• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

hows everyones "quarantine" going?

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah, liberal leave. I will go in tomorrow, see what's going on. And make a determination if I want to stay or take another two weeks. I usually work on the Navy E-6 aircraft. But we don't have one right now, so I'll likely be working on E-3s. I'd rather work on E-6s. They're not as dirty since they're not as old. LOL!!

I don't have much annual time, only about a week and a half. But now around 320 hours of sick time. I've been there a bit over 10 years now.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I hear ya on the dirty aircraft. I worked F-15s most of the last 15 years. Work has temporarily dried up on that aircraft due to airframe wear and waiting on parts. I volunteered for a temporary move to C-130s last August so stay busy, boy are they filthy in comparison. The C-130 seems easier to work on, but I kinda can't wait to get back to my 15s.

Areas I work in keep running out of work and it's hard to stay at work with nothing to do, so leave gets burned. On the plus side I'm making 8 annual per pay period now, so if I can break my leave burning habits it should build up quick.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah, right on breaking the leave burning part. I'm 58, I don't want to end up like people I've known recently who retired, and in their last year had 700 + hours of sick time to burn. I don't plan on retiring til I'm 68 and have 20 years. But we'll see how that works out. I'm fit and healthy, work out every day. May happen, if the economy doesn't burn to the ground first. We get C-130s at Tinker for paint and a few other things. I've only worked the E-3, E-6 and B-1bs though.

The Navy is stingy at times with giving us an E-6 for maintenance. There are only 16 of them. One of them is tied up with a broke back. Got ran into a building on a move, the top of the vertical hit the top of the hangar and did some major internal damage behind the aft pressure bulkhead. The bulkhead itself is destroyed. All the skin on top where the vertical mounts is all ripped up. Boeing is supposed to come and fix it, end of April. Somehow, I doubt that will happen now.

We are always having to replace spars on the leading and trailing edges, due to lack of sealant when they were built. They corrode badly, then crack. Then we have to rip it apart and replace them, usually on a moments notice.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Im going dark. God bless... see you on the other side

CameraZOOM-20120122120302205.jpg

Attachments

Warren

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Lariat
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
No significant change for my family, really.

I was working in Retail Sourcing until January. My employer wanted all their manufacturing done in China so my day-to-day was in Zhejiang and Guandong. Kept hearing whispers of a "severe pneumonia" spreading back in December and early January but didn't really pay much mind. Then suppliers in Hubei (where Wuhan is) began warning that they'd stay shut down after Chinese New Year celebrations for some time. That wasn't normal. Toward the end of CNY, the harder quarantines of Hubei began in earnest... which then spread outside Hubei into other provinces. Stuff got scary real fast. I was already dissatisfied with my employer due to other reasons so this was the last straw - I put in my resignation and took a different job in Millwork Sourcing.

My new employer prefers European suppliers. Much easier to deal with but I didn't expect the virus to spread to Europe at all. Given the EU though... can't say I'm surprised. The state government here in Georgia considers Millwork essential so my job is safe for now. The wife works in a law firm and folks still need lawyers, so she's okay for now, too.

I had been preparing since the end of January - just in case. So we're good on essentials.

Mostly... I'm enjoying the absence of traffic. I get to spend more time with my boys. Have them repeating the mantra, "Wash your hands! Don't lick things! Do your part!" everyday. The neighborhood has come alive again. I've seen my neighbors more in the past 2 weeks than in the past 5 years. The elderly put lists of needs on their doors for the younger of us to get while we're out. Kids play in their yards again. Houses are getting cleaned. Cars washed. Folks smiling. It ain't bad, really.

Now the wife is talking about homeschooling the boys next year, which I am VERY happy about. My folks are out in the country already so they're fine. Meh. This is frightening but my pop always told me:

"Success is always on the other side of fear. Push through the fear and you'll find everything you ever wanted."

I think that's where we're all at right now. Just gotta push through.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
In honor of all the people who refuse to listen to the “stay at home” orders in their state, county, town, etc...

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
In honor of all the people who refuse to listen to the “stay at home” orders in their state, county, town, etc...

View attachment 39484
Unfortunately part of the problem is the government as usual picked certain businesses to stay open claiming they are "essential". Sorry but liquor stores, fast food restaurants, and I swear every other business out there is deemed essential, none of which are. The only way to help would be close everything down completely....allowing fast food & other restaurants to remain open simply by having a drive-thru and/or carry out service isn't keeping anyone safe at all, its just as if they didn't close the dining room, still have to deal with the sick population, then the employees bring it back into the store and spread it around.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Didn't you just say something about the truckers needing food?

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
The strippers are out there working for you guys in Oregon:

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I'm "working" from home. Been doing online training and stuff that I need to catch up on by August, this is a perfect time for that. Working out way more than I normally do. Also just about done with an 8.8 swap in the stepside truck. I want to have that thing driveable by the time this virus business is gone, that's my goal.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
I'm suddenly hungry, really hungry

edit:

yes dear, nothing dear, no really dear,, I'll never do,,, OK, you'll never again,, your mothers?? but there's no heat in the garage

Last edited:

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Yeah, right on breaking the leave burning part. I'm 58, I don't want to end up like people I've known recently who retired, and in their last year had 700 + hours of sick time to burn. I don't plan on retiring til I'm 68 and have 20 years. But we'll see how that works out. I'm fit and healthy, work out every day. May happen, if the economy doesn't burn to the ground first. We get C-130s at Tinker for paint and a few other things. I've only worked the E-3, E-6 and B-1bs though.

The Navy is stingy at times with giving us an E-6 for maintenance. There are only 16 of them. One of them is tied up with a broke back. Got ran into a building on a move, the top of the vertical hit the top of the hangar and did some major internal damage behind the aft pressure bulkhead. The bulkhead itself is destroyed. All the skin on top where the vertical mounts is all ripped up. Boeing is supposed to come and fix it, end of April. Somehow, I doubt that will happen now.

We are always having to replace spars on the leading and trailing edges, due to lack of sealant when they were built. They corrode badly, then crack. Then we have to rip it apart and replace them, usually on a moments notice.
34 here and 15 working on 16 years. IIRC my MRA is 57, so 23 years left to meet MRA. Not sure I can go that long and keep my sanity, I know I can't if I keep turning a wrench. Working on other options, so we'll just have to see what happens in the next few years.

C-130s get painted more than any other plane I've seen. We're all the time getting them in here for mid-cycle paint. The F-15 only got painted when it came in for depot maintenance. We also have that problem with the Navy C-130s, not that the base hasn't messed up enough in their own right.

Good luck with Boeing. We've got 15+ grounded fighters due to cracked longerons. Most have been grounded since 2018, Boeing was supposed to have the parts to us a year ago. Last I heard we are still waiting.

The strippers are out there working for you guys in Oregon:

Might have to drop a suggestion at the local club. I've never actually set foot in the place and considering what I see in the wild around here I'm not sure that I want to. It does seem like a good idea to keep people working and support the virus response efforts.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'm 58 and still working on the planes. I'm Sheet Metal though. I am not having any problems doing it, but, I work out every day, and anytime something needs doing that requires strength, for some reason, all eyes turn to me. Also very healthy, haven't had a cold or the flu since I divorced in 2012. My wife's daughter lived at home and has a son, so things came home from school. I no longer have that so have been super healthy these last eight years. I do sit-ups with a 50 pound dumbbell behind my head. Pull-up, push-ups, crunchies, can curl a 60 pound dumbell 20 times. Yeah, I'm doing good. I like working sheet metal. And that transfers to home, where I sometimes make parts for others. A friend has a Lightning, as I do. The original owner cut the fog light brackets off to put some cheesy chineese lights on. He bought some factory lights but had no idea how to put them on. I looked at mine, and made duplicates out of aluminum, in my garage. He has factory fog lights on his truck now.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals