• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Recent content by WhiteLX

1. Power door lock actuator removal on 1989 Ranger

Anyone have tips on how to remove the power door lock actuators from an 89 Ranger? I have drilled out the rivet and removed the mounting bracket, but I cannot get the tip of the actuator out of the lever on the latch mechanism. The manual says to swing the actuator towards the front and twist...
  2. Replacement heads have 8mm accessory holes instead of 10mm

The machine shop had a slight oversight and ordered the replacement heads (new heavy duty castings, not OE ford or remans) with 8mm accessory holes instead of the 10mm my truck originally had. Is there any reason why I couldn't get the 8mm bolts (and brackets if required) from an earlier truck...
  3. Free floating rocker modification question

I have the aluminum spacers to perform the free floating rocker modification. According to Pat Kuntz, http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/Kunz_Korner.htm, the rocker arm bore should be opened up during this modification. 1. Is this really necessary? Has anyone performed this mod and...
  4. Compression test results on engine with dead cylinder

I performed a compression test on my 89 Ranger with a 2.9L this evening. I bought the truck back from the fellow I sold it to 9 months ago because it developed a horrible miss. I pulled the plugs and every single one of them were black, except #2. The previous owner replaced all of the plugs...
  5. Let's see what's out there....

My 89 Ranger. 3" beams up front, shackle flip overload spring delete in the rear. 16x7.5 Mustang wheels with 225/55R16s. This is what it looked like the day I sold it about 8 months ago. I'll be buying it back tomorrow, although it now has a dead cylinder for some reason. I'll ave to figure out...
  6. Starters

What starters have you guys had good luck with? For some reason my truck just started eating starters out of the blue. Well, I suppose it all started with a broken flexplate spacer. That was replaced and a new flexplate was installed, but ever since i installed a new starter (was on the engine...
  7. Battery light coming on

This is a problem I have had for probably the last year. i can't seem to figure out what is causing it. The truck is an 89 with the 2.9L V6. The battery light on the gauge cluster is coming on. Sometimes it's constantly on, sometimes after driving for a long time it goes out, but most of the...
  8. How can I improve the ride?

I have an 89 ext cab short bed and the ride has been driving me nuts. It's not so bad over large dips or bumps I can feel the suspension working, bump and rebound. Its the small road transitions, patched/cracked asphalt, road reflectors, and the like that are irritating me. Over the small stuff...
  9. Reseal the rear window?

I am needing to reseal the rear window in my 89 Ranger. I finally found out it was the window seal leaking and not the cargo light. The rear window is not a slider if that make any difference. Is this something I can do myself or should I have a professional handle it? Once I fix the leak I...
  10. just started a 3/4 drop

How did you lower the rear? I used I-beams up front and a drop leaf in the back and it looked to be able the same height. Problem with the rear is it was on the bump stops, just a little too low for my taste. I ended up putting the stock leafs back in, flipped the shackles, and removed the...
  11. identifying a good steering gear box?

I need a good power steering gear box for my 89 Ranger. I have found that it crosses with many other Ford trucks thought the 80s and 90s. So I plan to go out to the you-pull-it yard to find one. How can I spot a good power steering gear box? Is there any way to check for excessive wear? I...
  12. Steering wheel/column shake

I have a problem with my 89 Ranger that has been driving me nuts for a while. I get a really bad shake in the steering wheel when hitting bumps or pot holes. The entire column and dash shake as well. Pot holes/ manhole covers really disturb the truck as well, sometimes making the truck hop to...
  13. Shackle flip - Hanger removal. HELP!

I've been working on one side of the truck for a couple hours now and I can't get these stupid rivets off the shackle hanger. I have an angle grinder and an air hammer with chisel. I haven't even gotten one to come off. How do you guys do this? Unfortunately, I am having to do this with the...
  14. Remove the bed by myself?

Has anyone removed the bed and reinstalled it alone? i don't have anyone around that can lend a hand and I want to flip the rear shackles and replace the fuel filler neck. I was thinking I could jack it up a little, put some jack stands under the bed, remove the bolts/screws/harness, and then...
  15. Broken U-joint flange

I have had a little bit of vibration since I bought the truck a couple years ago, but after lowering it recently I noticed it had gotten a little worse. Well, today the flange that attached the rear U-joint to the pinion flange broke at 65mph on the freeway. Yesterday I noticed a metallic sound...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad