• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Anybody else out of work due to the beer disease?

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
No worries, she’s feeling better today... it may just be her seasonal allergies.
I'm expecting some nasty looks for that myself when I go back to work this week. I always have bad allergies and usually a sinus infection during spring. Allergies seem to be easier so far this year, but they are still hitting. I'm expecting my bosses to try to force me into taking leave at the first good sniffle and sneeze.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
DOD civilian down here. Since you mention Fuel Tanks I'm assuming that its aircraft maintenance, so which one do you work? I've been on 15s for the last 15 years, but currently on 130s.

They're going to keep us open too. I know the work is needed and important, but seems kinda crazy with 15K+ people working elbow to elbow. Especially when the govt wants us to practice social distancing to prevent spread and this installation would be a vector to infect the entire state. I understand the importance of what we do and will continue working until they stop me (or I take leave to escape the BS), but I was really expecting a shutdown or furlough the other week. Really I think either of those would be better than what they did.

Last week the installation commander gave employees that are considered "high-risk" for COVID-19 the option to sign a letter and take 60 days of admin leave unless they are called back sooner. Problem is that nearly everyone signed it, high-risk or not. My hanger usually has about 250 maintenance personnel, Friday we were down to about 30 mechanics, most of which were contractors. Rumor is that they plan to hold everyone to that 60 day letter and require proof of prior condition upon return. Be interesting to see what happens in the next few weeks.
KC-135T Tankers. 1958 &1959 year models. Other than the B-5s, we might be the oldest aircraft in the fleet. They haven't made up their mind as to if they are going to fly them until 2040 or 2050 yet. With the issues the K-46 is having, 2050 is starting to look like a reality.

For those who can't telework, they split the shifts up and day shift leaves before afternoon shows up. Each shift wipes everything down with Clorox cleaner. There was no 60 day Admin Leave option. And they are asking for volunteers to support the State with whatever needs to be done in support of COVID response actions. This is a State activation under the State governor's direction and control.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
KC-135T Tankers. 1958 &1959 year models. Other than the B-5s, we might be the oldest aircraft in the fleet. They haven't made up their mind as to if they are going to fly them until 2040 or 2050 yet. With the issues the K-46 is having, 2050 is starting to look like a reality.
It would almost be comical to be flying a 90 year old aircraft in military service if it wasn't true.

FWIW I think most active duty B-52's were built in the 60's...

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
It would almost be comical to be flying a 90 year old aircraft in military service if it wasn't true.

FWIW I think most active duty B-52's were built in the 60's...
I can't remember when the H models with the "new engines" were built. It could have been the 1960s. I know the earlier models were built right along with the KC-135s, time wise. They even shared the same engine, though the B-52s have eight of them instead of four.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I can't remember when the H models with the "new engines" were built. It could have been the 1960s. I know the earlier models were built right along with the KC-135s, time wise. They even shared the same engine, though the B-52s have eight of them instead of four.
I think all the G's were guillotined in the mid 90's, just the H's (61-63) are still in service. So your birds would be older.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
Speaking of the BUFF... you all should read the book Flight of the Old Dog by Dale Brown. a bit dated now, but a good look at the cold war and what that plane can do with a bit of modification. (think stealth technology applied to it)

AJ

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
My friend was a crew cheif on a b52 for several years. The stories he told about those planes were hilarious. They are tough but old and they had to resort to some redneck engineering to fix things some times that just became SOP.

He sent me a recording of a conversation between him, the flight crew, and the tower once about a can of spaghetti sauce leaking onto the instruments that was priceless...

Flight crew "uhhh tower we have a red goo dripping onto the panel"

Tower "is it hydraulic fluid, crew cheif is here"

Flight crew "we're gonna taste it to see what it is"

Tower "DO NOT TASTE THE GOO!"

crew cheif "yea most goo isnt good for you"

Flight crew "we're tasting it..."

Crew cheif "ok then"

Tower "REPEAT DO NOT EAT THE GOO!"

flight crew "its spaghetti sauce"

Crew cheif "I told you not to put food above the instruments!"

Tower "god dammnit"

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD

For those who can't telework, they split the shifts up and day shift leaves before afternoon shows up. Each shift wipes everything down with Clorox cleaner. There was no 60 day Admin Leave option. And they are asking for volunteers to support the State with whatever needs to be done in support of COVID response actions. This is a State activation under the State governor's direction and control.
The C-130 are almost in the same boat. I think they are still building them, but even the old stuff is still hanging around. Not going to be much longer and the F-15s will be in a similar position, rumor is they are getting ready to buy more of them. I think I'll be retired before they even think about removing the C-130 or F-15 from the fleet. Of course if things keep on the way they are I might early retire, in which case even your KC-135 will outlast me.

The 60 day leave deal was intended for people that have an immune deficiency and are at high risk for complications from the virus. It was majorly abused and I expect some big repercussions from it, unless the union stops it like they usually do. AFGE 987... useful for the worthless, worthless for the useful.

I wish they would let people volunteer for stuff like that. Not much that we could do for COVID-19, but I would have gladly volunteered to help with recovery after some of the hurricanes and stuff that hit the area. Active Duty might get gotten that option, but civilian employees don't.

Speaking of the BUFF... you all should read the book Flight of the Old Dog by Dale Brown. a bit dated now, but a good look at the cold war and what that plane can do with a bit of modification. (think stealth technology applied to it)

AJ
I think I read that one years ago. Probably bout time to give it another read. Used to read a lot of his stuff when I was working for the library system, but that was almost 20 years ago now. Kinda forgot about him.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
The government has to be really careful with that, unless things really hit the fan, only the National Guard can activated for civil functions and it must be under the jurisdiction for that State’s governor.

People are already screaming “marshal law” as it is. Throw federal troops in there and they will go absolutely bonkers.

As far as the C-130s, I thought they retired all the really old models. Planes built in the 80s and up were all that was in service.

True on the F-15. As much as the military likes stealth, it’s too expensive to go all stealth. Heck, the Air Force has been trying to retire the A-10 forever but nothing else can do it’s mission like it can. There are times that the only thing that works is a slow, flying “tank” with a big gun. Fast and pointy just doesn’t have the pay load and fire power to match it.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Not out of work yet. Looks like our two week plant shutdown will be extended at least 3 extra weeks. This is the end of week 1 of 5. I will probably be required to use one week of vacation. That would be great if I could go somewhere. I guess I'll get some stuff done around the house and on the Ranger like some of the rest of you are already doing. I'm really itching to go somewhere fun, though. It would be a good time for a road trip.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
well, im out now, been off a month so far. manufacturing has been super slow and from march until july there was only 2 out of the 8 sand core machines running-per shift. well when the $ ran out for the “paycheck protection plan” loan, the inevitable happened. 8 layoffs (of the 14 employees) and just day shift instead of 2 shifts. Was told a date of aug 1 to called back but I seriously doubt it. Especially since I was the last hired (started a year ago, aug 20). Im doing ok though, Im a full year ahead on payments with the escape and might be able to fully pay it off in a couple of weeks. My other half still has her job, its been odd going back to sleeping at nights and being up all day, I try to do all the housework and cooking so she can just rest when shes not working, since that extra 600/week runs out at the end of the month I’ll be looking for something different, even a crappy jiffy lube job will be better than sitting at home and only drawing 200/wk. Ive been getting a few projects done, getting the garage cleaned up and tending to the garden. These hot days would of been hellish at work. Not sure whats next, but I’ll be ok, I know theres others out there worse off than me.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
My pizzeria is back doing pre covid numbers... not the 10% up I was trending but I'm grateful to be where we are. The PPP dollars were helpful to keep us afloat and viable during the early stages.

I know for some the extra dollars for unemployment were a blessing. But from an employer perspective... I can't find anyone to hire. I've been told by several that they make more on unemployment then accepting the position and working 40 hours. I see it on the news people saying there is no work and benefits need to be extended. There is work... but with the extra dollar benefits that have been available they just don't want to work. I just can't compete with free money.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
well, im out now, been off a month so far. manufacturing has been super slow and from march until july there was only 2 out of the 8 sand core machines running-per shift. well when the $ ran out for the “paycheck protection plan” loan, the inevitable happened. 8 layoffs (of the 14 employees) and just day shift instead of 2 shifts. Was told a date of aug 1 to called back but I seriously doubt it. Especially since I was the last hired (started a year ago, aug 20). Im doing ok though, Im a full year ahead on payments with the escape and might be able to fully pay it off in a couple of weeks. My other half still has her job, its been odd going back to sleeping at nights and being up all day, I try to do all the housework and cooking so she can just rest when shes not working, since that extra 600/week runs out at the end of the month I’ll be looking for something different, even a crappy jiffy lube job will be better than sitting at home and only drawing 200/wk. Ive been getting a few projects done, getting the garage cleaned up and tending to the garden. These hot days would of been hellish at work. Not sure whats next, but I’ll be ok, I know theres others out there worse off than me.
I have noticed lot inventory has been drying up at the local dealers both auto and ag. Chrysler looks really bad, they are down to maybe 10 new vehicles... looking pretty bad around Deere too.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!

Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I was out of work the end of March through April. I was given the option to come back part time the first week of May and managed to keep myself busy enough to work full-time since then. It looks as though I will be helping out in some of the local offices in CA, OR, WA, and NV starting next week.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals