• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need advice on a Mitsu FM132 5th gear noise

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Just converted my 2WD '90 Bronco II from an A4LD to an FM132, from a '90 Ranger donor. The new trans shifts great, no noises EXCEPT 5th gear. I know about the weak 5th gear bearing and sleeve. In 5th I get a growling noise, really loud under load, and it almost goes away if I let off and let it coast. Reverse works fine, no noise. I would greatly appreciate any advice on these questions I have:

1) It'll be a little while before I can tear back into this truck, and I'd like to drive it some until then. If I don't use 5th, can it be driven without further damage?

2) I have always done my own wrench work, do have the shop manuals, but NO experience inside a transmission. However, I'm seriously considering tackling this myself. In place of the Ford special tools, what have those of you who've done this used, to pull the gear and sleeve from the mainshaft? What tools will I need? (beyond basic hand tools)

3) At minimum I think I'll need a replacement 5th gear bearing and sleeve, and likely a new synchro hub (and shaft nuts, gaskets). Is the updated design sleeve and bearing preferred over the original design parts?

4) Are there any further parts likely to need replacing, once these transmissions start growling in 5th? I know this is guessing, until I actually tear it down, but I'm sure that some of y'all have gone though this before.

5) Any recommendations for parts sources?

6) Any other advice, or tips?

Sorry for all of the questions, and thanks in advance for any and all advice (and especially for any encouragement!).

Robbie

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
( shameless bump : )

Anybody?

Thanks,
Robbie

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
Wait, was the FM132 available in 1990?

Also. Have a complete rebuild kit and new in box FoMoCo gear cluster here for the FM146. If either can be of help, pm me. Want to get rid of both.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
Also, very few of us repair the FM transmissions nowadays. Nearly all of us swap them out for some series of the M5.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I haven't done it. But if I was going to, I would look for a rebuild kit with all new bearings and seals. For tools, I would start with the big hydraulic press (20 ton?) from Harbor freight and a set of bearing pullers and separators. But that's just a semi-educated guess.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Thanks for the responses, guys.

I'm pretty sure that 1990 was the last year of the FM132 in the 2.9L Ranger (i.e.- 2WD). I think that the 2.9 continued one or two more years, but only as a 4WD with the M5OD.

Long story short- I looked for a while for a donor truck, with ALL of the needed "small parts", for me to do a complete, correct conversion in my 1990 Bronco II of the A4LD to a manual (the only sign it was auto is the door sticker). The Mazda (M5OD) was my preference, but finally a complete 1990 Ranger 2.9L with the Mitsu FM132 came up, at a decent price, so that's what I ended up with.

The conversion went great, and I really like the FM132- it shifts great and is quiet, except for 5th gear.

The Ford shop manual leads to believe that I can replace the 5th/reverse parts by removing the output shaft housing and shift rails. As the transmission drives fine, except for 5th, that's the best plan I have now. The truck is 2WD, street only, and not driven hard.

PetroleumJunkie412, I'm sending you a PM. Again, thanks guys!

Robbie

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals