• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1994 Ranger A4LD Output Seal Working Out

IQ45

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
Truck & I have been together since 1995 when it only had 12K miles. Right at 186k now. I shared this problem in 2008 and not much has changed. No longer taking it on road trips. Every few months the rear seal works out of the tranny & dumps the fluid. Truck and I barely make it home without adding 2-3 qts. and running stop signs, etc. to keep the rpms up so it doesn't lose torque. I measured inside of the housing & outside of the seal and 2.254 on the seal with close to same on housing with no shiny spin marks in the housing This last time it happend I could push the seal most of the way back in with thumb pressure and light tapping to seat it. Had the driveshaft balanced and align it carefully when reinstalling.

Items I'm curious about:
1) Correct orientation of OEM Ford replacement carrier bearing on driveshaft

2) Yoke going in too deeply on transmission seal, especially when load such as 4-500lbs in bed.

3) Does anyone offer a slightly oversized seal or is there something I'm missing in the ouput housing like a sealant or sleeve?

I've reviewed the Ford manual here on TRS and searched posts here as well as on the Net. Posting a few pics for anything you guys might see out of character and could help a fellow Ranger dude out. Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited:

Rouphis

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hm, I would try using a SMALL amount of black rtv on the outside surface of the seal.

-Rouphis

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
take a center punch and very gently make dimples in the housing evenly spaced around the inside of the hole. this will expand some metal outward to help hold the seal. then coat the outside of the seal with RTV and tap it in. have you been reinstalling the same seal when it pops out? you should try a new seal.

it you tap the center punch with too much force the housing will break, gentle means gentle.

IQ45

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
With the new install in 2008 I used a little RTV and wasn't sure if that helped or the silicon caused it to not adhere. Have been using a new seal each time it comes out. Hadn't thought about dimpling the housing. Should probably wipe it out really good in case I create any fragments. The boss suggested some Loctite on it. Might be a bear to remove later.

IQ45

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
update

Thanks for the replies...found an SKF brand seal at Pep Boys that measured 2.257 to everyone else's 2.250. Used some sandpaper to lightly etch the inside of the housing, squirted a little red Loctite on it and drove it home. Let it set overnight before topping off and test driving it. Here is a pic of the two side-by-side. So far, so good.

IQ45

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
I didn't perform my due diligence and knowing most folks enjoy a happy ending...this pic was taken in 2016, the load was 1584lbs. carried 6 miles and the tranny seal stayed in place following advice followed here. The tiny bottle of differential additive has taken care of nearly all of the shudder. I normally don't abuse the old girl, and really should have made 2 trips. She normally just carries a load of brush to the recycle center. Either way, thanks to everyone who contributed!

Attachments

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks for the update and what worked for you.
Nothing like a little time to check out the workmanship...but 9 years?....lol.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals