• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Wenches?

Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Ill take my sewing machine sounding, head cracking, tempermental 2.9.

They just got character, spunk, and attitude.
I liked the sound of the 2.3 and 2.6.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Making a claim against Japanese 4 cylinders is vague. Overall, I think most of them were very reliable.
The Mazda Duratec was probably the best engine put in the Ranger in all seriousness.

I liked my 2.8, the base engine was stupid tough.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
The 3.0 is an entirely different engine. It was OK for it's time. If you are thinking of the problem it had with leaking head gaskets, that wasn't an unusual problem for engines built in the late 80s through the 90s. I think all the car manufacturers had problems with leaking head gaskets at some point, and the 4.0 had the problem in the mid-90s. I think it was caused by phasing out asbestos and hotter engine temperatures.

Making a claim against Japanese 4 cylinders is vague. Overall, I think most of them were very reliable.

I don't have any problems with any of the Cologne V6 engines. They were all solid. The only real issues I can think of was up to the 2.8, the original timing gear set that was passed down from the v4 had a cam gear that where the gears were made of some plastic-type material that would fatigue by about 60K miles. Supposedly, the V4 and the V6 were among the first engines that were mass-produced, so my thinking is that the pressed on plastic gear thing was the fastest means of producing the cam gear at the time, and 60K miles were high-mileage in that era. The North American version of the 2.8 had a common issue with the exhaust valve seats cracking due to a hot spot on the head, but I never heard of an outright failure from this. The crack just showed up but didn't get any worse at some point. Some of the 4.0s had an issue with the timing chain guides, but a revision was done to correct that problem. I've had a lot of fun with these engines over the years. I've rebuilt or worked on every version except the 2.9L (I never owned one). I also rebuilt a 2.3L version of it. I knew someone years ago who liked to use both the V4 and the V6 in kit cars and helped him pull several V4s out of Sonetts in Pick'n'Pull and rebuilt them. The V4 was identical to the V6 in those years, with the only difference being the number of cylinders and piston diameters. Most of the other parts were interchangeable with the V6 up to the 2.6L version.
Your youtube link is unavailable.

I wasnt so much calling out the reliabilty of the foreign 4 bangers...because back when these things were new no one really gave two thoughts to it as they rolled it off the lot.

I was more talking about power, which woulda and coulda been a selling point for the truck.

Say what you want about the 2.9 (or 2.8 for that matter), but next to a 20/22R or whatever nissan was running the little colonges were pretty damn gutsy. Even the 2.0/2.3L limas were pretty damn weak next to the 2.8/2.9.

The 2.0 made what? 78hp/98ftlbs?
The 2.3 made what? 88hp/110ftlbs?

The 2.8 beats the 2.0 by 42hp and 52ftlbs and the 2.3 by 32hp and 40ftlbs.

The 2.9 smacks everything beating the 2.0 by 62hp and 72ftlbs, the 2.3 by 52hp and 60ftlbs, and the 2.8 by 20 hp and 20ftlbs.

Im not sure what nissan/yota had back then for power, but i highly doubt they even beat the limas.

The 3.0 beats the 2.9 for reliabilty (although in my findings ive never really had any serious issues with the 2.9), but alot of people have, but alot of people also had 3.0 issues.

If you drive two similar trucks with the 2.9 and 3.0 youll see what im saying about power. I think the 3.0 has the advantage once you get up in the higher revvs and speeds, but 1st thru 3rd i will almost stake anything that 2.9 is gonna embarass it.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What!!!!!!

The pushrod 4.0 will pull all other Ranger motors inside out (not the Ecoboost trucks). It's not even close! A 2.9? A 2.8? A 3.0???? What???!!!!! We all spent 20 years throwing those motors away so we could install a 4.0. Offroad, a 4.0 in place of a 2.9 means you can climb over boulders with the clutch up and not have to rev and slip your way along.

I hope nobody really defends the position that any of the smaller Colognes (or the 3.0) are better than the 4.0.

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
None of them would exist if it weren't for the Tanus V4.
Never heard of a Tanus. I've heard of the Taunus, it's a German Ford mid-sized car, if I'm not mistaken. So, tell me.... WTF is a Tanus?

Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Your youtube link is unavailable.

You will have to click the "watch this video on Youtube" link.

I wasnt so much calling out the reliabilty of the foreign 4 bangers...because back when these things were new no one really gave two thoughts to it as they rolled it off the lot.

I was more talking about power, which woulda and coulda been a selling point for the truck.

Say what you want about the 2.9 (or 2.8 for that matter), but next to a 20/22R or whatever nissan was running the little colonges were pretty damn gutsy. Even the 2.0/2.3L limas were pretty damn weak next to the 2.8/2.9.

The 2.0 made what? 78hp/98ftlbs?
The 2.3 made what? 88hp/110ftlbs?

The 2.8 beats the 2.0 by 42hp and 52ftlbs and the 2.3 by 32hp and 40ftlbs.

The 2.9 smacks everything beating the 2.0 by 62hp and 72ftlbs, the 2.3 by 52hp and 60ftlbs, and the 2.8 by 20 hp and 20ftlbs.

Im not sure what nissan/yota had back then for power, but i highly doubt they even beat the limas.

The 3.0 beats the 2.9 for reliabilty (although in my findings ive never really had any serious issues with the 2.9), but alot of people have, but alot of people also had 3.0 issues.

If you drive two similar trucks with the 2.9 and 3.0 youll see what im saying about power. I think the 3.0 has the advantage once you get up in the higher revvs and speeds, but 1st thru 3rd i will almost stake anything that 2.9 is gonna embarass it.
You really have to compare the engines during the similar production years due to changes in emissions, ignition and fuel injection over the years. The 20/22R was very comparable to the 2.3 if you look back to the mid and late 70s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Pinto#Powertrain

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_R_engine#20R

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
What!!!!!!

The pushrod 4.0 will pull all other Ranger motors inside out (not the Ecoboost trucks). It's not even close! A 2.9? A 2.8? A 3.0???? What???!!!!! We all spent 20 years throwing those motors away so we could install a 4.0. Offroad, a 4.0 in place of a 2.9 means you can climb over boulders with the clutch up and not have to rev and slip your way along.

I hope nobody really defends the position that any of the smaller Colognes (or the 3.0) are better than the 4.0.
My 3.0 is better than any 4.0 out there. There, I said it! Take that!

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
What!!!!!!

Will...where did you come from? My arch nemisis.....lol. Just screwin with ya.

I wasnt trying to say the 2.9 was actually stronger then the 4.0, i was saying that for all the extra displacement it doesnt seem as good as it should be.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I only came here because of the title of the thread. Wenches. And yet here you are talking about things to hoist motors. Boring. LMAO!

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
I only came here because of the title of the thread. Wenches. And yet here you are talking about things to hoist motors. Boring. LMAO!
We never stay in topic. You may want to check another thread... there's a good chance that one has moved on to wenches by now.

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I thought Wenches were supposed to bring beer. ??

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I pooped in the furnace.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What!!!!!!

In my example the deck was seriously stacked against the 4.0 and it was only 0-20. Lighter Ranger with 3.73's would make difference.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals