• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('83-'97) 7volts to fuel pump, crank no start

panzies_n_unicornz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
howdy. new OP big fan of yalls forum. i got a puzzle for ye and im not sure where to post it. my 92 2.3l 5speed ranger lost all power on the highway the other day, stayed running/iddling till i turned it off, since then she will crank with no start. i have fuel in tank, no pressure at schrader valve, fuel pump is getting 7volts, inertia switch is closed and getting 7volts, fp relay is clicking and recieving 12volts from starter side but sending out 7 volts to inertia switch. ground to fuel pump has zero ohms resistance. starter fluid into the intake didnt do anything but i changed the fuel pump anyway. as long as the key is in accessory position the 7 volts is always running, the eec doesnt seem to stop supplying power after the initial priming [which as far as i can tell isnt actually happening becuase 7volts doesnt seem to be enough to power up the fuel pump?]. so after consulting forums and the shop manual im still wondering:
1. is my fuel pump supposed to be getting 10-12volts not 7 and how that could be happening
2. if the ecm-side of the relay is always supplying power, how can i test for a short to ground betwen the relay and eec and how can i figure out if i have an ecm issue
3. is there anything else yall suggest checking out

thanks!!!

Alan_nc

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Have you tried pulling the fuel pump rely switch and jumping between 30 and 87 terminals. This should bypass the computer and inertia switch and send direct power to the fuel pump.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Have you tried pulling the fuel pump rely switch and jumping between 30 and 87 terminals. This should bypass the computer and inertia switch and send direct power to the fuel pump.
...no...

But if the relay is bad, which your description concludes to me ...it should clean up the voltage. If it does not there is a corrosion issue between it and the inertia switch....replace wire.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Agreed ^^^^
12volts into relay and 7 volts out means bad relay or bad connection at relay.

Alan_nc

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
If you think it's the fuel pump relay just swap it with one of the other relays - look on a electrical diagram - they are all most all the same. I think the AC relay is right next to the fuel pump relay. Put it in the fuel pump relay spot and try and start it.

panzies_n_unicornz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
sorry for the delay n thanks for the replies. i changed the relay and am now hearing the pump turn on and create a suction sound in the tank but it is still at 7volts not 12v and is not turning off after initial priming. i finally checked ignition and i dont have sparks from either coilpacks... the icm is getting 12v and has a good ground. i am hand-cranking the engine and reading output voltage from the crankshaft pos sensor and am getting 10v flat no oscillation to zero volts. could my cka be bad ?

panzies_n_unicornz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
the magnet had broken off my crankshaft timing sensor . has anyone replaced one if these? not sure how to line it up with the positioning tool thaf comes with it

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Just FYI
You will see 5 to 8volts on the fuel pump's 12volt wire with key on/engine off, that is NORMAL, it has no amps, it is the monitor voltage from the computer
There is only 12volts for 2 seconds, 2 seconds, when key is first turned on, then 5 to 8volts after that, so no fuel pump
Fuel pump does not get 12volts full time until engine starts, above 400RPM
You can have someone cycle the key off and on to see if you are getting the 12v for those 2 seconds
This is the same on ALL Fords with electric fuel pumps, not a Ranger thing

In a 1992 2.3l the Crank Sensor is just above the crank shaft timing belt gear, it reads a "wheel" that spins with crankshaft
No magnet

There may also be a Camshaft sensor, on driver side of timing belt cover, also no magnet

The crankshaft positioning tool lines up the sensor so it doesn't touch the wheel while its spinning, its not for TDC, its just so there is no touching, and pre-covid-19, it was ahead of its time :)

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals