• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What pull behind Camper?

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Guys, I think I just did a dumb. I bought a trailer. The positive: (1) it's really small (the window that's partially obscured by the shed in the picture is the back corner, and the Google search for specs turned up a weight between 1500 and 1900 lbs); (2) it's in pretty darned good shape considering (3) they were only asking $800.

Please tell me there's hope that I didn't do the dumb I think I did.

View attachment 43291
I don’t think you did a dumb. As long as the trailers in ok shape, you did a smart.

Volkshook

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XL
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Pretty sure it's stock. I could be wrong.
Tire Size
P215/75R15
My credo
Nothing personal. I'd rather be driving my Bug.
Does it come with the 5th wheel mount for the truck bed?

Been looking for something similar myself.
It did not. I'm going to have to figure something out.

I don’t think you did a dumb. As long as the trailers in ok shape, you did a smart.
God bless your kindness. Even if it's a bald-faced lie, it's a kind lie and I like it :)

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
I don't count birthday's anymore...just happy to be looking down at the ground instead of looking up
Guys, I think I just did a dumb. I bought a trailer. The positive: (1) it's really small (the window that's partially obscured by the shed in the picture is the back corner, and the Google search for specs turned up a weight between 1500 and 1900 lbs); (2) it's in pretty darned good shape considering (3) they were only asking $800.

Please tell me there's hope that I didn't do the dumb I think I did.

View attachment 43291
Looks to be in nice shape, but carefully check the interior where walls meet ceiling and floor for any sign of water leaks.
There were dozens of manufacturers that made small 5th wheel campers in the 70's and 80's, but hard to find one in good cond now. One I have pictured went for over 3 grand.
The weight may be advertised as around 1500 lbs or so, but that is a totally stripped empty camper. It is VERY easy to add weight via water tanks, food, clothing, pots/pans/dishes/ tools/bedding, ect.
Expect to easily add 500-600 lbs to the trailer weight.
Been camping via trailer and motorhome for almost 50 years now, and I can guarantee you will add at least that much weight for a week on the road.
But, at least you won't have hotel bills, and you will always know who slept in the bed the night before.
Pic of an old Tivoli 5th wheel matches your rig, but many campers were made by different divisions owned by parent company. Shasta, Midis, Coachman, all made trailers using same basic layout.

Attachments

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Don't you know there are 2 types of campers in the world. Ones that leak and ones that are gonna leak. It's a fact.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Don't you know there are 2 types of campers in the world. Ones that leak and ones that are gonna leak. It's a fact.
+1

Do lots of research on how to maintain your camper.

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Maintenance goes a LONG WAY with longevity for rv's and campers. I always tell people that if you take 2 campers of the same year, make and model and have 2 owners, one who cleans and maintains it every year and the other who doesn't do anything but the bare minimum and the one that has been taken care of will look 5-6 years newer than the other.

Maintenance is the hardest thing for people to understand apparently.... Tell them they need to reseal some stuff after a year and they flip out saying "it's brand new why should it need this now?"

They also feel like EVERYTHING should be covered under warranty.

Volkshook

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XL
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
P215/75R15
My credo
Does it come with the 5th wheel mount for the truck bed?
Remember how I said it did not? {*starts nervous laughter, builds to hysterics*}

Okay.

The seller kindly offered to tow it 40 miles to where I live. He just didn't get off work until two hours after me. I think, "Great! I'll use that time to hit the DMV for plates." Hah! I'm sure I'm the last one here to find out, but the majority of us in line had no idea we were supposed to have made an appointment ahead of time. Okay, I think, well I'll spend a bit longer at the DMV. No biggie.

Finally get to the front of the line, obtain a number, number gets called...and DMV lady informs me that the wrong part of the title got signed. *sigh* But hey, DMV lady says I can get the seller to hand write a bill of sale, send me a picture, and we can move forward. Except getting ahold of the seller took too long and I had to leave. Now, DMV lady says the window for accepting the photo-bill-of-sale has closed and I must have the appropriate signatures. Fine.

Drive to rendezvous spot to meet the driver towing the rig. Text him to let him know I'm there. He had trouble with the truck he was using, and is switching to a different truck, so he hasn't left Salt Lake. Mean time, I finally realize that, although I have technically reserved a storage spot with U-Haul, I have yet to obtain means of access or codes or anything from the actual affiliate. And it's 5:00. I call the storage unit and the manager does pick up; I plead for him to still let me drive the 15 minutes from where I am to where he is and still set up the spot; he kindly gives me a cell number to call when I arrive and off I go. Not an ideal spot, and not level, but I can put the camper there, now. Bleed some cabbage for a deposit.

Rush back to the rendezvous spot. No seller. Trouble with the second truck. He thinks I may need to get it professionally towed. I decide I will drive 40 miles to Salt Lake to figure something out, like maybe I can rent something from U-Haul that can tow a gooseneck, because I don't have the hitch on my RBV. U-Haul is a bust (they wanted me to use a flatbed...). I arrive where the second truck broke down, and it's running, and the seller thinks it can make it to where the trailer's headed after all. Great! I fork over some gas money and we hop on the freeway. Somewhere between 6 and 9 miles down the Interstate, the truck pulling the trailer spews its full supply of transmission fluid all over the pavement (we did manage to get everybody to the side of the road).

It's probably 8:00 by now, and the tow vehicle is officially dead. Seller calls home for his regular truck to come tow the dead truck back, and I start calling professional tow companies...none of whom want to pull a gooseneck style fifth wheel. However! Yay! Found a guy! He'll charge me five bills because he has to get the special truck, but I still have hope I might get home with light left in the sky. We start disconnecting trailer from dead-truck. But! Tow driver arrives. He looks at the hitch. He pulls me aside and says, "I ain't pulling that." Evidently, all fifth wheel hitches are and always have been the same, and this one is not, and he'll try and find someone willing to give it a try.

Meanwhile! (Yes, it KEEPS GOING!!) Drivers passing by have been buzzing in the ears of the Utah Highway Patrol about all these vehicles on the side of the road, and Incident Management has arrived to see what's what. By this time, I have lost track of how many people I have explained the situation to, all of whom have been unable to grasp "I want the trailer, not the truck" in fewer than three tellings, in an environment louder than an AC/DC concert. Incident Management determines that we really need to get these vehicles off the highway, but they're not willing to tow the trailer either. They will, however, tow the dead truck and let it tow the trailer. Yay! Off the freeway, and now we're on the phone with yet another tow company, explaining at least three times what gives, when suddenly, tow guy says he too can tow the truck with the trailer (tomorrow).

And the seller says, "It's just going to be scrap. There's no point trying to resurrect it; it's not worth it." And somewhere in all this, since the rig is parked behind a Maverick store, I suggest I can go inside and talk to the store personnel about not panicking about the mysterious truck/trailer behind the store. We have largely decided, by now, to exchange dead truck for three bills (bleed more cabbage). And who is parked in front of the store? Why it's a tow truck. And just for the hell of it I mention our plight to the driver's partner. And this guy is willing to pull the whole rig right away (about 10:15).

From there things went acceptably well. I got home a little after midnight, and I have the truck with the hitch that matches the gooseneck on the trailer that no other hitch in the world apparently matches.

TL;DR: Today sucked. I bought a dead Chevy 1500. Getting my trailer delivered nearly doubled what I've paid for it (delivery cost just $100 less than purchasing it in the first place).

My next shift at work starts in five hours.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
wow, thats about as bad as when I put my work car in a feild after work back in feb. by the time I got it back to the house it was time for my next (10 hr) work shift to begin.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Remember how I said it did not? {*starts nervous laughter, builds to hysterics*}

I have the truck with the hitch that matches the gooseneck on the trailer that no other hitch in the world apparently matches.
If I didn't have a little sympathy, I'd say pictures or it never happened.
I would like to see pictures of the one of a kind hitch.​
Glad you got it home and everyone is safe.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If I didn't have a little sympathy, I'd say pictures or it never happened.
I would like to see pictures of the one of a kind hitch.​
Glad you got it home and everyone is safe.
FWIW most campers are fifth wheel, most utility trailers (like flatbeds, livestock trailers etc) are gooseneck. There is a difference. Camper kinda looks like a gooseneck which is weird. It might take a smaller ball than normal if it is.

Fifth wheel is like a mini semi-truck hitch that sits higher:

Gooseneck:

A little camper like that wouldn't NEED the same size ball as a 30' triple axle livestock trailer so it may have an odd size ball.

Just going out on a limb here, if the condition of the sellers trucks are any indication you probably need to be resealing your camper ASAP...

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I was thinking it looked like what Scamper uses for its 5th wheel RV - which is part 5th wheel/part gooseneck/part regular trailer ball.

Attachments

Volkshook

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XL
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
P215/75R15
My credo

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Wow! That looks so "rigged". Should work fine. But I wouldn't trust those safety chains.

Really glad your adventure turned out ok.

Volkshook

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XL
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
P215/75R15
My credo
Really glad your adventure turned out ok.
It's funny you should have chosen that word. Everybody and their mother was using that word the other night, too, including me. I kept picturing that bit in The Princess Bride where Buttercup's dress catches fire, and after Westley puts it out he casually says, "Well, now. That was an adventure, wasn't it?"

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals