• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('83-'97) More 2.3L power? Where to get parts?

ebadger03

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger XL
Transmission
Manual
Hey y'all I drive a 97 ranger xl 2.3L, its a rwd with a 5 speed manny. I know theres not a lot to do for BIG power gains but id like to be able to get on the highway or pass people without pissing my pants. What I've found so far is; headers, intake, 19lb injectors and possibly a tune. What truck/car could I get the 19lb injectors off of at a junk yard? And are there any other suggestions for a little extra power?

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Whatever extra power you'll manage to squeeze from that motor with the mild modifications mentioned.. i pretty confidently say won't require larger injectors. I find it unlikely just an intake and an aftermarket header would increase flow enough to warrant more fuel than the stockers could handle. In my experience, factory injectors can have upwards of 60hp "left in them" before their duty cycle gets too high. Injectors really don't mind getting worked. They actually work better at a higher d.c than a lower one. When I was "one of them" the entire "stage 2" subaru community were running their injectors at 90-95% duty cycle no problem. It wasn't until 260whp not being enough for someone that larger injectors were needed.. And at that point.. You'd more or less want a built motor.

Last edited:

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
3f2.jpeg

Bigger injectors don't add power. The computer will just get confused and alter the pulse width to compensate.

The stock intake already flows more than 100% of the engines volume so nothing to be gained there. And headers just change the power band. The factory manifold is set for mid range power.

Without turbo or supercharging there's really no simple mods you can do for power that aren't just a waste of money.

Changing the gearing is an option that will give you more "power" though.

sheep herder

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
If it ain't broke, break it.

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
I don't count birthday's anymore...just happy to be looking down at the ground instead of looking up
Not so easy, but big gains.....

Attachments

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Last edited:

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
If you don't mind a little drive, here is a junkyard in Nebraska that has two different 2.3 turbo engine assemblies for sale. Maybe you could get some parts to set yours up for a turbo.

Engine Assembly
Ford Mustang
155 COMP 55 OIL SHARP OK TURBO
0​
A​
$675​
ABC Auto Salvage, Inc. USA-NE(North-Platte) Request_Quote 1-800-422-4683 Request_Insurance_Quote
Live Chat
1182​
Engine Assembly
Ford Thunderbird
CORE 2.3L,TURBO
97,000​
A​
$Call​
ABC Auto Salvage, Inc. USA-NE(North-Platte) Request_Quote 1-800-422-4683 Request_Insurance_Quote
Live Chat

Here's a place in Nevada with one.

Engine Assembly
Ford Thunderbird
2.3,FLR,3AT,RWD,CORE
RJA485
$250.74​
B & R Auto Wrecking, Carson City USA-NV(Carson-City) E-mail 888-752-1118

ebadger03

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger XL
Transmission
Manual
Whatever extra power you'll manage to squeeze from that motor with the mild modifications mentioned.. i pretty confidently say won't require larger injectors. I find it unlikely just an intake and an aftermarket header would increase flow enough to warrant more fuel than the stockers could handle. In my experience, factory injectors can have upwards of 60hp "left in them" before their duty cycle gets too high. Injectors really don't mind getting worked. They actually work better at a higher d.c than a lower one. When I was "one of them" the entire "stage 2" subaru community were running their injectors at 90-95% duty cycle no problem. It wasn't until 260whp not being enough for someone that larger injectors were needed.. And at that point.. You'd more or less want a built motor.
Thanks for the info it was much needed. This is my first truck that I've actually put work into the engine and was just curious on what could be done besides what I've seen on other threads. Maybe I could look into some turbos liked mentioned later in the thread.

ebadger03

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger XL
Transmission
Manual
View attachment 44913

Bigger injectors don't add power. The computer will just get confused and alter the pulse width to compensate.

The stock intake already flows more than 100% of the engines volume so nothing to be gained there. And headers just change the power band. The factory manifold is set for mid range power.

Without turbo or supercharging there's really no simple mods you can do for power that aren't just a waste of money.

Changing the gearing is an option that will give you more "power" though.
I've seen some stuff about swapping to a 4:10 ratio over the 3:75 (I think that's right) I know I could get the axle at a junkyard but would it be plug and play?

Fredness

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Sport Trac
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You can find 4.10 rears in 7.5" and 8.8" - look for the Limited Slip version.
There are good gains with gearing. Great place to start.

Folks can talk all they want about Injectors, but when you actually do the math, you realize that the 14lb injectors are poop.
(112HP x 0.55BSFC on Gasoline) / (4 Cyl x 0.80 Injector Duty Cycle) = 19.25 lb/hr #BecauseMath
#FunWithMath: Step it up to 100% Duty Cycle! (Warning! Possible Engine Damage!)
(112HP x 0.55BSFC on Gasoline) / (4 Cyl at 100% Injector Duty Cycle) = 15.4 lb/hr, again #BecauseMath

My 1989 Mustang 2.3L puts 70.1HP to the ground and is MAXED OUT on the 14lb fuel injectors, in 2nd gear and started to run out of fuel at 5K RPMs.
[Edit: I have lower fuel pressure and a return style system]

Now, injectors will NOT add HP, but they directly support HP. If you do anything more than exhaust or intake, you already NEED injectors.
Step up to 4 hole injectors, the idle quality is awesome.

Injectors.jpg

I went to 36# 2019 F150/Mustang FFV Injectors and USCAR Connectors - but this requires a tune and new connectors/adapters.
Even "Way Over Injectored" in stock form, the idle quality is SO much better than stock.

The thing to remember is 90+% of the HP potential of this platform is in the cylinder head.
You will need to make the vast majority of your mods there.

Last edited:

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Remember, engines is goes vroom.

ebadger03

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger XL
Transmission
Manual
You can find 4.10 rears in 7.5" and 8.8" - look for the Limited Slip version.
There are good gains with gearing. Great place to start.

Folks can talk all they want about Injectors, but when you actually do the math, you realize that the 14lb injectors are poop.
(112HP x 0.55BSFC on Gasoline) / (4 Cyl x 0.80 Injector Duty Cycle) = 19.25 lb/hr #BecauseMath
#FunWithMath: Step it up to 100% Duty Cycle! (Warning! Possible Engine Damage!)
(112HP x 0.55BSFC on Gasoline) / (4 Cyl at 100% Injector Duty Cycle) = 15.4 lb/hr, again #BecauseMath

My 1989 Mustang 2.3L puts 70.1HP to the ground and is MAXED OUT on the 14lb fuel injectors, in 2nd gear and started to run out of fuel at 5K RPMs.
[Edit: I have lower fuel pressure and a return style system]

Now, injectors will NOT add HP, but they directly support HP. If you do anything more than exhaust or intake, you already NEED injectors.
Set up to 4 hole injectors, the idle quality is awesome.

View attachment 44928

I went to 36# 2019 Mustang FFV Injectors and USCAR Connectors - but this requires a tune.
Even "Way Over Injectored" in stock form, the idle quality is SO much better than stock.

The thing to remember is 90+% of the HP potential of this platform is in the cylinder head.
You will need to make the vast majority of your mods there.
so with just an intake and exhaust I should be good with the stock injectors but if I say port and polish the head I'd probably need them?

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
so with just an intake and exhaust I should be good with the stock injectors but if I say port and polish the head I'd probably need them?
You dont want to be to lean. Tune, Tune, Tune, Talk to an tuner and engine builder before you dump a bunch of money especially in that 2.3 world.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals