change.
I gotta do something about the cab light.

Probably ten more things I can't think of....
When did you last drive it?

I usually get more inspiration to work on it if I drive it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals