• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cylinder head options

Nez'sRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys! While I'm a ways off from actually getting started, I plan on rebuilding a spare 2.9 I have and putting some serious performance upgrades into it. Drawing tons of ideas from Petroleum junkie! I know one of the limiting factors will be heads.
I've come across several online that claim to be better than stock. Has anyone put them to the test? Which do you guys prefer? Any options not on my list that you recommend?
Promaxx heads:
King heads:
Performance plus:

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
I have Promaxx. They aren't bad, just don't get them from J&C in WV.

J&C recycles used valves, springs, etc. into fresh castings and pass them off as quality. They check nothing, regrind everything sloppy AF, and sell it. Amateur work and utter trash.

But, the castings themselves are just fine.

You'll need copper head gaskets if you polish the combustion chambers. The normal MLS gaskets will hang into the chamber if they are polished. I just trimmed my coppers back and ran with it.

I'll see if I can dig up the guy I purchased the coppers from. $50-70 iirc and can be reused ad nauseum.

I drilled my head gasket coolant passages out to 1/4 as well to mitigate cyl 3 and 6 overheating as they are want to do from residues. No results yet, still under assembly.

Nez'sRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
I have Promaxx. They aren't bad, just don't get them from J&C in WV.

J&C recycles used valves, springs, etc. into fresh castings and pass them off as quality. They check nothing, regrind everything sloppy AF, and sell it. Amateur work and utter trash.

But, the castings themselves are just fine.

You'll need copper head gaskets if you polish the combustion chambers. The normal MLS gaskets will hang into the chamber if they are polished. I just trimmed my coppers back and ran with it.

I'll see if I can dig up the guy I purchased the coppers from. $50-70 iirc and can be reused ad nauseum.

I drilled my head gasket coolant passages out to 1/4 as well to mitigate cyl 3 and 6 overheating as they are want to do from residues. No results yet, still under assembly.
Awesome! I'll probably opt for the bare heads anyway... I may want to buy the tougher valves. This block is gonna be on the engine stand for a while, so I have time to think about it. I've got morana's custom rockers in sight, as well as good headers and possibly modding the Euro intake onto it (we'll see though, I really like how the stock plenum looks!). Also really interested in megasquirting it...
Your build is definitely an inspiration! Thanks for sharing your finds and progress with us!

When I bought the truck, it's current engine (which was itself a replacement because he cracked the original) had a crack on #6. Definitely curious to see how the hole drilling works out.
Thanks again!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals