• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Recent content by Zander

1. 4x4 4.0 to 2.3 Duratec Swap

OK thanks that's a good idea, I don't think he's going to try it unless he gets an entire donor truck. To be honest if it was my truck I'd just rebuild the motor that's in there sounds like way too much work to me, but my buddy likes doing this stuff more than myself and is better at it.
  2. 4x4 4.0 to 2.3 Duratec Swap

Huh that's weird, my 2.3 lima is the opposite it gets 23 around town and 23 on the highway lol. What rear end gear does yours have? Mines a 4.10.
  3. 4x4 4.0 to 2.3 Duratec Swap

OK gotcha. I'm in Iowa so not sure if that would matter anyway, we don't have any kind of inspection that I know of.
  4. 4x4 4.0 to 2.3 Duratec Swap

So the rear end of the 4.0 tranny will bolt onto the front end of the 2.3 tranny correct? So it would essentially be keeping the tailshaft housing, output shaft and transfer case from the good truck (4x4) and swapping in a different engine/tranny from the donor (2x4) am I understanding this...
  5. 4x4 4.0 to 2.3 Duratec Swap

Wouldn't that be true of a junkyard 4.0 also? Different VIN? He's not planning on rebuilding the one that's in it
  6. 4x4 4.0 to 2.3 Duratec Swap

W Well on the 96 ranger the 2.3 4wd got 18 city and 23 highway while the 4.0 4wd got 15 city and 20 highway. And keep in mind that was with the weak old lima engine, the duratec had way more power and better mpgs in the 2wd version so I'd expect an increase over the lima. 140 hp is nothing to...
  7. 4x4 4.0 to 2.3 Duratec Swap

Hi guys I have a friend who has a 2002 4x4 Ranger with the 4.0 v6 and 5 Speed Manual and it's been blowing blue smoke for a while. He bought it used so who knows that the previous owner did to it but he was talking about swapping in something that'd get better mileage and I suggested the 2.3...
  8. E brake sticks after rain

So I've had the same issue on both my Rangers, 94 and 97, that if I leave the e brake engaged during a rain or even if it's disengaged during a rain but then I try to use it shortly after, it will stick badly and I'll have to either rock the truck with my bodyweight or use the engine to knock it...
  9. Rattle During Idle with Ac On

I bought a 97 ranger 2.3 2wd 5 Speed and it has a strange rattle when idling in neutral, but it's only audible with the ac compressor is on, and is louder if the headlights are on. So in other words it seems to be when there's a load on the alternator. And it goes away when I push in the clutch...
  10. Low mileage ranger spider gear wear

Hi everyone, I recently noticed that my driveshaft going into the differential has a lot of play. It doesn't seem like there's any excessive backlash between the pinion and ring gear but the spider gears and the center pin all do a lot of moving around. I found a video that shows the exact same...
  11. 96-97+ ranger mpg ratings

Hi I have a quick question, I was looking at the 90's 4x4 Rangers with the 3.0 and stick shifts and noticed that they're rated at 17city/22highway from 1993-1996 but starting in 1997 and on through the 2000s they are only rated at 15city/20highway. So my question is, was there a mechanical...
  12. Crazy Rattling with clutch in

Hi guys, I have a 1987 Ranger with the 2.9 and when I went to start it yesterday it made this terrible rattling/clattering sound until I let off the clutch. Trying to drive it was the same story, whenever the clutch was pressed it would make this terrible sound. It still seems to shift OK and...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad