• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Too much rust?

Too much rust?

• for that price, yes

• for any price

• no

Results are only viewable after voting.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
It's not worth 5k..... Start at 2500 and let them talk you up. I wouldn't go over 3k for it since it is a standard cab.

Pros that I see:
-It's not that rusty for it's age
-Body is in pretty good shape
-Seats look nice
-4wd

Cons:
-standard cab
-seeps oil from just about everything that holds oil which isn't good
-rack and pinion is leaking too
-low miles worry me, things tend to break around 110-120k from my experience, tends to be one thing after another
-fleet vehicles are never taken care of as good as you think they are, people will see if it will do a burnout, how fast does it get up and go, maybe even a few neutral drops if it was someone young and dumb driving it
-price is way too high for all the oil leaks.... That should either get fixed for the price they want or they should come down a LOT

If you had to fix all the oil leaks, rack and pinion leak, new front tires, new shocks and whatever else breaks or needs replaced when the shop has it you would probably be looking at a $1500-2000 shop bill to have it all fixed right.... Just think about that stuff before you commit. If you are a female I would see about taking a guy friend with you to be the "tough guy"..... It's not right but dealerships and salesmen will take advantage of women when they think women don't know anything about vehicles. Take a guy with you who won't take bullshit and is not scared to tell the salesman "NO" a time or two.

It's a standard cab ranger so I doubt it will sell fast, worst thing you can do is spend all your money on a truck that needs money put into it.....
In the rustbelt thats a 4500-5k truck.

2500 bucks in MI buy you a high mileage (over 200k) 4.0 '3rd gen 4wd thats rusted and dented to beat hell.

If your after a fullsize, your looking at pre 92 and iffy body for a 4wd, pre 96 if your willing to deal with mechanical issues and rot.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
It's 2wd...

All I can say is it seems a bit high in price... and also the minute Mr tough guy shows up to talk me down and try to tell me what is what... I tell him to go kick rocks and have a great day.

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You're not a female so you wouldn't need a tough guy... May not work for you but it sounds like they are trying to get as much as they can out of her.... It leaks damn near every fluid it has which would be a big deal killer for most people. The shop should either fix the leaks and ask the same price or drop the price.

Rusty, it's just a standard cab ranger, nothing special about it.... Not worth that price even with it being in the rust belt. Mine wasn't rusted out and I could barely get 900 for it, low miles and with extras... and mine had way more options than that truck too. She should keep looking... I think she sees a pretty blue truck and fell in love too fast. There's a lot better ranger's out there in the $3-4k price range. I'd find some and post them but it's not worth it, if someone wants to buy a truck that needs work for retail prices then that's on them.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
If that thing is worth 5k my truck should be worth 20k :icon_rofl:

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Rusty, it's just a standard cab ranger, nothing special about it.... Not worth that price even with it being in the rust belt. Mine wasn't rusted out and I could barely get 900 for it, low miles and with extras... and mine had way more options than that truck too. She should keep looking... I think she sees a pretty blue truck and fell in love too fast. There's a lot better ranger's out there in the $3-4k price range. I'd find some and post them but it's not worth it, if someone wants to buy a truck that needs work for retail prices then that's on them.
In michigan thats a 4-5k truck. Trust me lol

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
That truck is way over 10 years old. So expect unusual things to break on it. All the oil seals are old, so that is where all the leaking is coming from. If you are going to work on it yourself, talk them down and buy it. If you are going to have a shop work on it all the time, you had better buy a newer truck. You will be ahead making payments on newer truck that is reliable, rather than making payments to a shop to work on a truck that breaks down all the time.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
How much are they asking for the truck?

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
The rust on the frame isn't bad. My 1998 was worse and it's still on the road with it's current owner. I think the price is a bit high to me. I would offer $4,000 and see if the seller is willing to deal. If not, I would keep looking. I wouldn't pay more than $5,000 with the needed repairs but I would try to use the cost of repairs as leverage to bring the price down. I also wouldn't let the seller offer to fix it in order to bring the price up. They may do shoddy repairs to keep their cost down and their profit margin up. I don't begrudge people making a profit but if it's being sold at a used car shop, I wouldn't trust them to do a proper repair.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals