• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Campers For Rangers

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
Here are a couple I found at an RV show. If you like more than a tent but don't want a trailer. Double check the width in bed but both manufacturers say they will fit mid-size trucks like the Ranger.

Rayzr. I was in one of these at an RV show. Not bad for the size although it's heavier than the Capri Camper.
https://www.travelliterv.com/come-and-see-our-models-of--rayzr

Capri Camper. The Cowboy model is very light at 695 lb if you don't add too many options. The cabover Retreat model is heavier at 1000 lb dry so you might want air bags for a Ranger, but you can get an optional shower, cooktop, sink, etc.
https://capricamper.com/

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Four Wheel Campers makes some nice ones too, with models designed specifically for small trucks. I toured their facility in CO a couple years ago, they are a quality product.

https://fourwheelcampers.com/

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
That rayzr looks very rangerable. The others look iffy to me anyways.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Yeah, there are a few slide in models out there. Getting some sort of suspension helper or installing the 1,750 lbs leaf springs would probably be a good idea. Cloths, food, bedding, and what not add up fast.

Biggfoot44

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 2wd
Transmission
Automatic
Interesting ! I'll study the links, and be back later tonite with rambling about pickup campers , mid size trucks, and suchlike .

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
Yeah, there are a few slide in models out there. Getting some sort of suspension helper or installing the 1,750 lbs leaf springs would probably be a good idea. Cloths, food, bedding, and what not add up fast.
I would need air bags or helper springs just for the beer.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Apologies: Rant over brochure "dry weight" and "ready to roll weight"

I have an Adventurer 76R camper for my Ranger. Dry weight - base started at 1,140 lbs in brochure, which given I have payload package #2 (should have been 1,550lbs) sounds like it should work.

But that brochure base weight is some mythical number that a production camper doesn't come close to. And doesn't include: jacks (125 lbs for manual ones, more for electric), battery (60 lbs), microwave (30lbs), propane (20 lbs)...I can't remember what else, but basically I have 2 options: jacks and microwave. Why they don't include the propane and battery is beyond me... The "as delivered" weight was >1,500 lbs. I had to add platform so camper wasn't sitting on cab roof: it's just 4 - 2x4s and sheet of 1/2" plywood (30 lbs) and Torqlift front & rear tie downs. (50 lbs).

Before we set out we added ~120 lbs of clothes, pillows, sheets, comforter, pots, pans, cutlery, soap, towels, food, gear, tools, etc. We didn't fill up any water, and the Adventurer 76r doesn't have "facilities" so, no black water.

At the other end, the 5.0 & auto (200 lbs), ac (40 lbs), trailer hitch (40 lbs), rear doors on SCab (90lbs), Explorer 8.8, 30.5x10.5R15s (60 lbs), etc dropped my payload to ~1,100 lbs. Still pretty close to payload package #1's 1,200 lbs.

When we scaled the truck, the front axle was near GAWR and rear was ~3,150lbs! (~400 lbs over the GAWR on door jamb and just under GAWR for the Expo axle), we won't talk about GVWR.
Note: removing spare, tailgate and the missus kicking me out gets truck close to legal.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Apologies: Rant over brochure "dry weight" and "ready to roll weight"

I have an Adventurer 76R camper for my Ranger. Dry weight - base started at 1,140 lbs in brochure, which given I have payload package #2 (should have been 1,550lbs) sounds like it should work.

But that brochure base weight is some mythical number that a production camper doesn't come close to. And doesn't include: jacks (125 lbs for manual ones, more for electric), battery (60 lbs), microwave (30lbs), propane (20 lbs)...I can't remember what else, but basically I have 2 options: jacks and microwave. Why they don't include the propane and battery is beyond me... The "as delivered" weight was >1,500 lbs. I had to add platform so camper wasn't sitting on cab roof: it's just 4 - 2x4s and sheet of 1/2" plywood (30 lbs) and Torqlift front & rear tie downs. (50 lbs).

Before we set out we added ~120 lbs of clothes, pillows, sheets, comforter, pots, pans, cutlery, soap, towels, food, gear, tools, etc. We didn't fill up any water, and the Adventurer 76r doesn't have "facilities" so, no black water.

At the other end, the 5.0 & auto (200 lbs), ac (40 lbs), trailer hitch (40 lbs), rear doors on SCab (90lbs), Explorer 8.8, 30.5x10.5R15s (60 lbs), etc dropped my payload to ~1,100 lbs. Still pretty close to payload package #1's 1,200 lbs.

When we scaled the truck, the front axle was near GAWR and rear was ~3,150lbs! (~400 lbs over the GAWR on door jamb and just under GAWR for the Expo axle), we won't talk about GVWR.
Note: removing spare, tailgate and the missus kicking me out gets truck close to legal.

7k rolling wt for my ranger was avg back in the d35 explorer 8.8 days. 8k plus was regularly done.

its why i have full floater rear 60 now.

wouldnt bat an eye at 2k in gear on a expo axle and 3600 overall.

but i have had some design plans for a slide in.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
The Capri Cowboy says 695 lb so even if you add the optional a/c and jacks, beer, a bit of food, other camping gear, beer, clothes, and beer, you should still be no more than 1000 lb.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I think you are under estimating:

Brochure Capri Cowboy weight: 695 lbs; Manual Hapijacks 125 lbs; Coleman A/C 96 lbs = 916 lbs (and probably more as production camper will be heavy based on my visits to RV shows).

Refrigerator (40 lbs, I like my beverages cold), propane (20 lbs), Torqlift tie downs (50 lbs) and SoB, you're over 1,025 lbs, and you have yet to add clothes, pillows, sheets, comforter, pots, pans, cutlery, soap, towels, food, beverages, gear, tools, etc. And that assumes the battery (60 lbs) was included in brochure weight - it isn't in most cases.

The fact that a Ranger could carry >2k lbs, and 8.8 is good for >3.5k lbs doesn't matter when the weight Nazi's in BC run you over scales - you exceed the sticker on the door, and you're fined and parked. Same issues as towing trailer - what the truck can physically do, can legally do and really should do are separate.

p.s. Original Rangers are 40.5" between wheel wells; midsize Cowboy is 42" :(

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It is kind of funny, down here nobody cares about campers. Unless you get into a wreck, then someone probably would but otherwise if it fits it ships.

Biggfoot44

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 2wd
Transmission
Automatic
Don4331 hit upon the Open Dirty Secret from back in the era that slide in pickup campers were mainstream RVs . All the F -250 Camper Specials and C-20 Camper Specials in the real world were overweight, especially on the real axles .

But back in the day " trucks under 1 ton" were rarely weighed , or subject to " No Trucks " restrictions , at least in the US .

And Camper Spec 3/4 tons held up to the abuse reasonably well , at least for occasional camping/ vacation use .

The F-350 Super Camper Special , and GM C-30 Dually actually could be within ratings , but by that point new sales of Slide Ins were waining , and Fifth Wheels were the big growth item in RV's .

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Don4331 hit upon the Open Dirty Secret from back in the era that slide in pickup campers were mainstream RVs . All the F -250 Camper Specials and C-20 Camper Specials in the real world were overweight, especially on the real axles .

But back in the day " trucks under 1 ton" were rarely weighed , or subject to " No Trucks " restrictions , at least in the US .

And Camper Spec 3/4 tons held up to the abuse reasonably well , at least for occasional camping/ vacation use .

The F-350 Super Camper Special , and GM C-30 Dually actually could be within ratings , but by that point new sales of Slide Ins were waining , and Fifth Wheels were the big growth item in RV's .
Those F350 SCS trucks were rated up to like 4000lbs IIRC. Thats some serious slide in camperage. My 77 3/4ton camper special could carry a 2700lb one.

16DEN099-2192.jpg

You cant tell me that isnt heavy. Plus, the overhang in killer which is why the SCS trucks used the longer cab/chassis wheelbase.

Some of them slide ins got so big they had wheels under the overhang!

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
I don't count birthday's anymore...just happy to be looking down at the ground instead of looking up
How about this rig from the 60's.
Don't think my 2.3 could handle it, but a Ranger with a 4.0 and some added heavy duty springs might be able to.
;missingteeth;
Grumpaw

Attachments

Last edited:

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
I always thought something like the 1969 Jeep CJ-5 camper with its own axle would be great for my Sport Trac. :D

www.cj5camper.com

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals