• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Reassurance needed

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
That didn't sound that bad...

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Well the engine sounded cold and the fan was making a bunch of noise... so perhaps I'm not hearing you noise as well as you do standing next to it.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
That didn't sound bad to me either. My 1999 and 2001 Honda CR-Vs with properly adjusted valves sounded noisier than that.

1987ranger12394

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Engine was cold. So it probably isnt that bad if it sounds normal to yall. I'm just paranoid I guess. Its definitely the loudest valves I've ever experienced in a personal vehicle. Last two f150s had 351w's not nearly as loud.

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Well the engine sounded cold and the fan was making a bunch of noise... so perhaps I'm not hearing you noise as well as you do standing next to it.
It does have a very light tick to it, just like mine did (I could hear it in the video).

Engine was cold. So it probably isnt that bad if it sounds normal to yall. I'm just paranoid I guess. Its definitely the loudest valves I've ever experienced in a personal vehicle. Last two f150s had 351w's not nearly as loud.
I don't know if it's "normal". But, it sounded like mine did. And, it sounded a LOT quieter than the tick that my parents' K-car had. That K-car almost sounded like an electric typewriter.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
But really… how can you take a guy named Gump serious?

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
You're paranoid, and that's normal. I get parinoid after any time I have a head or even a lower intake off. You care about your truck and take pride in your work. Both good characteristics. ????

Very surprised by fast startup. Fuel, valves, spark, and rings healthy. Good work

I do hear some tick, and it sounds like mine. Like eerily simar. J&c heads?

Either way, get us a warmed up after a 20 min drive at idle. But so far all I hear is a busted fan clutch and a very healthy iac valve ??

2.9 IACs make me laugh. When loud AF, they are healthy. When quiet and normal engine sounding, you're about to lose your iac.

Was, and remains the hardest thing to tune on a 2.9. They're revvy little sh*ts..

I could be wrong. I often am. But so far I hear normal cologne v6.

... Efan>clutch fan on 2.9. If you flush TF out of your block, port open up the coolant port on the back of the lower manifold gasket to allow better coolant flow across the heads and go to a high flow thermostat (listed on build thread) you can dial a 2.9 in with a thermostat with single degree precision. They're water pumps are scary good if coolant passages are squeaky and allowed to flow.

2.9s are very simple. Ford Europe designed a revvy little v6 for middle management types. That car, Sierra, became a symbol of UK and oddly Russian blue collar bootstrap motorsports. The cosworth / Brian hart versions of their heads were designed to run formula.

So we brought them here, ripped their lungs out ,fed it crisco and corn, shoved a cork up its ass and made it pull beds full of shit up hills on arguably the worst auto AND manual transmissions ever made by Ford.

And we wonder why it had ****ing issues.

Ford engineers:
"yeah, just Cortina/Sierra/mondeo world sedan platform v6 and throw it in a hastily slapped together pickup on North America. It'll be fine. What? It doesn't meet their emissions? Ruin it till it does!"

That's ford. That's how ford thinks.

Moving on...

Make it healthy now. Start using a high moly oil. Then, as comfort increases, let it breathe. Port intakes, intake spacers, merkur scorpio twin throttle body swap, HEADERS (Satan made your exhaust manifolds. One of mine broke a manifold eyelet out of one of my old heads), high volume oil pump, do some exhaust cfm math, intake tube mod, etc.

Only way to make one happy driveline wise is 10 inch clutch and a m5od geared for 2.9.

Ask a few guys on here. Clogged catalytic converters, baloney skin stocker tires, and in fwd, mine smoked the **** out of my clutch when I dumped it in reverse to get out of a sand pit.

The 2.9 got pi**ed and the stock newish clutch wS the weak point.

Keep em cool, keep em clean, they stay happy.

ExploreNW

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
Tire Size
235/75/15
Video that was requested.
That's ticking? :icon_surprised: Y'all need to listen to my F250, thing sounds like a diesel at 196k and I still pull full loads with it...

In all seriousness. It sounds like normal injectors firing to me. Me, being not a qualified mechanic or anything, would put another 100k on that motor as-is.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Do the 2.9L mafia guys have like... super power rings?

So when you all... like hold hands... and say the magic words... you all reach the happy ending together?

ExploreNW

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
Tire Size
235/75/15
and say the magic words
From what I hear they go way out in the middle of nowhere dragging the dead 2.9. They unhook it, chant "F*** your 4.0" and all let blood flow from their knuckles. Brings back dead 2.9s every time apparently.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
... If you go efan, um, have a backup. Some leave their clutch fan and tools to change in their back seat. You DO NOT EVER want to let that thing overheat.

I kid you not, I have three separate electric fans and methanol injection along with high flow thermostat and a backup electric water pump bypassed around the rad and to the heater core. Yes you read that correctly. I am insane. That's why they put up with me here. I think. Cats.

Moving on!

Electric bypass water pump in line with heater core.

So. Let's say you do dumb shit like me, and your rad gets ****ed and you lose primary cooling. So, dead cologne (listen up pre 95 4.0 ?) if that happens.

DWIGHT SCHRUTE FALSE MEME

If you have a pump in line with your heater core, you have a bypass built in that works in a situation where you lose your rad, OR thermostat, OR water pump OR all of them at once.

Your engine is now overheat proof enough that you can literally damn net take a round to the block and as long as you have moly enriched bearing surfaces in the block thanks to high moly oil, you can literally run this thing till something way worse and more severe happens.

We did damn near this in ww2 to get fighters back to somewhere soft to land. Taking a 8mm to the oil pan was no longer fatal. Rommel did this when he was draining his oil pans for fuel.

Idk how to make this shit any more bulletproof at this point other than Kevlar valve covers.

Hua. Bulletproof valve covers. Could be useful.

Thought about another tech submission but I have too much shit to do.

Other reason I looked into itI looked into running two like this as a full water pump delete. **** belt drive. I want my alternators on my diffs. Yes. Plurals.

Merkur scorpio lower intake has this plumbing built in with a really cool dual thermostat design. Yes, that's what that weird recess and missing port behind your thermostat is. It's also what the secondary coolant return passage on your timing case cover is.

With current tear down, going to full Sierra / scorpio everything block oriented.

Utilizing full dual coolant system from euro block with BMW 7 series electric backup. This is freebie u pull yard stuff. methanol tank doubling as emergency coolant reservoir. Case of water in the back seat just in case.

may retain ranger oil pan for deeper sump. Idk yet.

But yeah, scorpio had virtually all of this from the factory. Ranger had none. Gee, why did scorpio never crack a head...

Oh. And scorpio exhaust manifolds are SUUUUUPER easy to make into turbo manifolds.

And they sell turbo manifolds for the 12v in Europe if you know where to look. Single and twin. There's one I know of running compounds.

Just saying. Dish top pistons man...

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you have a pump in line with your heater core, you have a bypass built in that works in a situation where you lose your rad, OR thermostat, OR water pump OR all of them at once.

Your engine is now overheat proof enough that you can literally damn net take a round to the block and as long as you have moly enriched bearing surfaces in the block thanks to high moly oil, you can literally run this thing till something way worse and more severe happens.

We did damn near this in ww2 to get fighters back to somewhere soft to land. Taking a 8mm to the oil pan was no longer fatal. Rommel did this when he was draining his oil pans for fuel.
Granted it is aircooled but...

The toughest fighter we had in WWII...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals